PDA

View Full Version : 200sx won't run

47501exracer
11-21-2004, 07:44 PM
My 88 200sx has been sitting for almost two years now, and when I tried to start it, it won't run. I took all the plastics off and gave it a good cleaning, including draining out the gas and putting new gas in it. Took the carb off and cleaned it and the air filter also. I put a new plug in and if I spray ether in the plug hole it will run for about 3-4 seconds and keeps dying. I believe that it isn't getting any fuel, should I take the carb apart and clean it better? The main jet was fine when I took it out.

Anybody that has a clymer's manual for it and would let me borrow it for a couple weeks I would appreciate it.

RIDER11X
11-21-2004, 07:59 PM
I had a 1986 up until about a year ago. Do you get a raw gas smell when you are trying to start it for a while? If not it is more than likely a lack of gas in the carb. If so......Are your floats not allowing feul into the carb? Is the supply line clear of obstructions?
If you do get a gas smell, check spark (in a safe way). These machines need to turn over pretty fast to make enough spark to reliably start, so try using the pull starter with a strong arm.

YZ400EX
11-22-2004, 12:11 AM
yea definately for now use the pull starter untill you can get it running..then the electric will work ok..Now you said your main jet is fine, but what about the pilot? it controls the low speed..Take the carb apart and soak it in carb cleaner and clean it meticulously..You wont be sorry..After the carb is completely clean it should start and run..this is what it sounds like to me..either no gas is getting in or no gas getting to the cylinder..it definately sounds like fuel problem to me..Hope this helps..