PDA

View Full Version : Powder coating on wheels?? Pic also needed :)

kazpr
11-22-2004, 07:04 AM
Just curious I have some stock honda wheels that are kinda ugly. How well would it hold up in the sand??

11-22-2004, 07:46 AM
if a good quality powdercoat I bet it would hold up fine i nthe sand...take it through the trails though & I dont kno if it will last long

kazpr
11-22-2004, 07:50 AM
Ok maybe I will hook up with Pappy to do some PC on them. Trans blue :)

Jersey450R
11-22-2004, 07:55 AM
not to knock your thread man, i thinks its a great idea and will look awesome but i dont know how well it would hold up. after they chip up (if i would do it) i wouldnt want them coated anymore. my opinion, they would look great, but not good in the long run,
now if you have other rims and tires you swap for different riding conditions, thatn go for it!

#1speedbump
11-22-2004, 01:01 PM
PC'd wheels will look awesome. I have pc'd several dirt bike wheels and they looked great after several poker runs. If you ride in the sand you have nothing to worry about, it takes about 1500 hours of constant sand blasting to wear through a properly done coat. Another option is Anodizing them. Also the powder wont chip easily. That is the great thing about it, it will flex.

R3Concepts
11-22-2004, 03:20 PM
I PCed my wheels black and they still look good after about 10 races. Trans Blue WILL NOT last. I have it on my arms and swinger and both are mega chipped up. Im out in front most of the time and they are still super chipped up. The silver base will last but the blue coat is super thin.

RideRedEX
11-22-2004, 07:10 PM
Im sure PC will hold up good for the fact that i painted my rims black from the groove in and only have a few chips. I've ran 4 xc races and alot of regular riding on them.

Pappy
11-23-2004, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by R3Concepts426ex
I PCed my wheels black and they still look good after about 10 races. Trans Blue WILL NOT last. I have it on my arms and swinger and both are mega chipped up. Im out in front most of the time and they are still super chipped up. The silver base will last but the blue coat is super thin.

sounds to me like you need someone else shooting your trans blue. its held up fine on everything ive done it on with the exception of lower a arms and truthfully nothing will hold up there..not even chrome.

as far as rims, pc will hold up but if you bust rocks it will get damaged. i would recommend an epoxy black, its not the glossiest color but its one of the strongest powders available.

kazpr
11-23-2004, 07:07 AM
Ok pappy I will send em to you when I am ready for them. Thanks alot Kazpr

CdaleXtreme
11-23-2004, 08:13 AM
Personally, Anything but black is wayy to much color on a bike. Its just too much surface area to make them any color other than black. Which Solid color powdercoats seem to hold up the best anyhow. Tell pappy to do a few extra coats for you !!!!

Pappy
11-23-2004, 08:16 AM
adding extra coats of powder usually = trouble. powder has to be applied at different thicknesses to assure a proper job. too thin or thick will cause problems.

R3Concepts
11-23-2004, 09:00 AM
Pappy,
I know LSR just slapped the trans blue on but for what I payed for that stuff I shouldnt complain. Maybe next time you'll do it for me.

Pappy
11-23-2004, 09:03 AM
well i wouldnt blame them or anyone...trans colors are tricky. you can do 50 parts that are perfect , then the next 10 are all crap.

alot of places refuse to even do trans colors because of high return rates. i do it, i just let people know up front that sometimes chit happens.

REDARMYRACER
11-23-2004, 09:55 PM
a polishing wheel would make that rim look like chrome. and cost about the price of this thread compared to powder coating.

hahahhahahahaha you lost:devil:

Pappy
11-24-2004, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by REDARMYRACER

hahahhahahahaha you lost:devil: