PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! Valve adjustment.

BYRD-MAN
11-24-2004, 05:48 PM
I am helping a friend with 3 250ex's. I am doing a regular service on their quads, and I want to check the valves. But I dont know how to get the stupid shaft drive setup on Top Dead Center. I cant see anywhere to get the engine to TDC. Isnt there a access hole that I can insert a 17mm socket and turn the crankshaft manually? Where is it?

Thanks

Old Head
11-24-2004, 06:53 PM
Not sure with the 250 but there are 2 caps on the shifter side of the 400 one to see the t mark and one to turn the motor over. The best would be to get the manual , cause ur gonna need the specs for clearance. No sense checking if ur not sure what feeler gauge to use.

BYRD-MAN
11-25-2004, 12:59 PM
I already know the specs. It is .005". The engine is mounted completely different than the 400. I have done adjustments on my YFZ and it is simple. But I dont know how to set TDC on the 250ex. I dont want to spend $40 for manual when the quads arent even mine.

I thought since people on here have adjusted their valves on their 250ex they might know how to set TDC.

randy306
12-02-2004, 08:15 AM
there is a cranksinspection hole on the left side of the engine by the shifter. you look through there and turn the engine over untill you see a meter that says either TDC or 0. As for turining the engine over you good take off the flywheel cover and turn that with a ratchet that should work or you could take off the cam chain cover and turn the cam to turn the enine over.