PDA

View Full Version : Big Gun or HMF?

Metzroth
11-24-2004, 09:32 AM
I'm looking for a full exhaust system for my 400ex and I was just bout set on the HMF till i read the Big Gun description. It claims 7-8 HP gains just with system. I also have K&N air filter and Dynojet jetkit waiting till i get my pipe. First of all which pipe would be better power gains/ better sound. If it is the HMF Full over the Big Gun full, then does it come with the quiet core insert for free from C&D like it does direct from HMF? Also just because im curious and performance wise my 400ex is still stock and i'm wondering how much of a difference i will feel with whichever pipe is better, K&N Air filter, and proper jetting? Thanks for help!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid147/p263e969efd6b720a40b6555ed1035c1b/f62a63e1.jpg

cals400ex
11-24-2004, 10:26 AM
the big gun is nice for torque and low end power. the full hmf is great for all around power and much better mid to top end power. i would get the hmf. it just suites my riding style much better.

BassGin3
11-24-2004, 10:18 PM
If you do alot of deep woods riding, which it looks like, the big gun definately makes the EX feel more low end power. It's great romping on the throttle and having the quad lurch out of deep stuff and up hills that you wouldn't have been able to stock. Plus the big gun comes ceramic coated so it looks nice. In the end, it's all up to what kind of riding you prefer. If you'd like to improve low to mid range and also add to the look of your quad with a full exhaust that'll stay nice looking with proper cleaning, get the big gun.

HondaRacing23
11-26-2004, 01:39 PM
I have the HMF and it might be loud but it kicks all the way.

Metzroth
11-26-2004, 05:49 PM
K thanks guys. Since i do all sorts of riding and need some top end too I think I'm going to go with the HMF. If I decide i want some more low end I'll drop a tooth on the front sprocket.

LazeR
11-26-2004, 05:52 PM
I'm sure you will be very happy with your HMF :)

Metzroth
11-26-2004, 05:52 PM
I'm sure I will be too :D

hondarider2006
11-27-2004, 01:34 AM
HMF for sure:devil:

YZ400EX
11-27-2004, 11:52 AM
Before I bought my HMF I had a big gun full system and I loved it..tremendous power over stock, but definately a low end pipe..Got tired of it and wanted something new so I went with HMF..the HMF is louder, but you can feel the power thoughout the powerband of the engine more..It just depends on what kind of riding you are going to do, Both pipes are great, but I do like my HMF a bit better..I ordered mine directly from HMF and I didnt get a quite core so I wouldnt assume you will get one from them..you may wanna ask them (whoever it is) when you order..I believe they are $20 extra..You will be happy either way you go..Good Luck

Ralph
11-27-2004, 11:56 AM
Go with the HMF, they support the website and make a quality product. Their pipes create great a great improvement over stock and are the same if not better than big gun. Also, when you buy an HMF you know your going to get quality service and they will help you if you ever run into a problem with their pipes.

Metzroth
11-27-2004, 12:41 PM
Full or slip-on? a guy i talked to that owns a quad repair shop said he had a full and rode pretty much the same quad with a slip on and didnt see much difference, not a $200 difference anyways.
And yes im going with HMF

Ralph
11-27-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Metzroth
Full or slip-on? a guy i talked to that owns a quad repair shop said he had a full and rode pretty much the same quad with a slip on and didnt see much difference, not a $200 difference anyways.
And yes im going with HMF

For a stock engine the Slip on will do fine. But the header reacts alot more with a built motor.

Metzroth
11-27-2004, 01:23 PM
BAH guess ill go for the full, i plan on rebuildin engine to a 416 once i get my job and a car. I can't buy the slip on now and the header later can i?

YZ400EX
11-27-2004, 01:26 PM
It would just be best if you got it all at once..

Metzroth
11-27-2004, 01:28 PM
Im a po person :( i can either get slip on and new tires and rims or full system. Right now all i do is slide around in the snow and mud. I need some tires. I'mlucky if i can climb a moderately steep hill in dry conditons. Anyone wanna send me stockers for cheap :D

Ralph
11-27-2004, 01:39 PM
go for a slip on with some nice tires. Why dont you reuse the stock rims or what you have now?

Metzroth
11-27-2004, 03:31 PM
stock rims are bent to hell from last owner lol