PDA

View Full Version : Front and back wheel spacers

FasstMidnightZ
11-23-2004, 04:39 PM
i'm planing on getting a full set of durablue wheelspacers . i heard that you will lose some of the handling is that true if so what is good about them

theTman
11-23-2004, 04:41 PM
front=bad if you do alot of jumping
rear=itll be ok

300ex-boy
11-23-2004, 04:48 PM
I heard it puts alot of stress on the wheels but i dont know...

smith_400ex_213
11-23-2004, 09:14 PM
yes they put more leverage on ur axle causeing it to bend and as for the front it will wear on ur ball joints....i would recomend not getting them

cdalejef
11-24-2004, 07:17 AM
BAD BAD BAD!!!

dirtmomma
11-24-2004, 08:35 AM
Yes they are bad for JUMPING!!! We run them on my 300 & blaster for flattracking. We only run rears on the 300 & I will say that I just replaced the hubs due to stress on them from jumping :o as for the ones on the blaster they have never been jumped so they've held up great.
For those of US THAT CAN'T AFFORD arms & axles & if your NOT jumping w/ them they work good yes you do get some bump steer up front but it's liveable.

Jason250ex
11-24-2004, 09:00 AM
is that just w/ durablue spacers or wheel spacers in general??

FasstMidnightZ
11-24-2004, 09:02 AM
thanks for all the replies i dont do to much jumping i guess ill go ahead and get them

Jersey450R
11-24-2004, 09:09 AM
I dont see how the billet ones can be that bad...the others besides billet aluminum can be bad though.

red2004 TRX450R
11-24-2004, 09:13 AM
My friend had spacers on the front of his Shee and he all so turned the front wheels around. Let me say I would never do any thing like that.
He let me ride it and I went to go over a log at like 5mph and the left wheel turned at a 90-degree angle. I was like o shoot I broke it. I got off and kicked it back straight and it went back!

He said it does that all the time!!
All the time I would never ride his bike again. I would have been real cool if it hit the log at like 50MPH LOL

FasstMidnightZ
11-24-2004, 09:17 AM
:huh i dont under stand what ur sayin r u talking about the wheelspacers or fliping the front rims

drifterx
11-24-2004, 10:12 AM
I got em on the front of my 300, i don't do much jumping at all, occasionally i do, about 5 feet or less though, and thats only like 1 time a month. THey've held up great, and made a pretty good difference in the handling, plus nobody makes a-arms for the 250, so i'd get em. I'm gonna get some burguard +2+1's when i have the dough.

FasstMidnightZ
11-24-2004, 10:21 AM
yea i'll tell my dad thats what i want for christmas

wilkin250r
11-24-2004, 12:28 PM
You know that feeling when you hit a rock or a root, and your bars jerk out of your hands. That will get worse with wheel spacers. It will also require more force and strength to turn your wheels. It will also increase your chances of hitting a tree, bush, or root in tight terrain.

If you jump, it will put more stress on your spindles, hubs, lug nuts, and axle. They are not made for jumping. Now, that doesn't mean that you can't jump at all, just don't jump big, or you're likely to break something.

That's the bad stuff.

However, it WILL make your quad wider, improve cornering stability, and ultimately allow you to ride more aggressively. It will allow you to rail through the corners and push your limits just that much further.

If jumping isn't really your thing, and you ride in very open areas (like dunes) without much chance of catching a rock or root, then I definitely recommend them. You'll love the increase in stability.

FasstMidnightZ
11-24-2004, 01:18 PM
how high can you jump with them . and is that the #1 reason why people dont like them other than that there good ?

wilkin250r
11-24-2004, 01:50 PM
Jumping and feedback through the handlebars (that twist/jerk when one tire hits a rock) are the main reason people do not get wheel spacers. Also, wheel spacers are just a cheap alternative to extended A-arms and wider axles. If you have the money, extended arms and axles are a much better option. But the wheel spacers are only about 10% of the price of arms and axles.

How high can you jump? The long answer is it depends on the landing (if your landing on a down-ramp, you can jump higher with less stress on the wheel spacers), the way you land, your shocks, the total weight of you and your quad, blah blah blah.

The short answer is: I don't know. I've never tried to jump with them. I would imagine you can jump a few feet high at least, but it's probably best to ask somebody with more experience with them.

FasstMidnightZ
11-24-2004, 02:44 PM
anybody else on here that has them and jumps ????

drifterx
11-24-2004, 04:56 PM
I know they are suppose to be harder to turn, and increase bump-steer, but i can't notice it at all. I've been jumping, and had no problems. A guy i know has spacers on the front of his raptor, he gets a LOT of air all the time, like up to 10 ft. He's never had any problems and has had them on for almost 2 years.

torqen2k1
11-24-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by hondaexrider
anybody else on here that has them and jumps ????

Well i had wheel spacers for about a half year. I like them because my quad handles alot better. i cant afford front end suspension now put if I ever mess up my front end that will be the time I get a front end. I been basically trail ridin mostly but Ive been getting interested into jumpin. I also have a steering stabilizer and it helps out alot. Go for it buy them. What size are your wheel spacers your planin to get. I have 1 1/2" on each side and love them. Even though my friends give me $hit that about them.

maskale
11-24-2004, 08:36 PM
I have the durablue spacers, they do work good and are a cheap way to widen the front and get better handleing. But the arm pump is bad, at least for me when I ride mx, I do jump with them but nothing big 5 feet the most and they have held up. I also hit the end of a culbert in 3rd gear WOT one time and the quad came to a halt instantly ( I went over the handle bars) and messed up my front end but the wheel spacers held up. I would say get them if you want. but save up for some new A-arms you will be better off. I will be getting my a-arms soon. Your safty depends on you and your quad, equipment failure can hurt, so becarefull.

get them, but still save up for the a arms.

dirtmomma
11-25-2004, 08:39 AM
Did somene delete my post :grr: :confused:
Dang I made one right after Wilkins but OH WELL didn't think I said anything bad maybe my puter screwed up hmmmm interesting.

Like I said in my previous post I did hurt my rear hubs by jumping w/ spacers, pretty sure thats what it's from anyway, I ran them for the 1st year & did some mx'ing, well come to find out a few weeks ago my hubs were loose on one side, pretty sure it's due to the stress of the spacers :( YOU WILL NOT LIKE TURNING YOUR RIMS AROUND!!!! DON'T do it, when I first got my quad thats what the previous owner did, I kept it that way for a little bit until I got my a arms, now I need to do my front end bad, change bearings ect. YOu can run spacers on the front but don't flip your wheels, all that does is MORE bump steer & exposes your calipers ect :)
Good Luck hoep this post doesn't go to the way side :)