PDA

View Full Version : what is making the hissing

Skannes
11-21-2004, 02:33 PM
aliright i was noticing a sound with my pipe. When im in first gear and giving it throttle just puttin around through trees i start hereing a hissing sound coming from my pipe. is this bad. i talked to a macanic and he said that is soundnt be a prolem.( me and him build quads from the ground up.) so i took his judgement but im still kinda nervuse?

JDiablo
11-21-2004, 02:42 PM
maybe an exhaust leak somewhere?check for that otherwise idk

Plante400
11-21-2004, 09:37 PM
may have to be repacked? how long have u been running it

cals400ex
11-21-2004, 11:51 PM
does it sound like it is coming up closer to the header or the silencer? if it is by the header, i bet it is just the 400ex engine. these engines all make a similar hissing sound that i have heard. i am not sure what it is but i have been told it might be the oil pumps

Toadz400
11-22-2004, 11:08 AM
Something is probably leaking or melting something, are your rear plastics too close to your pipe?

And I might add that you are one lucky 14 year old, given the opportunity to build quads from the ground up! Hopefully you stay in school, it might improve your spelling:p .

RaptorRacrr04
11-22-2004, 06:10 PM
i had a similar problem...i think...when i first got my WB r-4 on my raptor i noticed a hissing sound...and come to find out it was the compression coming out of the pipe and breakin thru the air...sounds weird but thats wut it was..put your hand over the end of the pipe and see if you still hear it...but dont burn urself or choke it out :cool:

Skannes
11-23-2004, 09:17 PM
yeah i noticed that when i put my hand over the end cap to feel if it is warmed up if stops so if it is the compression is it bad or does it really matter all that much??

LazeR
11-23-2004, 10:28 PM
My HMF makes kind of a whoosh hissing sound, only when i give it throttle and it doesnt do it when my hand is in front of the end cap...it just has something to do with the air coming out i guess :rolleyes: im pretty sure i dont have an exhaust leak