PDA

View Full Version : My new toy - HDTV!

MOFO
11-21-2004, 04:07 PM
Well we finally moved into our new place and the first thing I bought was my new TV. 46" Samsung DLP HDTV. This thing is unreal. I can hook my PC or Laptop up to it and the picture is just as good or better than my 17" LCD.

Anyone else have a newer projection HDTV? I've been at Best Buy and Circuit City for a few months now and I thought the TV looked good in there... it looks 10x better now that I've adjusted everything and I'm using a MUCH better input signal.

sprtrx300ex
11-21-2004, 04:10 PM
I have the same tv, except 51" :D

Nice choice

JDiablo
11-21-2004, 04:11 PM
man i need a new TV my 27 inch "regular" aint cuttin it no more
That is sweet how much that run you?

Guy400
11-21-2004, 04:12 PM
This is all I have:(

Guy400
11-21-2004, 04:13 PM
J/K...I stole that pic off the Net:D

JDiablo
11-21-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Guy400

thats all right?lmao

MotoX3
sweet....thatd be good for watching some p:eek2:rn....jk :p

MOFO
Originally posted by 300exrida
man i need a new TV my 27 inch "regular" aint cuttin it no more
That is sweet how much that run you?

MSRP is 3100 but I got a great deal at CC for 2500 before tax...plus 60 days of price matching, so if they lower it for x-mas, I'll get the difference back.

The only thing I can watch right now are DVD's....I cant get ANY OTA HD channels where we live (very close to pittsburgh too... :confused: ) Cant wait for the Direct TV guy to show up this week.

MOFO
11-21-2004, 04:16 PM
J/K...I stole that pic off the Net:D

I was gonna say...:eek2:

JDiablo
11-21-2004, 04:16 PM
sweet...might have to go buy something liek that not that much money though:(

Guy400
11-21-2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by MOFO
I was gonna say...:eek2: I could get a pic of the 5 year old 32" Toshiba if you're really interested...lmfao:D

MOFO
11-21-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by 300exrida
sweet...might have to go buy something liek that not that much money though:(

if you dont mind the weight and size, you can get a great deal on a CRT based projection HDTV....'bout half the cost or less than a DLP or LCD.

FasstMidnightZ
11-21-2004, 04:18 PM
damn all of u are lucky all i got is an old one heres a pic http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid147/pe68805c7931bc89233203c5fc311fc3c/f62f16d1.jpg

honda350r
11-21-2004, 05:29 PM
Cant wait for the Direct TV guy to show up this week.

Make sure you get TiVo with DirectTV ..

Pappy
11-21-2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by honda350r

ok..i know im out of the loop. what the heck is tivo:confused:

kabd69667
11-21-2004, 05:33 PM
worthless..tivo will soon have pop-up ads when you skip the commercials.

Big400EX
11-21-2004, 05:34 PM
Tivo is like you can record shows that are being played so you can watch them later.

For example, you can find a show or movie that you wana see and you choose it, Tivo will tell you when and where its going to be playing, and if you can watch it, you can record it and watch it later.

Someone I know has it. Me and my parents dont watch tv enough to get this stuff, lol.

theTman
11-21-2004, 05:42 PM
we got a 51 inch big screen....with a story behind it

my mom and her boyfreind went to cirtcuit city to look at TVs. They had a good deal (the one we have now). The guy said that John Kerry had borrowed it for one of his conferences or something like that (i dont know what he used it for). But the guys had dropped it and put 2 dents in the top, right abouve the screen. So we got it for like $1500:)

chucked
11-21-2004, 05:45 PM
I have a 27" Zenith Space Command from like 1985, works as good as the day my parents bought it :)

honda350r
11-21-2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
ok..i know im out of the loop. what the heck is tivo:confused:

It is one of those things that sounds dumb,untill you get one you won't know how you lived with out it! Live tv BLOWS !!

If you think this fourm is big the Tivo fourm has more than twice as many members..

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/

Pappy
11-21-2004, 05:59 PM
damn...thats crazy

we are buying a big screen but i havent even looked at the options. price isnt a big concern just quality i geuss. i dont watch much tv anymore but it would be cool when company comes over

MOFO
11-21-2004, 06:37 PM

I already have an 80hr Tivo series 2... I dont really have a need for 2 tuners, so I'll stick with my current Tivo...and I have a lifetime subscription, so I'm keeping it for awhile. I did purchase the new TS360 HD receiver for Direct TV... so far I really like this unit (when I was able to get OTA HD).

...and your right... Live TV does blow without Tivo. Everytime we go to a friends house and watch something, I always find myself looking for the pause button to talk about something or the rewind button when watching a football game.

MOFO
11-21-2004, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by kabd69667
worthless..tivo will soon have pop-up ads when you skip the commercials.

I havent really read up on this, but heard about it. If its true, my Tivo will be missing from my component rack.

SGA
11-21-2004, 07:12 PM
You guys are sissys. Real men watch 15 inch black and white TV's.

JOEX
11-21-2004, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by SGA
I may have some hip 8-Track for ya!:p

spincr4hire
11-22-2004, 07:06 AM
Nice set Mofo.
I got a 55" Mitsubishi HDTV rear projection that I bought when they first came out, probably not as clear of a picture as yours has, but still great.

Guy, I wish I had that setup of the pic you posted, thats f-in sweet:eek2:

Taco
11-22-2004, 07:28 AM
HDTV is the chit:D

muddkitten
11-22-2004, 07:31 AM
black and white? 15 inch? what is this you speak of?

derekhonda
11-22-2004, 07:34 AM
65 incher in my basement :D, no hdtv though, i really wish it did have it the picture would be unreal

MY450R
11-22-2004, 10:43 AM
i also have a 50 incher
oh wait thats only if i bend it in half:devil:

Bush0102
11-22-2004, 10:49 AM
yeah i thought tivo was worthless until my girlfriend's family got it...

its amazing technology and really useful. I think its like 300 bucks for a lifetime subscription though.

We have digital cable, and they have a built-in tivo thing we dont have to pay for. If you can get digital cable in your area i think its alot better than sattelite.

big_poppa49
11-22-2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by muddkitten
black and white? 15 inch? what is this you speak of?

ROFL, thats funny...:D

400exdad
11-22-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by theTman
we got a 51 inch big screen....with a story behind it

my mom and her boyfreind went to cirtcuit city to look at TVs. They had a good deal (the one we have now). The guy said that John Kerry had borrowed it for one of his conferences or something like that (i dont know what he used it for). But the guys had dropped it and put 2 dents in the top, right abouve the screen. So we got it for like $1500:)

Oh you guys got ripped! John Kerry may have touched it! :D :D

Quad18star
11-22-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by SGA

HAHAHA .... Sad thing is , I have a 13inch TV in my bedroom that I watch movie on :confused: ...

Try watching a DVD thats in Widescreen format only on this TV .... Good F'ing Luck ..... bring your glasses for sure !!!!! 13in TV ... widescreen format movie equals 9 inches of movie viewing screen . :(

spincr4hire
11-22-2004, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Bush0102
We have digital cable, and they have a built-in tivo thing we dont have to pay for. If you can get digital cable in your area i think its alot better than sattelite.

I got that, too. Its kinda nice being able to pause live tv so you can get up and get another beer or whatever.

DAB516
11-22-2004, 12:10 PM
http://www.missouri.edu/~mslgx6/images/100_0003.JPG

Here's mine. HDTV is awesome I live near Pittsburgh about 2 mins from the airport. I get my HD through Comcast. I have a nice asortment of channels. I find myself watching the craziest thing in HD. They give tours of all the states and I feel like I have visited Las Vegas New York, and Flordia all in one day

Quad18star
11-22-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by spincr4hire
I got that, too. Its kinda nice being able to pause live tv so you can get up and get another beer or whatever.

I don't completly understand being able to pause "live TV" .... if you pause it , wouldn't it not be "Live" anymore??? :confused:

I'm confuzled !!!!!!!

MOFO
11-22-2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by DAB516
http://www.missouri.edu/~mslgx6/images/100_0003.JPG

Here's mine. HDTV is awesome I live near Pittsburgh about 2 mins from the airport. I get my HD through Comcast. I have a nice asortment of channels. I find myself watching the craziest thing in HD. They give tours of all the states and I feel like I have visited Las Vegas New York, and Flordia all in one day

nice setup.

I've got a question for ya... I just moved out near the airport myself...actually about 5 min away from Robinson Town Center (the mall). Are you able to get any OTA HD channels? At my old place, near Greentree, I could pick all of them up. Out here I cant get anything, I even bought a bigger antenna (Trek TV-55)...no luck.

Hopefully my phone line will be put in soon so the Direct TV guy can get his butt out here! :cool:

Doibugu2
11-22-2004, 12:55 PM

Hopefully my phone line will be put in soon so the Direct TV guy can get his butt out here! :cool:

You don't have to have a phone line in order for them to install the stuff. You would have to go back and set them up later, but that is no biggie.

I had direct tv for over a year without a phone line.

MOFO
11-22-2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Doibugu2
You don't have to have a phone line in order for them to install the stuff. You would have to go back and set them up later, but that is no biggie.

I had direct tv for over a year without a phone line.

really???

I never had Direct TV before (or any dish)...I thought it would have been required for the install.

If thats the case, I'm callin them today!!!

SGA
11-22-2004, 01:05 PM
Thats a nice TV Mofo! Ive been in circuit city drooling over the new HDTV's. As soon as my regular 27'' TV fizzles out, im going for it. Im in no rush though. The technology gets better everyday plus the price keeps dropping. Just look how far they have come as far as picture quality in the last three years.

I also read a good article the other day about how the manufactuers are working on HD DVD's. A regular DVD that you rent is not high definition (HD).
It takes ALOT of disc space to put a HD movie on DVD, way more than what todays DVD's can hold.

Doibugu2
11-22-2004, 01:07 PM
really???

I never had Direct TV before (or any dish)...I thought it would have been required for the install.

If thats the case, I'm callin them today!!!

Yea, it's only needed if you want to purchase movies or update the info on your box. But it's not necessary to actually watch the TV.

MOFO
11-22-2004, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by SGA

I also read a good article the other day about how the manufactuers are working on HD DVD's. A regular DVD that you rent is not high definition (HD).
It takes ALOT of disc space to put a HD movie on DVD, way more than what todays DVD's can hold.

Yep, when the blue laser technology becomes more common and cheaper, those HD DVD's should be out.

Until then, I suggest getting a DVD player that will upscale the DVD for ya...I just got one and it makes a big difference. DVD's *almost* look as good as a high quality HD feed. Basically takes the 480i (or is it 480p for DVD's?) and upscales to 720P or 1080i (HD resolutions)

DAB516
11-22-2004, 02:10 PM
nice setup.

I've got a question for ya... I just moved out near the airport myself...actually about 5 min away from Robinson Town Center (the mall). Are you able to get any OTA HD channels? At my old place, near Greentree, I could pick all of them up. Out here I cant get anything, I even bought a bigger antenna (Trek TV-55)...no luck.

No I don't get any OTA HD channels but i'm hoping pretty soon it will come.

400exrules
11-22-2004, 02:11 PM
God u ppl are rich.......

250xridamatt
11-22-2004, 03:34 PM
I love my Tivo. We still have the good old 32 inch t.v. Until maybe my dad gets his next car done and there is a little extra money around?

My neighbor runs a sound design company. He does stuff for movie theaters, rich and famous peoples homes, stuff like that.

Well i went down in their basement once. They have projector that probably costs $5,000, and he said about 10,000$ or more worth of audio. Its like a movie theater, without the sticky floors, with a few lazyboys. Now they are rich.

fasterz
11-22-2004, 03:39 PM
i got a pretty sik set up down my basment. its a 55in sony widescreen HDTV with the direct TV HD reciever and one of those hot dog hanger antennas to pick up over the air HDTV for all the locals nd stuff. then i have sony surround with dolby digital 5.1 with a progressive 5 disk dvd player. every thing is hooked up with firewire and optical cables. its so cool to watch those city tours and the discovery channel theater. OCC in HD kicks ***!!

DAB516
11-22-2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by fasterz
i got a pretty sik set up down my basment. its a 55in sony widescreen HDTV with the direct TV HD reciever and one of those hot dog hanger antennas to pick up over the air HDTV for all the locals nd stuff. then i have sony surround with dolby digital 5.1 with a progressive 5 disk dvd player. every thing is hooked up with firewire and optical cables. its so cool to watch those city tours and the discovery channel theater. OCC in HD kicks ***!!

Agreed You cant go wrong with buying the best cables out there to hook up your components. They own me. I spent close to $150 on just on cable.

spincr4hire
11-22-2004, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
I don't completly understand being able to pause "live TV" .... if you pause it , wouldn't it not be "Live" anymore??? :confused:

I'm confuzled !!!!!!!

true, but when the commercials start, you can fast forward and usually get back to "Live" tv.

SGA
11-27-2004, 09:03 AM
More advertising?

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/ptech/11/26/tivo.surrender.ap/index.html

310Rduner
11-27-2004, 02:12 PM
Mofo, go with dish network we just got that about a month ago. The basic starts at $29 a month, and 120 channels goes for $39, or $56 for 120 channels +hbo and cinemax. You can get their tivo system for $4 per month. The receiver/box is a dual tuner so it covers 2 rooms with one box. You can record two televisions shows at the same time, AND watch a show you previously recorded. It's a 100hour box, and will record up to like 80 hours of hdtv if you get that service from them. I think the hdtv channels are like an extra $10 per month for the package. You do not have to pay for the equipment at all, and you do not have to be on a contract either if you are referred by a current dish network member (they give you a promotional code/card which you give to dishnetwork) so you can drop it at any time. Free installation, $50 credit on your first bill, and the equipment is all free. You can also setup 4 rooms to watch stations independently for no extra charge. I've been really happy with satelite compared to comcast digital cable, and have had no troubles with the dish going out in rain or heavy winds, their customer support has been pretty good as well and is always helpful.

HtFoxChick
12-09-2004, 05:27 PM

My rents just bought a 60" HDTV by Panasonic, with Bose surround sound. Can't wait for dad to get it hooked up tho!:rolleyes: It's gonna be awesome!!!!

MOFO
12-10-2004, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by HtFoxChick
with Bose surround sound.

:( sorry to hear that.... for the cost of a BOSE system, you could have done alot better.

...to each their own though... :confused:

popo
12-10-2004, 05:44 AM
:( sorry to hear that.... for the cost of a BOSE system, you could have done alot better.

Ya like Krell speakers for $17,000.00.

Actually I have Bose acoustamass 15 and they do sound good.

Guy400
12-10-2004, 03:59 PM
Price a set of Martin-Logan Statement E2's:eek2: Last time I looked they were $77,000!

Ralph
12-10-2004, 04:06 PM
One thing ive noticed is that a nice tv and a perfect picture will not make a ****ty movie good, but a good movie is just as good on any tv.

weird:p

MOFO
12-11-2004, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by Ralph
but a good movie is just as good on any tv.

weird:p

no way.

Watch a good movie on a standard 25" TV using the TV speakers for the audio.... then...watch the same movie on a wide screen 40+" HDTV, upscaling the resolution to 720P with a upscaling DVD player and listen to the soundtrack with a GOOD 5.1 DD/DTS system that has been properly calibrated.

then tell me "a good movie is just as good on any TV" or system. You have no idea how much you are missing....stuff that the director intends for you to see and hear!

BTW, about the BOSE comment, I never said they do not sound good.... I was making a comment about the cost vs performance...

SGA
12-11-2004, 11:02 AM

I was in the audio store the other day. They had about 8 brands of speakers tied in to the home theater system and you could press a button to switch between them.
After running through the different brands, those bose speakers sounded real nice.
Thats prob the brand I would buy because they sounded better to me than the others.