PDA

View Full Version : What Mod Next?

BornOnFire
04-18-2002, 03:03 PM
Ok, Folks, I am torn...........

I have Owned the 400EX for three weeks now. I have purchased the K&N filter, modified the airbox, and bought a 14 tooth sprocket. So far that is it........

Where do I go from here? Save up for a pipe and re-jet kit? I don't know that I should buy just the re-jet kit until I get a pipe.

I am also thinking about the $109 Rev Kit from White Brothers but I am wondering if I should just save that money for the Pipe and Re-Jet kit.

So far I have $140 bucks my significant other doesn't know about.<<heh, heh>>> It's burning a hole in my pocket! But I do have the dicipline to save.

Any suggestions? Besides donating to my future children's college fund or Roses for the Mrs.????

Thanks,

:devil

NDrider
04-18-2002, 03:10 PM
Save up for the pipe and jet kit.

Dont waste the $$$ on flowers or the rev kit.

04-18-2002, 03:26 PM
Don't buy the rev box,,,spend it on a pipe or sumtin else..

BornOnFire
04-18-2002, 03:27 PM
I take it the rev box sux?

What pipe and Jet kit is good? Cost effective?

Should I just get a slip on pipe or the header as well? If I get the slip on and the ReJet kit could I probably do it for under $300????

04-18-2002, 03:34 PM
You can get a slip-on and jet kit for under $300,,call Terry marcum.

VegasEx'r
04-18-2002, 03:50 PM
Take a look at the Yoshi, I hear it is good. I'm with everyone els on the rev box, don't waste your money.

BornOnFire
04-18-2002, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Rico
You can get a slip-on and jet kit for under $300,,call Terry marcum.

Who is Terry Marcum? A distributor, your buddy, or a company?

<<DUH, Stupid question?>>

Live2Ride300
04-18-2002, 04:03 PM
Ya those rev boxes are a waste of money, my friend had one on his 400, and all it did was make it hard to start, it didnt really give it anymore horsepower or anything like that, it just lets the engine rev an extra thousand rpms, but a stock motor doesnt really make anymore power up in those rpms, id save that money and put it towards a pipe/jet kit like everyone else says
later man

400exJOE
04-18-2002, 04:05 PM
he owns marcums ATV. Its one of the sites main sponcers. Just go into the links page. hey guys, would an xr400 cam help this guy out? They are only $120 and add good mid and top end power.

04-18-2002, 04:06 PM
Look at the White Brothers S-Bend Silencer. It's good. Don't get the WB Pro-meg, because it requires you get the head pipe and that requires some engine work to work optimally. And all that requires more $$$. WB has have great customer service and makes great products. I haven't heard to many good things about the rev kit, so I'd just go with the pipe and the rejet kit. Hope this helps.

04-18-2002, 04:15 PM
Is sund a m? if not than u may want to considera tc racing pipe. but than agine u dont sound ike the hi porformance kind of rider jut like trails and stuff. but i would sugest the white prothers or t4.

Wheelie
04-18-2002, 10:12 PM
Go with the E-Series slip-on.

IMO don't waste your money on the rev box. Also, scratch the Jet Kit, you can also save yourself $50 by going to your local dealership and purchase the jets yourself.

BornOnFire
04-18-2002, 11:29 PM
The general consensus seems to aim toward the E-Series Slip On.

Which White Bros E-series Pipe is a slip on? What is the S Bend Silencer? A slip on as well?

What about Yoshimura? Or big Gun? Decisions! Decisions!

R.M. ATV has the E Series S-Bend Silencer on their web site for $233.95. Not bad!! Can I buy the pilot jets individually from the Honda dealer? When I looked at the K&N Re Jet Kit, I was amazed at how little the package contained- a few brass jets and a pilot needle. All for over $50. Seemed like a rip off to me!

C'mon guys give me more ideas. What about a cam? A pain to install? Pull the cam may as well get the Big Bore kit???

I think I need a Valium.............:eek:

Thanks for the advice. This forum Kicks *****

Laters

BornOnFire
04-18-2002, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by 400ex&250ex
Save up for the pipe and jet kit.

Dont waste the $$$ on flowers or the rev kit. \

In your sig. How do you like the alien?

VegasEx'r
04-18-2002, 11:38 PM
You'll want to get a cam and bigger piston, but since you are on a budget, I would get a silencer first. IMHO, the jet kits are kinda expensive, but they are pretty spot on for directions, so you don't have to constantly tinker with the carb. The WB silencer is good, FWIW, I really like my Big Gun. Are you thinking of doing anything to the choke or headpipe? Those mods are free. Taking the choke off helps, and from what I have heard, grinding the slop off of the welds in the stock header is a good, free mod. If you want to buy individual jets from the dealer, buy maybe a 155, 160 & 165 MJ, and a 40 & 42 pilot. You could move the needle clip down one & start playing with your carb.

Tlongs400
04-18-2002, 11:40 PM
i like my t-4 by pro-circut it is a slip-on,just buy the jets from your honda dealer they are only 4 to 5 dollars

VegasEx'r
04-18-2002, 11:41 PM
One other thing. I just noticed that you have a 2002. Did you buy an extended warranty? I don't know much about the Honda warranty, but if you are worried about voiding it, you might want to check out what you can & can't do. :confused: :confused:

BornOnFire
04-19-2002, 07:30 AM
I guess I should check out the service dept and see what will be covered and what will not! Thanks...

ChadEXer
04-19-2002, 08:14 AM
Call Marcums (877-264-3409) and get you one of those new Big Guns. he says they are the hottest pipe on the market right now!!

NDrider
04-19-2002, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by BornOnFire
\

In your sig. How do you like the alien?

I like it alot, It was already on the quad when I bought it. If you like louder pipes you will like the Alien. I recently repacked it, it's real easy to repack and it sounds alot better. I have the receipt where it was purchased for $490.00 from www.moto-man.com (kinda pricey).