PDA

View Full Version : does size matter tire size that is

400ex_313
11-22-2004, 05:20 PM
i want to change my stock tires to hole shots what size is best to changes to and why also what brand of tires is best

Destructo
11-22-2004, 05:34 PM
If you don't want to lose any power keep the same height tire, you could go with a taller tire and gear down some to keep the same power.

Cole Trane
11-22-2004, 05:36 PM
18 for mx holeshots, turf tamers, razrs, kenda klaw

20 for normal recreation and trails same as I listed above for brands.

I don't like 22 inch tires, but they're good for real sloppy conditions.

wilkin250r
11-23-2004, 02:03 PM
If there was one "perfect" tire size, we would all have it. In fact, if there was only one perfect size, nobody would ever make any other size, because nobody would buy it.

Different tire sizes work for different applications. Generally 18 inch for MX and groomed-track conditions, 20 for general recreational riding and some types of racing, and sometimes 22 inch for XC or rocky areas.

Tire diameter will change your effective gearing, but you can change your sprockets to correct or alter this, so that's not a major factor for deciding tire size.

Smaller diameter (like 18 inch) tires are good for racing on a groomed track, or for certain trail conditions. They hook up well on flat ground, and as your turning or sliding they don't "fold" over very easily. However, they aren't very soft, and you'll feel every little rock and bump you go over. Since they don't have much sidewall, they don't have much flex. They also don't have much ground clearance, which is bad in rocky terrain.

Larger diameter (like 22 inch) are great for rocky, uneven terrain. With lots of sidewall and flex, they form OVER rocks and irregularities. Picture in your mind the difference between fitting on top of something (like a marble), and fitting over it. A larger tire will fit over and form to irregularities, and thus give you better traction in rocky terrain, as well as increased ground clearance. However, they aren't very good for aggressive cornering, since they tend to fold over easier.

20 inch tires would be the middle ground between the two.

So when deciding tire size, don't ask a general "what's best". Because what is best for one person isn't best for another. What's best on an MX track isn't the same as what's best on a rocky XC course. Look at what type of riding you do, and then go from there.