PDA

View Full Version : Oregon "No Drag Racing"

LazeR
11-23-2004, 12:59 PM
Well i took a trip to the dunes with my family, we just drove down there for the day and didnt bring the quads or anything, but i did noticed something that pissed me off! I saw this little sign that said "No Drag Racing" i went up to read it and basically it said "no endurance, speed or ability contests" so basically if your riding next to your friend hauling *** they can get you for "Drag Racing" or if your zipping through trails, i would assume they could get for drag racing under the "endurance or ability contest" I think i am going to send an e-mail to Lars Larson about this and see if he will read it on his show! Also once i find out more, i want to get a legal petition and try to get rid of that stupid regulation, or at least amend it, to so many feet within a staging area which i could understand! Please leave your thoughts or whatever here, even if your not from Oregon. Also if i could get a petition who would be interested in signing it ?

big-guy
11-23-2004, 04:15 PM
I've never seen anyone get cited for drag racing, just loud pipes. They seem to be pretty relaxed about it as long as you're using some common sense... Your milage may vary.

j

kamikaze_rzrbak
11-23-2004, 05:04 PM
i wouldnt worry about getting busted, but if you made a petition i would sign it

tator
11-23-2004, 06:36 PM
I had seen that to at dune fest it allso said that that was only on Forest service land. Like at Winchester bay at lot of land is Douglas county land and the other part is forest service land.
That is all i Know about it. If it is true that would be gay.

LazeR
11-23-2004, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by big-guy
I've never seen anyone get cited for drag racing, just loud pipes. They seem to be pretty relaxed about it as long as you're using some common sense... Your milage may vary.

j

May not be citing very many ppl if there isn't that many ppl doing it.....get a few cops together at boxcar or something on a nice night with 100 ppl out racing....that makes them some big bucks in tickets! I just think its a stupid law/regulation and shouldnt even be there no matter how hard they enforce it! The dunes are meant to go fast and race..... that would be like putting a speed limit on the salt flats in utah :rolleyes: or maybe im just taking this a lil to serious

kamikaze_rzrbak
11-23-2004, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by LazeR
May not be citing very many ppl if there isn't that many ppl doing it.....get a few cops together at boxcar or something on a nice night with 100 ppl out racing....that makes them some big bucks in tickets! I just think its a stupid law/regulation and shouldnt even be there no matter how hard they enforce it! The dunes are meant to go fast and race..... that would be like putting a speed limit on the salt flats in utah :rolleyes: or maybe im just taking this a lil to serious
you make a good point, the cops would make some cash if they took this like they do loud pipes, Has anybody ever been cited for dragging???

#1speedbump
11-24-2004, 03:02 PM
Here is a link to a pic of the No Racing Ban being enforced at Sandlake. If sited it will go on your DL, it's considered a moving violation. Same with a noise ticket for your exhaust. They are enforcing them due to the increase in accident, injuries, and deaths.
http://www.villagephotos.com/viewpubimage.asp?id_=10758724

LazeR
11-24-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by #1speedbump
Here is a link to a pic of the No Racing Ban being enforced at Sandlake. If sited it will go on your DL, it's considered a moving violation. Same with a noise ticket for your exhaust. They are enforcing them due to the increase in accident, injuries, and deaths.
http://www.villagephotos.com/viewpubimage.asp?id_=10758724

Ok, well i just talked to my step mom (she sells insurance) and she doesnt think the exhaust db ticket can be considered a moving violation it would be administration violation! BUT the Drag racing one could go down as a moving violation and get this, RAISE your insurance! I think i am going to do my best to try and get a petition to get rid of this, or amend it some how, if any has any ideas or comments, or anything to help me do this, please let me know! I also think that i am going to send an e-mail to Lars Larson and see if he will read it on the air to get more ppl informed on this, once i am positive of all the details!

airheadedduner
11-24-2004, 10:13 PM
I have had more then one sound ticket and it has not shown up on my DR. They are only enforecing the no dragging rule at areas were a lot of people gather and just hang out. I don't think they would mess with you if you were dragging up comp or banshee hill.

I think it is crap though. They claim that dragging is why there are more deaths/injuries/accidents? How about because they are taking more riding area away but recreational atcing is growing by 10-20% a year.

400EX QUADER
11-24-2004, 10:32 PM
I'll sign it!!!! Darn cops

#1speedbump
11-24-2004, 10:41 PM
The fact that the Db tickets arent on you DR is amazing. It is considered a moving violation. Just like if your vehicle exhaust exceeds the legal limit. There have been some posts on here about this before. IDK maybe the people were lying I have never recieved a ticket on my quad. BUT I ride with a Law enforcement officer and he says that the same laws apply when on an atv.

riding while intoxicated=DUI
running from sand patrol= felony eluding
speeding on the beach= speeding ticket

so make of it what you will. We are all responsible for our own actions or lack thereof

LazeR
11-25-2004, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by airheadedduner
I have had more then one sound ticket and it has not shown up on my DR. They are only enforecing the no dragging rule at areas were a lot of people gather and just hang out. I don't think they would mess with you if you were dragging up comp or banshee hill.

What about Boxcar ? I heard they were citing ppl one day there, banshee hill you cant drag side by side, i mean cmon who goes to the dunes to not drag race at least once ? Ive only seen one wreck at boxcar, and a banshee ran into the side of a pickup because he (the banshee) was not paying attention, and he never even made it to 2nd gear, and that was on Fourth of July Weekend! I think the laws are getting out of hand, and just are taking more and more fun away from us.

a lil off topic, if you dont mind me askin airheadedduner, how much $$ have your sound tickets been ? and how loud were you ?

oneten
11-25-2004, 11:58 AM
lol i was looking at your link #1speedbump and my knee is there, marky has some more pics now if you want some more, just go to thew link on here and ggo to the 4th page, and in 2002 i heard that a couple people got cited for drag racing, you know how people always start their own right after the track closes and the cops came and we all took off but some guy said his buddy got a ticket becouse "it wasnt a contolled evironment for racing"

big-guy
11-25-2004, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by #1speedbump
Here is a link to a pic of the No Racing Ban being enforced at Sandlake. id_=10758724[/URL]

Sandlake is kinda the ghetto dunes anyway. Like Northeast portland on quads. People are much more civil further down the coast. The first night I was in Florence I was amazed that it's actually quiet at night...

JOEX
11-26-2004, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by big-guy
Sandlake is kinda the ghetto dunes anyway. Like Northeast portland on quads. People are much more civil further down the coast. The first night I was in Florence I was amazed that it's actually quiet at night...
LOL!:p

And I thoght the litter box analogy was bad:blah:

Sandlake isn't a bad place, just too small and too close to the Portland Metro area. During the week it's not crowded but the weekends are crazy.

big-guy
11-26-2004, 10:44 PM
No offense to Sandlake or those who ride there (I've spent many hours there myself), I've just noticed a considerable difference in "clientel" so to speak.

As far as the drag racing ban goes, I don't think it's a good or bad thing, it would just be very hard to argue a case for. Some people are very conscientious and safe and courtious and would be very responsible in an informal "racing" situation, but there are also many who would not be. I remember one guy wheelying back and forth across the face of Comp hill in Florence, while a mother on a raptor raced up the hill with her 2 yr old child sitting on the gas tank... :eek2:

LazeR
11-27-2004, 02:31 AM
The thing that ticks me off, is now legally you cant race at all! Its fun to sit at boxcar and watch ppl race then when someone that i wont get smoked by comes up, its fun to race them! Everyone knows thats a place to race at boxcar and if they start ticketing ppl for racing there thats really gonna suck! I need to get a pic of the sign so everyone can read it, its just plain stupid! If there gonna stick to this, they better be making us a place where we can race!

Dextreme
11-29-2004, 03:47 PM
FYI - A drag racing ticket is $421. yeowch!

LazeR
11-29-2004, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Dextreme

Do you know from experience ? Where was your ticket given to you at ? Were you just drag racing ? What dunes were you at ?

kamikaze_rzrbak
11-29-2004, 10:28 PM
how do they charge that much, do they get you for reckless endangerment:confused:

Dextreme
11-29-2004, 11:17 PM
That is the fine that was given out to several drag racers last Labor Day at Sand Lake. But I understand that is the rate for other dune areas too.

If you have an account on PlanetSand...here is some more info:
http://www.planetsand.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=226749

Basically it states:

$421 Drag racing tickets handed out at Sand Lake

$235 Noise ticket at Coos Bay this past weekend.

Heres some info for Oregon on the base traffic fines....Please note that Class A driving violation---driving in excess of 30 MPH of the posted limit with no accident is $421

A Class B violation---driving in excess of 21 to 30 MPH of the posted limit with no accident is $237

LazeR
11-30-2004, 12:50 AM
Everytime i read more about that it makes me mad! I don't understand why they feel the need to try and ruin are fun! Oregon is beginning to piss me off! First its offroad areas for pickups and what not that there closing, now there trying to limit what we can do when riding on the dunes! :mad: :grr: I want to talk to a cop that patrols the dunes or a forestry officer or something about this BS

Dextreme
11-30-2004, 09:14 AM
Everytime i read more about that it makes me mad! I don't understand why they feel the need to try and ruin are fun! Oregon is beginning to piss me off! First its offroad areas for pickups and what not that there closing, now there trying to limit what we can do when riding on the dunes! :mad: :grr: I want to talk to a cop that patrols the dunes or a forestry officer or something about this BS

Believe me, lots of people who have build "drag only" bikes have had the discussions with the FS and Sheriff. It seems that certain areas they will turn there heads and not enforce (like at the 1st bowl at Sand Lake). But if you are drag racing out on the flats, it posses a safety hazzard for other cutting accross the flats perpendicularly. Lot of bad accidents have happened....and that is where the $421 tickets are being handed out.

LazeR
11-30-2004, 04:17 PM
But if you are drag racing out on the flats, it posses a safety hazzard for other cutting accross the flats perpendicularly. Lot of bad accidents have happened....

I don't really understand how people cannot see the drags! It's pretty easy to spot that, also if there worried about that why don't they just put lanes on the dunes :rolleyes: seriously, there isn't a speed limit on the dunes, (except on some beaches) No road rules, (except now drag racing). I've only seen one wreck in a drag race! It was at Boxcar, and it was the night of july 3rd....some guy went over the bank thing they built to keep ppl off the train tracks and had to have a truck come get him out! The truck then went across the drag strip and this guy on a banshee not paying one bit of attention to whats in front of him, takes off and nails the truck.... he never made it to 2nd gear! Then there was almost a fight and like 5 cops came down, and about 50 ppl all ran over there. That is the only thing i have seen though, in the 2 years i have been riding at the dunes!

Dextreme
11-30-2004, 04:51 PM
I don't really understand how people cannot see the drags! It's pretty easy to spot that

Mostly its people cutting through the treeline out into the open. Because of the trees and little grass/tree islands, ya can't always see everything. Also a lot of younger kids will be tool'n around just out from the treeline not really paying attention. So the reality is that many people don't recognize the race.

also if there worried about that why don't they just put lanes on the dunes seriously

Because then it would be considered "Organized". The state could then be held liable if there was a crash within dragging zone. But I did mention that very idea to the Forest Service this summer that it would most likely reduce then number of people getting T-boned (and killed) due to outlaw headsup racing.

LazeR
11-30-2004, 05:10 PM
I was being a smart *** about the lanes thing, i ment like lanes on a freeway, the right side goes north the left side goes south type of thing. Being a total smart *** though! I know they can't/won't make a dedicated dragging spot because they would need ppl out there to watch and whatever else! The way i look at it, dragging should be legal! I've seen drags right by where a lot of ppl were camped, they were on the sidelines watching and some were with the kids on the OTHER side, the kids never came close, and it was done really well! I know i won't drag if someone can all of a sudden shoot in front of me! If your talking about the hauser flats or whatever where ppl can come out of the trees.....most of the time there far enough away, they have PLENTY of time even if they were WFO to see ppl dragging!

Do you know whatever happened to the jumping thing ? I heard it was illegal to jump too :rolleyes:

(another thing about the dragging)
I can understand it in some ways, but if its a safe setup, like 99% of time that i see ppl dragging, then they shouldnt even bother them/us, were just out there to have a good time, and im pretty sure no one goes out there to get hurt nor have there kids get hurt

Dextreme
11-30-2004, 11:05 PM
I think the thing is that if you and a few buddies head out away from everyone else (Like out past Derrek Rd at Sand Lake), I really don't think you are going to get hassled about drag racing. It just seems that the more congested the area, the more likely tickets will get written.

LazeR
12-01-2004, 01:04 AM
I think the thing is that if you and a few buddies head out away from everyone else (Like out past Derrek Rd at Sand Lake), I really don't think you are going to get hassled about drag racing. It just seems that the more congested the area, the more likely tickets will get written.

I have never ridden at sand lake. It's not as much fun just dragging your buddies though, its better to drag other ppl with quads like yours, then you can talk to them too!

airheadedduner
12-06-2004, 10:05 AM
What about Boxcar ? I heard they were citing ppl one day there, banshee hill you cant drag side by side, i mean cmon who goes to the dunes to not drag race at least once ? Ive only seen one wreck at boxcar, and a banshee ran into the side of a pickup because he (the banshee) was not paying attention, and he never even made it to 2nd gear, and that was on Fourth of July Weekend! I think the laws are getting out of hand, and just are taking more and more fun away from us.

a lil off topic, if you dont mind me askin airheadedduner, how much $$ have your sound tickets been ? and how loud were you ?

A lot of people hang out and watch the drag racing at box car. The way box car is it is hard to see people coming up the hill if you are on the flat on top, thats why they arn't letting people do it anymore.

My first was dropped, second was lowered to around $100 cause I repacked my silencer and got retested and passed at 94db(they give you a 2db credit for margin of error). Third was the full $175 for around 108db. That was a while ago on my R.

LazeR
12-06-2004, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by airheadedduner
A lot of people hang out and watch the drag racing at box car. The way box car is it is hard to see people coming up the hill if you are on the flat on top, thats why they arn't letting people do it anymore.

My first was dropped, second was lowered to around $100 cause I repacked my silencer and got retested and passed at 94db(they give you a 2db credit for margin of error). Third was the full $175 for around 108db. That was a while ago on my R.

I just seems like they do anything to take fun away from us, especially the younger of us 16 and on, but yet complain because there is a lot of kids getting in trouble!

How did you get your first sound ticket dropped ? How was the other one lowered ? was that with a 2 stroke or 4 stroke ? If you hit 96db they don't give you a ticket ? Sorry for the questions just kind of curious.

mattonln
12-19-2004, 09:24 AM
On 4th of July weekend, me and my uncle raced until our arms fell off at boxcar and the dune cops were almost organizing the event! man, that was fckin awesome! besides the dumb *** who ran into the truck.... what they don't understand is that the acciedents on the dunes are caused because of stupid beginners thinking they can just fly off any dune without a spotter. I've never heard of getting busted for jumping, that has to be a rumor... everyone i know jumps... EVERYONE! my uncle got out of a ticket on his 450r with LRD pipe. he hit 107db, but the dune cops usually let the locals off. thats another thing, the locals almost never get hurt! its always the weekend warriors (no offense to you non-locals, i love racing you!). People think that they get to know the dunes after 1 day of riding, but what they don't realize is that it changes every day, literraly.

SuperChris
12-22-2004, 02:52 PM
Hey man, I live right close to Yoncalla. If you get the petition, let me know. I'll make a drive out there. Get a petition started to nix the nudity and alcohol ban also. While you're there you might think about starting one to get rid of the rediculous sand camping rules(all the permits, no bonfires..). As for jumping, you just need to have a spotter if more than 2 wheels are leaving the ground. If the asshat's would have just enforced the rules in the first place this stuff wouldn't be happening. The dunes are considered an Oregon highway, and I would love to see everyone who drinks and rides get a DUI, but man I also want to go ride all day, kick back by the bonfire after dark with some naked chicks and drink a beer.

SuperChris
12-22-2004, 03:01 PM
While I'm here and all worked up, I may as well invite all you good folks to feed the K9 dog that the stupid black haired trick drives around with, You know which one. Her and her ignorant friend(the old dude with glasses and a fat belly) drive around in those durango's. The dog will love you forever and the lady get's real worked up. It's good stuff. Don't do this while drinking and Don't confuse these two P.O.S.'s with some of the other fine and humble law enforcement officers out there.

twisted threads
12-22-2004, 09:49 PM
I herd about her! All these laws are really starting to push me away from sand riding all together.:( I think if your drinking and driveing on a quad you should be hammered to the wall and get a DUI but leave us ALONE with the stupid sound laws and the no drag racing law!!!! ( I feel alot better now!):cool:

LazeR
12-23-2004, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by SuperChris
Hey man, I live right close to Yoncalla. If you get the petition, let me know. I'll make a drive out there. Get a petition started to nix the nudity and alcohol ban also. While you're there you might think about starting one to get rid of the rediculous sand camping rules(all the permits, no bonfires..). As for jumping, you just need to have a spotter if more than 2 wheels are leaving the ground. If the asshat's would have just enforced the rules in the first place this stuff wouldn't be happening. The dunes are considered an Oregon highway, and I would love to see everyone who drinks and rides get a DUI, but man I also want to go ride all day, kick back by the bonfire after dark with some naked chicks and drink a beer.

Where do you live ? The sound one kind of pisses me off...but whatever, the nudity well, there is lil kids out there, although i wouldn't mind seeing the girls but whatever i understand that law as well....The alcohol one i think is good....Cause i definatelly dont wanna have some drunk moron hit me. But the drag racing one is flat out stupid! What does it hurt to drag race ? i have never ever seen anyone get hurt drag racing.

SuperChris
12-27-2004, 10:25 AM
Roseburg. I like that they are finally giving DUI's for people out there, but if they had have done that in the first place, i'd still be able to have a beer by the bonfire. People should put their kids in bed or not bring them down to a party like at boxcar if they dont want them to see naked titties. I gots me a new set of 28mm flatslides for the 'shee this Christmas, I think i'm heading over to Winchester bay next week to do a little drag racing (if I can find a race).

sandspanker
01-11-2005, 11:46 PM
I was talking to a cop at the dunes @ windchester, at the day use. The main concern their was at the flat by the day use, because of all of the little kids learning how to ride. He said to me that if he did not see me racing (a few dunes in off the flat away from the heavely populated area "away from the little kids" that it would be better). So basicly just watch out for the little kids.VERY UNDERSTANDABLE.I DONT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THAT . And one more thing he was giving out tickets. Just respect the laws even if you dont agree.

trailgoon
04-05-2005, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by SuperChris
The dunes are considered an Oregon highway, and I would love to see everyone who drinks and rides get a DUI,

What I don't get is if the dunes are considered a state highway why do you have to have an off-road tag on your street licensed vehicle. It doesn't make any sense to me.

SuperChris
04-10-2005, 08:30 AM
Dunno man, Dunno. There is no actuall law that says we HAVE to pay taxes either. It is your constitutional right to drive on the street without liscense also. The man trying to keep us down is what I call it. It's a police state here in America these days, we're no longer as free as we think.

bknight
04-10-2005, 09:50 PM
Yeah we wanted to hit up winchester bay in june but found out we had to get an offroad tag for our truck and trailer, then a reservation fee for the sand camping, then the camp fee. (no offence to cali) but califonians are ruining oregon serously.
At winchester bya that rich san fran guy built all them houses by the light house and got that portion closed"sound" its is only loud on the weekend... wow..
I dunno oregon is getting really lame.

SuperChris
04-10-2005, 10:51 PM
Look into what commissioner Van Slyke(spelling?) is doing for Douglas County(Winchester Bay). I have had the pleasure to meet him and I gotta say that is one dude we need on our side. The people who lack respect for themselves and other riders are why we have all these regulations, not Californians. To many people were getting hurt because of foolish people drinking and riding. The States knee jerk reaction is that they think they have to cut back on the amount of people out there and charge us so they can hire enough sand fuzz to keep us in check. The permit can be had fairly easily and the sticker is cheap. It is worth the hassle for the fun I get out of it, but when it comes down to it, a good lawyer could argue that they have no right to require all this ****. The Californians are ruining our real estate and they can't drive worth a crap, but some of them have some really nice bikes.

bknight
04-15-2005, 11:30 AM
I didn't mean bikers in general, its the rich ones that buy property along riding areas. Then expect to get them closed down.