PDA

View Full Version : Stage 2 hotcam in stock engine

Samson
11-23-2004, 03:55 PM
Has anybody tried a stage 2 hotcam in an otherwise stock engine? Would a stage 1 hotcam with an advanced timing key be a good compromise? I want more top end (faster acceleration). Don't care if I have to keep it wound up. Can't afford the whole kit-n-kaboodle right now.

cals400ex
11-24-2004, 01:35 AM
do you want more top speed or more acceleration? what exhaust do you have? the timing key won't do much for power. the throttle response will just be more crisp.

Samson
11-24-2004, 07:13 AM
E-series. I want more power in the upper rpms. Don't lug it much in sand.

What I've read about the timing key is that advancing the timing helps higher rpms and retarding the timing helps lower rpms. Wasn't sure how much difference you feel.

cals400ex
11-24-2004, 10:33 AM
yes, basically the key won't do much for the power output but the throttle does feel more crisp if you know your bike well. i wouldn't consider the stage 2 unless you have the e series with the promeg headers or unless you plan on getting a full system. my buddies bike ran great with the stage 1 with his slip on and full system. his bike was a terd with the stage 2 and the slip on. with the full HMF, it runs fine now though. the stage 1 just produced better power everywhere, mainly in the upper gears because the stage 2 was over camming the bike with the smaller piston and less flowing WB slip on.

Samson
11-24-2004, 10:46 AM
Thanks Cal!

Juggalo
11-24-2004, 06:31 PM
with my old motor i was running a stage 2 hotcam with nothin but pipe and filter. i really liked it. you could definately tell a difference.