PDA

View Full Version : taking fan off

Martin Blair
11-24-2004, 05:53 PM
My friend wants to take the fan off his 450 and just leave it off. I think this is the worst idea yet. Wouldnt the motor overheat without the fan to help pull air? Escpecailly in the XC we race in when it gets covered with mud and no fan I would think it would overheat easy. He thinks it will save wieght, I think he is just going to overheat in first 30min of racing, any thoughts on this?

BOONE450R
11-24-2004, 06:16 PM
for MX maybe, but not for XC the mud would be the end of it. theres not much weight to be saved there.

DirtDevilBT
11-24-2004, 06:40 PM
Plus, the only weight you will be saving is in the wrong place. The front is already light. I rode all day at Glamis and the fan never came on, I don't think is will hurt taking it off as long as there is cool down time inbetween races.

ms250r
11-25-2004, 02:19 AM
You can run the 450 with no fan, but if u are going to be in alot of mud like u said i would for sure leave it on.

Shawn H
11-25-2004, 08:15 AM
JGFARMSRACER
has his fan removed on his 450r but he has a oversized radiator and he has no problems running cross country.

jeepnrocks
11-25-2004, 09:59 AM
sorry but thats just idiotic. tell him to take it off. then that will be one less person you have to worry about beating when you race.

asdf450r
11-25-2004, 01:57 PM
interesting, if you think about it isnt the fan just hindering air flow through the radiator anyway? look at it, it takes up a large portion of the radiator area, unless of course youre doing low speed, heavy riding where its useful.

just thinkin out loud

Punk'd
11-25-2004, 06:44 PM
Thats weird my fan always turns on??

BOONE450R
11-25-2004, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Punk'd

you must be going to slow:o
or your real lean on your jetting

11-25-2004, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Punk'd

huh...mine hasnt turned on ever...im the 1 wanting to take it off...i figure it would save some weight and let the engine power less stuff...i figure there are at least some str8s on each course that would allow my bike to cool...seeing most of them i could hit 3rd or 4th gear...plus there is water on the course helping it cool down...prolly enough to go without the fan im thinkin...but im also thinkin if i go 500cc with my R that i would put the fan back on...but im not 100% sure

jeepnrocks
11-26-2004, 05:08 AM
how much weight could it possibly save ?
I can't believe your fan has never came on either. Even though you probably know this, the fan wont come on when you turn the motor off because of no battery. If you want to save weight put your stock bumper back on instead of an aftermarket one. Better yet look at your tires and wheels to see if you can find a lighter combination. You would see more benefits from reducing rotational mass than pulling off a fan.

11-26-2004, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by jeepnrocks
how much weight could it possibly save ?
I can't believe your fan has never came on either. Even though you probably know this, the fan wont come on when you turn the motor off because of no battery. If you want to save weight put your stock bumper back on instead of an aftermarket one. Better yet look at your tires and wheels to see if you can find a lighter combination. You would see more benefits from reducing rotational mass than pulling off a fan.

well ya i know that...but it could take less energy away from the engine to power the fan...when there is no fan...plus it would prolly save 3 pounds or so is what im thinkin...not sure tho maybe not even 1 being that the fan is plastic...and my fan has never came on since i bought my bike so i dont think i have much to worry about there...but if i go 500cc i bet that i will run into that...so im thinkin about just leaving it on...but im not sure..only time will tell :macho

Punk'd
11-26-2004, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by BOONE450R
you must be going to slow:o
or your real lean on your jetting

lol I dont go slow to often and havent touched my jetting totally stock;)

Martin Blair
11-26-2004, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by XxHonda_RacerxX
well ya i know that...but it could take less energy away from the engine to power the fan...when there is no fan...plus it would prolly save 3 pounds or so is what im thinkin...not sure tho maybe not even 1 being that the fan is plastic...and my fan has never came on since i bought my bike so i dont think i have much to worry about there...but if i go 500cc i bet that i will run into that...so im thinkin about just leaving it on...but im not sure..only time will tell :macho

still yurik tha fan is taking away from fornt end wieght as well, and it doesnt take any power from the motor. The motor is going to turn the stator and make power no matter what, yournot any slower when your lights are on, so why does a fan matter?

11-26-2004, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by HN400exracer
still yurik tha fan is taking away from fornt end wieght as well, and it doesnt take any power from the motor. The motor is going to turn the stator and make power no matter what, yournot any slower when your lights are on, so why does a fan matter?

it jus does...jus like my tail light and headlights...ima get 1 of those maier lookalike CF hoods and my grab bar comes with a # plate ill jus put 238 on it and warped racing under it...ima get my uncle to make me some stickers for us...i jus got done washin my bike...i have no warped stickers on it anymore...all of them are missing letters lol...c if u can make 1 thats a solid sheet instead of 1 letter things...ima get greg at the bbq..whos a super good drawer to make us a tight drawing for stickers...then give it to my uncle and have him make it for us :macho ...we can get a graphics kit 2 if u want

Martin Blair
11-26-2004, 11:28 AM
naw we only have the thin vinal crap, I see what i can do, same here.

If you want to save wieght dont add that hella huge grab bar, or skids, or bumper.

11-26-2004, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by HN400exracer
naw we only have the thin vinal crap, I see what i can do, same here.

If you want to save wieght dont add that hella huge grab bar, or skids, or bumper.

ok i got greg to draw us some sticks...they are BAD...ill have my uncle make them soon...we can make graphics if u want 2...i think i might get some graphics for mine...for the hood, gas tank, part of the rear fenders, and the air scoops...be pretty tight...u should c what he made for us tho..wow they r bad *** :macho

joedirt
11-27-2004, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by XxHonda_RacerxX
If your fan doesn't turn on then it's not taking power away from the engine.
Why not leave it on because you never know when you'll need it.

Punk'd
11-28-2004, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by joedirt
If your fan doesn't turn on then it's not taking power away from the engine.
Why not leave it on because you never know when you'll need it.