PDA

View Full Version : powdercoating rear caliper

xsr_racing28c
11-23-2004, 03:38 PM
i heard that powdercoat will hold up well on brake calipers so i am gonna send mine to get coated... i was wondering what color i should go with... i have a chrome axle and chrome p-brake block off, so i think some darker color should be on the caliper but i want something that looks tight... post replys

brandonpeake
11-23-2004, 06:08 PM
something like black which is a given but titanium or gun metal would look good, is your quad red?

Pappy
11-23-2004, 06:16 PM
i should have some calipers done soon that will not use PC. they will employ a thermal dispersment coating designed to protect the metal and release heat from the caliper

brandonpeake
11-23-2004, 06:28 PM
sounds really interesting, can it be done in different colrs as well, is this the same stuff the coat parts on the outside of the engine with?

Pappy
11-23-2004, 06:34 PM
yes there will be a few different colors...but mainly a silver and a black. these are workhorses not show horse products so dont expect them to be as sweet as pc...lol

K_Fulk
11-23-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
i should have some calipers done soon that will not use PC. they will employ a thermal dispersment coating designed to protect the metal and release heat from the caliper

Like this stuff? http://www.nicindustries.com/Page.asp?NavID=162

My local guy has done my other motor with this stuff and my oil tank. Never thought about the calipers though.

Not as durable as powder but still looks way better than bare aluminum with imbedded dirt.

Pappy
11-23-2004, 07:01 PM
i didnt read thru all the specs but it deffinatley has some of the same properties.

the stuff i use still does its job wether its scratched or rubbed off. i didnt understand that at first but i do now:p the actual chemical is at the metal surface and deeper. the outer layer that you see is meaningless except for the value of looks.

thanks for the link...more stuff to look at:p

brandonpeake
11-23-2004, 07:06 PM
colby at C&D is building my motor and thermal coating part of it to help reduce the temp, i figured what u are talking about is something similiar, i had saw it done in dirtwheels on the big gun R it had a feature on a month or so back, ive only seen it in black so far

K_Fulk
11-23-2004, 07:07 PM
They have quite a bit of stuff, powder, moly coating like you are getting into etc.

The only piece I have used with the heat dissapating stuff is my oil tank. Ran a 1hr hourscramble last week. After the race I could touch the oil tank with my bare hands and not burn myself. Seems to work.

Pappy
11-23-2004, 07:13 PM
oh yeah i also think it works. its proven and i feel confident using it.

ive done several engine internals so far but feedback can be long time coming. ive spoken to engine builders who says its great as long as its done right, as in after break in re tear down the engine and then coat the piston. im no engine builder so ill trust them:p

i figure the oil cooler and radiators would be a good choice but they seem hard to do (lots of area to cover and this stuff aint cheap)

the molycoating side of it is going great and i hope it keeps expanding.

K_Fulk
11-23-2004, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Pappy

i figure the oil cooler and radiators would be a good choice but they seem hard to do (lots of area to cover and this stuff aint cheap)

Gotta be carefull on the radiators some of the mdont take to well to being put in a oven. Buddy of mine fond that out on his bike. :eek2:

On my motor i had the outside of the cases, head and cylinder done to aid in the air cooling.

Pappy
11-23-2004, 08:10 PM
yep its advised to use the "air cured" product on them:p

most of these cure at 325 degrees so there isnt any danger. i geuss if one was in a bad way and had damage it could hurt, but i dont see very many of them coming in to be done. its mainly the small stuff that corrodes:grr: i am on a mission against rust!

xsr_racing28c
11-23-2004, 08:18 PM
hey pappy will i be safe with just the pc on the outside of the caliper?? also what would you charge for the caliper to be pc'd and also to have that molycoating done on the inside parts?? give me some cool color choices if you can and show me some pics please... thanks alot man, Jason

Pappy
11-23-2004, 08:40 PM
pc is fine on atv calipers. i would stick to a solid color tho to keep things simple. calipers are $35 and that includes me tearing them done and reassembling once done.

to moly the sliders would be $5

colors run the range of your imagination. depending on what colors you have chosen for the quad will be the deciding factor on the other component colors.

i made all my components the same color on my R. turned out nice

xsr_racing28c
11-23-2004, 08:43 PM
pappy what shades of black do you have?? i mean like metal flake, trans , etc.. ? thanks , Jason

Pappy
11-23-2004, 08:47 PM
i mainly shot gloss black. i have prismatic (all color prizm) and silver flake, gold flake, blue flake (makes black look like a purple tint) i have them all or can get them, depends on what folks want:p