PDA

View Full Version : Outerwear: AIRBOX or FILTER??

sleepin400
11-24-2004, 12:24 PM
I was looking into getting an outerwear for my 400 so I could take the lid off.

which one do people prefer?

which one seems to work better for:

performance
and for
functionaly

thanks

dariusld
11-24-2004, 12:57 PM
The one that covers the airbox is hard to install correctly. It comes with velcro that sticks to the airbox. But it comes off easily. You have to do something different to make it stay on. Maybe someone has solved this problem.

GP400
11-24-2004, 01:23 PM
www.ehsracing.com has a cover that works great.

dariusld
11-24-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by GP400
www.ehsracing.com has a cover that works great. Doesn't that cover trap the dirt, sand, water on top of the outerware? I don't know. But by looking at it, thats what looks like would happen. And that is expensive.

GP400
11-24-2004, 01:47 PM
It keeps most of the dirt, sand etc out of the airbox. It is somewhat water resistant, but not waterproof. It offers much better protection that no airbox lid at all.

PunkA$$
11-24-2004, 02:30 PM
I cut a hole in my stock lid, ripped apart my old outerwears prefilter and secured it on top with some metal strapping and rivets. Works great so far. I also sprayed it with some tent sealer (waterproofing mist). My spare prefilter came from switching from K&N to UNI.

TC426EX
11-24-2004, 03:16 PM
Yeah, I agree its MUCH better than no airbox lid at all... I personally run the outerwear cover with the velcro and also an outerwear on my K&N too. The velcro does come loose from the airbox after a while and if youre not careful, it sticks so good that you will tear the outerwear when trying to remove it. If you have the money, then go with the EHS lid, thatll be my next purchase... If not, get the outerwear cover. Either way, if you are running a K&N you want to run an outerwear on your filter regardless, and any of the airbox covers are better than no airbox lid at all!!!