PDA

View Full Version : 400ex Starting Problems? Help...

apalusso
11-23-2004, 02:03 PM
Last month I added a WB slip-on exhaust to my stock 400ex. I went ahead and jetted the bike properly but for some reason my bike has difficulty starting? It takes awhile (meaning 5 to 10 minutes) to get my bike to turn over. I have a new battery so that is not the problem. Any thoughts on ways I can get my bike to start quicker...Thanks so much.

Aaron

mojoe2878
11-23-2004, 02:20 PM
does it turn over fine or what?
try backing your air/fuel screw out some or installing a bigger pilot jet.

cals400ex
11-23-2004, 02:24 PM
does it not turn over or does it not fire?

apalusso
11-23-2004, 02:34 PM
After about 10 or so times, the bike will finally turn over and start. Does it have to do with the rings which came with the WB exhaust?

I checked the color of the spark plug and there is no black residue or plug burning up...so it does not sound like it is the jet. Just my thought...I am still new to this. I am willing to give anything a try. Do you think it is the timing? I have not tore into the motor or anything like that...just rejetted after I placed the slipon. Everything else has not been touched.

Thanks again....

mojoe2878
11-23-2004, 02:38 PM
you arent making much sense.
is the motor turning over but not starting or is it not even turning over?
you said it turns over and cranks after about 10 tries and i have no idea if you mean it finally cranks on the 10th try or if it isnt turning over or anything until you hit the start button for the 10th time.
need to know what exactly you are talking about b4 we can help.

apalusso
11-23-2004, 03:12 PM
I appologize...the bike does turn over and run....but it takes about 10 minutes trying start the bike to get it to turn over. After riding the bike and then trying to restart it will take just about the same amount of time to get it to restart.

Is that normal for a bike to take that long to start? It just seems that it should not take that long to get the bike to start.

I hope I made more sense this time. Thanks again.

Aaron

mojoe2878
11-23-2004, 04:25 PM
no its not normal.
you need to either try and adjust the air/fuel screw or go up a little on the pilot jet to help with starting it.
also try and take the rings back out of the muffeler and see if it starts any easier, if it does then the rings may be installed wrong.

ewalker302
11-23-2004, 07:27 PM
So, what size main jet did you put in there??

lil_billy_300ex
11-23-2004, 09:52 PM
yeah i had a 300ex with the same problem kinda. i did a bunch of moding and crap at the same time. i had a 400ex carb on it. the stock pilot jet is 38 and i put in a 40. and it worked really good. and if ya want you can even mess with the fuel mixture screw too like that one guy said. that always helps. good luck

apalusso
11-24-2004, 07:20 AM
Thanks...I will go ahead and try all of those things mentioned. I really appreciate your assistance.

Aaron

zephead400ex
11-24-2004, 08:38 AM
I would try upping the main jet, go to a 42, stock is 38. This will allow starting to be a little easier.

What steps do you take to start the bike? Choke on? Give it gas?...??????

6arett
11-24-2004, 10:15 AM
Once the bike is runing, does it run poorly? (Poor proformance, Bogging) stuff like that.

cals400ex
11-24-2004, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by zephead400ex
I would try upping the main jet, go to a 42, stock is 38. This will allow starting to be a little easier.

What steps do you take to start the bike? Choke on? Give it gas?...??????

i think you were trying to say pilot jet, but mainjet came out :)

zephead400ex
11-24-2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by cals400ex
i think you were trying to say pilot jet, but mainjet came out :)

haha, thanks for watching my back Cal!:)

Yep, pilot jet, that's what I meant!

apalusso
11-24-2004, 12:54 PM
When I start the bike...I do the following....Choke on, give it gas...after a couple times with the choke and the bike not starting I then turn choke off then give try to start it.

Once the bike is running, it does bog a little bit. I tried it last night and the bike ran ok but once I sat idling the bike stopped running. Does that sound like a jetting problem?

After all the comments I will go ahead and try to up the pilot jet and see if that works.

Thanks...I am still learning how to work on things on my bike and appreciate your help.

Aaron