PDA

View Full Version : Kids and Racing Ages

400exdad
11-21-2004, 05:06 PM
I'm curious... and I won't tell, but is everyones kid really old enough to ride the quad they are on according to the ATVA and CPSC rules? When my oldest was finally old enough to ride the 80, he was really too big for it. What proof do they ask for when kids race? Is it a don't ask don't tell thing? :cool:

QuadJunkies
11-22-2004, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by 400exdad
I'm curious... and I won't tell, but is everyones kid really old enough to ride the quad they are on according to the ATVA and CPSC rules? When my oldest was finally old enough to ride the 80, he was really too big for it. What proof do they ask for when kids race? Is it a don't ask don't tell thing? :cool: I actually asked before my Daughter Done a Natl. race this summer,if they feel the age needs to be verified they told me they would ask for a birth Cert. so I was supposed to be prepared to have it on hand at Reg. this was for a WORCS race so Im not sure on any other Natl. how they handle it .

Lil - Braff
11-22-2004, 07:29 PM
I ride and race a 300ex and I'm 15. To big for a 90, but I don't think I should be riding a 450 either. I think the age requirements are so STUPID!!! I only race locally and they know that I'm really 15. As long as my dad is there they don't really mind. I know that I can't race nationals yet and I don't wanna risk anything so I'm just gonna wait until I turn 16 for that. Make the 16th birthday even MORE special!! :p

atvtrailrider
11-24-2004, 03:44 PM
Not all series have the same Age limit rules especially if they have their own sanctioning rather than AMA/ATVA.

Basically we have just avoided AMA/ATVA sanctioned races and have still found plenty of good ATV racing.
:p

400exdad
11-24-2004, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the replies folks. The ATVA or AMA make kids (on ATV's) out to be like leppers (spelling?) or something... thanks to the CPSC! My son was able to race in a AMA race... for charity on his 80 when he was 10 years old. No problem. But that was his first and only race. :( And we could prolly race MX if we wanted to, but we really like XC. I guess I need to look around more, make some calls and be willing to drive and maybe spend the night.Right now, I have a 14 year old on a 300 and a 7 year old on the 80.

quad_45
11-24-2004, 09:53 PM
It all depends on if they want to be stifflers for the rules or not. They usually don't question it unless the child is obviously can't control the ATV. I know from personal exsperience, if you do well in a class for a year, and someone says they are underage, they can disquilfy that child if they can prove that they are underage. I personally waited, I looked like a money f-n a foot ball, but I didn't want to work soo hard at something and then get shot down at the end. I would make phone calls and just double check what they say.

AtvMxRider
11-25-2004, 08:12 AM
You can race a 200cc 2 stroke or 300cc 4 stroke at age 13.

11-26-2004, 05:11 PM
we waited for this upcoming year to let both my sons be legal to race (9yrs for a trx90 and 6 for a suz 50) and now they are going to change it :mad: with the new rules they could have raced last year!! the irony:confused: but at least they got a year better and the older one ran a natnl. so that gave him a little exp.;) i'll say this if i hadn't pursued the org. about his age and racn i prob would have let him race. he was def ready last year.

tprender
11-26-2004, 05:42 PM
You will find that the age differs with xc and mx. At the xc if it is an AMA/ATVA race they should be 16. If it is just a local non- race they will let them ride most of the time.
At mx there are classes for the under 16 olds. In the last 2-3 years the ATVA has been dropping the ages now that the CPSC thing has expired. I am sure that it will change again at the end of next year. Most mx tracks are running some form of the youth classes.
The main thing is to class ahead and ask before you go. You should carrry a copy of the birth Cerf. with you at all times when you go to a race.

exman
11-26-2004, 06:53 PM
Like said before

atva GNC nationals MX

age 13-15 on 300ex's blasters etc...

but if you look around at local tracks even ama sanctioned ones this class is really starting to take off, becuase it is a great intermediate very compettitive in expensive class to race

push for your l0cal ama sanctioned track to include this class and get the word out,,,promoter will be suprised what turns up for these races...especially when they double gate it and it has more entries thatn the c class....that be $$$$$$ in there eyes

rollie
11-26-2004, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by exman
promoter will be suprised what turns up for these races...especially when they double gate it and it has more entries thatn the c class....that be $$$$$$ in there eyes

oo yeah i race that class...at a LOCAL RACE we gotta double gate...its crazy and the class is pretty competitive aswell:cool:

wolvee
11-26-2004, 10:15 PM
The Iowa Series does have the new class by ATVA. We call it the Jurior class 13-15 yr olds. 0-200cc 2 Stroke/0-300 4Stroke. We also run 50s & 90s in our series. The whole family can come race. We really think that Junior class is a really good class that allows the kids to race a full size machine w/ limited cc. Our turnout wasn't that big this year for that class, it was the first year it was offered. Give it a year or so and it could be a really good thing.

Come race with us sometime. We will try not to disappoint you.

Keep an eye out in the next couple weeks. We will be posting info on the Heartland Amateur Nationals. And this class will be part of it. You'll want to find a series to race to qualify to race this.

www.iowaatvharescrambleseries.com