PDA

View Full Version : Question for you guys...

drifterx
11-22-2004, 07:44 PM
I'm tearing down my 300ex engine over thanksgiving break ( in 2 days or so) to put in a new output shaft. The engine is running perfect, just stripped an output shaft. I have somewhere around 250 bucks saved up, and have another paycheck coming. Do you think i should have anything internal done to it? I was thinking possibly a Wiseco .40 over piston, how much would it cost to get it bored and honed. A small local machine shop does good work around here for a descent price i hear. A kid from my school who rides a KX125 dirtbike told me i'd have to get it teflon coated to? How much would all of that cost? I also considered getting a port and polish. And thought about getting the best of both worlds and getting a higher compression piston (not any bigger, and not sure of what compression), and a port and polish. What do you sugguest, what kind of gains would i be looking at, and how much do you think this would all cost me? I'm getting a powroll header, K&N, and jet kit soon, and having my stock muffler made into a shorty, if that helps. Thanx a bunch! :D

hardkoratvmxr
11-22-2004, 07:59 PM
to keep the budget low i would get a stock size
1)11:1 compression piston (if you bore it will cost more but i would get at least a .20 over bore)
2)an agressive cam
3)a high rev cdi box

if you get these parts you will fly if you decide to just get some of them get them in that order

port and polish is a good idea but may cost a little more money than you would expect and a port and polish mod can be done alter in your build and is not neccesary right now in your project.

i would not cut your stock silenceer down into a shorty... instead get a HMF slip on and then down the road you can buy a white brothers header for your 300 for 109.99.

that is just my 2 cents and my suggestions.. those are pretty much the same exact things i did to my 300ex and it rips

drifterx
11-22-2004, 08:19 PM
Well, the powroll header is meant for the stock muffler, i'd get an HMF, but i dunno if it would work good with the powroll header (the powroll is only 60 beans right now). How much work would it be to put in a cam, and where would be the best place to get all this stuff. Is the 11:1 safe on pump gas? Anyone have a general figure on how much this stuff would cost (along with the boring out, and port and polish)? I might wait with the boring out till i can save up for a 313 or 330, or heck possibly a 350 kit. Thanx!

wheeltrax
11-22-2004, 08:34 PM
Def do the 11:1 piston if your on a budget, it will make a difference. Piston and cam will help out a whole lot. 11:1 is safe on 93 on pump gas.

drifterx
11-22-2004, 08:56 PM
Ok, I think i'm gonna go with a cam, an 11:1 piston, and a cdi rev box. What cam, piston, and rev box should i get, and where should i get it? I better get a drop in cam i think, i don't want to put in new heavy duty stuff and all. hardkoratvmxer, what all do you have exactly? How does it keep up with other quads?

hondarider2006
11-23-2004, 01:58 AM
Give C&D racing a call, they will hook you up with everything you need. I would suggest looking into the Hot cam stage 2. The higher compression will make up the bottom end and the hotcam will let your motor rev to the moon. I have this set up in my 426, and it screams. I don't know how well a 300ex responds to these mods, but every little bit helps;)

drifterx
11-23-2004, 06:32 AM
Is this stuff very hard to do? I'm rebuilding my engine myself, and my dad said he'll help me as i need it. I heared somewhere that with a new cam, you have to put in heavy duty lifters and rockers and all that. Is this true?

buster369
11-23-2004, 08:08 AM
i have a webcam cam but u also need to get the springs and rocker arms tho. They work really well however they are expensive. Make sure u run an oil recomened for the cam cause i have to run SAE 30 racing oil for mine by valvoline. The piston is good about 90 ish for the piston and my bore was like 50. To get the most out of everything the head should be ported and polished but that would take up your whole budget. I would get a rev kit too. I don't have one now but once i get the money it is goin on becuase it revs up really fast and redlines in no time

drifterx
11-23-2004, 03:06 PM
What about a white brothers drop in cam, does it requre rocker arms and springs?

drifterx
11-23-2004, 04:34 PM
O and hotcams doesn't make a cam for the 300ex, just got a price quote from C&D. Do you think i'll be able to take my buddies warrior after i put in this new piston, cam, and rev box? He has an 89 warrior, with a full big gun exhaust, K&N, Jetted, and huge, huge kenda bear klaw tires. He's not a very good rider though.

buster369
11-23-2004, 04:42 PM
a 300ex will kill a warrior even stock

drifterx
11-23-2004, 04:51 PM
Sweet! I'll have to race him for sure! Anyways, i just found a web cam (drop in) cam, this can use the stock rockers and springs right? And if not, does the cam come with the rockers and all that, or is it a seperate buy? And what is a core charge? C&D said it would cost me 70 bucks, whatever it is.

buster369
11-23-2004, 04:59 PM
I have been told that there is one cam that doesn't need the other things but the paper that webcam gave me and the place that i bought them from highly suggested them, i dunno tho. U buy the springs , cam and rockers separately, and u get a core charge for the cam, and rockers. The whole thing was like 490 shipped then i got like 150 or 160 back i think maybe a lil more. As far as the cam goes, the more lift there is the more u get out of it, but again, the stock parts would wear a lot faster.

drifterx
11-23-2004, 05:16 PM
Jeeze! Maybe i won't get a cam. I don't have that kind of money.

buster369
11-23-2004, 05:21 PM
originally i was goin to get the white bros tho and that is like 115 i believe and doesn't need the other stuff
that is prob in your range but i had a prob getting it tho.

buster369
11-23-2004, 05:23 PM
actually there is a webcam cam for sale on this website that i just saw.

drifterx
11-23-2004, 06:05 PM
I found a web cam drop in cam, on www.magicracing.com for a 300ex. Would just a heavy duty spring kit do the trick? I think i found one for about 80 bucks, but i'm not sure if its the right thing. I searched a little, and found some people said you need nothing, some said its just assurance for the hardened rockers, and some said only heavy duty springs to keep the valves from floating. The web cam is 100, and has a core charge.