PDA

View Full Version : Standard Travel versus Long Travel!!!

MXRACER86
11-21-2004, 06:15 PM
I race motocross only. I want to know if anybody has had standard travel and then switched over to long travel. Was there a diffrence?? Is it worth the money or is it way over rated? I need everybodys honest opinion!

MXRACER86
11-21-2004, 07:15 PM
anybody??????:(

cdalejef
11-22-2004, 07:45 AM
It is a very nice improvement across the board. If you are a serious racer then they are worth every penny!

QuAdEr 317
11-22-2004, 01:13 PM
jeff....what if you arent like doing nething HUGE yet n are still progressing std are ok right?

cdalejef
11-22-2004, 01:34 PM
Ya, standard travel arms and aftermarket shocks still work fine. I for one am still runing standard travel and it works great.

fasterz
11-22-2004, 04:00 PM
i had std travel it was a joke. i went to long travel and i coulndt ever see buying any thing else. Even if you arent doing huge double and what not, you are still gonna come up short on things and its gonne hurt and with the LT you have alot more chance of not feeling any thing. The LT allows shock builders to get a more accurate valving for you and its a smoother travel. the stds would bottom like crazy and didnt really have stages of stiffness going down like my LT does. ive barly ever bottomed them, the only time is when i do some thing redulasly stoopid like go for a jump then get scared and hit the breaks so i slam into the landing:D If you want a reccomendation go with JRD, i know people who left houser to go with JRD, even if you anrt sure yet, call up joe at JRD and hell inform you with every thing you need to know about LT. their site is www.jrdmech.com

cdalejef
11-23-2004, 06:14 AM
Sounds like you had problems with your std travel shocks. All LT does is make the valving stacks a little more tuneable and hold more oil for less fading. A properly tuned std travel shock will have the same bottoming resistance than a properly tuned LT shock.

Michael18
11-23-2004, 07:07 AM
I have std travel with custom axis shocks and +1 a arms. and my buddy has LT with +1 a arms also with custom axis. in the woods there is not much of a difference. but on the track going through a nice whoop section you can tell a difference but that is about the only place.

wilkin250r
11-23-2004, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
Sounds like you had problems with your std travel shocks. All LT does is make the valving stacks a little more tuneable and hold more oil for less fading. A properly tuned std travel shock will have the same bottoming resistance than a properly tuned LT shock.

I'm not a suspension guru, but I would imagine that this isn't entirely correct. Yes, a std travel setup CAN have the same bottoming resistance as an LT setup, if bottoming resistance is your primary concern.

But what if softness is your primary concern? The major advantage of an long travel setup is tuning. An XC setup is generally softer than an MX setup, which often corresponds to less bottoming resistance. At this point, since the LT is more adjustable and can be made to fit a wider range of applications, both the std travel and long travel can be equally as soft, but the LT setup will have more bottoming resistance.

cdalejef
11-23-2004, 02:25 PM
Thats basically what I just said.