PDA

View Full Version : Valves leaking

QuadJunkies
11-23-2004, 04:51 PM
Ok...As most of you all know we have a Doug Nicholas Stage 1 Motor. We had about 1.5 tanks of gas on it before the tranny went. we are getting ready to reassemble and after noticing a big difference in colors on the vavles,we determined that all of them were leaking...Now after lapping the vavles, there is 2 out of 4 of them were not seating properly.What do we do next????

Could it simply be that its becuse there hasnt been enough time for it to seat since its only ran a little over a tank of fuel. Is anyone has any better of suggestion it would be greatly apprectiated.. :)

mojoe2878
11-23-2004, 06:26 PM
check the valve seat and see if it is in specs, the 3 angle valve job on the 400 can be easily messed up if someone has reground them. if they look ok the try lapping the valves some more and see if they seat any better. are you putting the valve back in the same hole they came out of ? how are you check for leaks? the best way is with some type of solvent poured in to the intake and exhaust chambers and watching to see if it leaks out.

QuadJunkies
11-23-2004, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by mojoe2878
check the valve seat and see if it is in specs, the 3 angle valve job on the 400 can be easily messed up if someone has reground them. if they look ok the try lapping the valves some more and see if they seat any better. are you putting the valve back in the same hole they came out of ? how are you check for leaks? the best way is with some type of solvent poured in to the intake and exhaust chambers and watching to see if it leaks out. Thats exactly what we have done so far to check for leaks, this is in reguards to the Predators Vavles. :) could it be simply because there hasnt been enough time for them to seat since they are new Valves or should a Vavle seat almost immediately??:confused: My Ex is fine ... ;)

mojoe2878
11-23-2004, 08:32 PM
oh i thought you were workin on a 400ex.
thay should seal up pretty good even though they are new, some leakage (very little) on a new valve is ok because they can take sometime to seal sometimes, thats what the lapping is for to help them seal . how bad are they leaking? is it leaking out fast or is it a real slow leak? if the seats and faces look good and arent burnt and the leak is at a minimum then i would put it back toghether and give it some time to seat in there good with some riding.

QuadJunkies
11-23-2004, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by mojoe2878
oh i thought you were workin on a 400ex.
thay should seal up pretty good even though they are new, some leakage (very little) on a new valve is ok because they can take sometime to seal sometimes, thats what the lapping is for to help them seal . how bad are they leaking? is it leaking out fast or is it a real slow leak? if the seats and faces look good and arent burnt and the leak is at a minimum then i would put it back toghether and give it some time to seat in there good with some riding. I think thats what we will do ;)

QuadJunkies
11-23-2004, 10:14 PM
this is what they looked like before trying to Reseat them...We tohught the colors were odd but found out that the rust colored is atucally a GOOD color and that possibly the one with the yellow ring is the one not seating properly. This was the one that leaked the most also.

QuadJunkies
11-23-2004, 10:15 PM
this is gookin pretty good though..... :D

DieselBoy
08-05-2006, 11:56 PM
tina- how much did your new valves set you back?

DieselBoy
08-05-2006, 11:57 PM
tina- how much did your new valves set you back?

edit: oh my god, i just realized this is an old old thread....my appologies.