PDA

View Full Version : Jeep Tire Question

Honda4trax250x
11-21-2004, 02:29 PM
I might be picking up a 95 Wrangler tonight and I have a question.

I would like to get BFG A/T's however I kinda like the mudterrainsas well.

I would get the m/t's but im not sure how they are on pavement because this will be a daily driver.....Are the m/t's gunna handle crappy on pavement, and will they wear funny?

So what am I better off with?

Feel free to name a totally different set of tires too, I would like other options to consider.

Thanks
Mike

XCAdam89
11-21-2004, 02:48 PM
I would get the BF A/T. My dad has them on his truck and their good. :)

Honda4trax250x
11-21-2004, 02:50 PM
yea, I had them on my truck thats now totaled and I loved them.

I just wanted to know if the mud terrains are good too.

Rdhanded2
11-21-2004, 03:12 PM
Not for daily driver. Mine wore down really fast. They whine like crazy at highway speeds too.

kamikaze_rzrbak
11-21-2004, 03:49 PM
if you want the best of both world get Toyo Open Country MT's they look really cool they are silent on the road and they run off road just as good as any other MT
http://toyo.com/tires/tire_lines/popups/jpgs/opmt.jpg

parkers30
11-21-2004, 04:04 PM
I've ridden in vehicle with just about every major mud tire on em and I think the m/t are a great tire so long as your alignment etc is in good shape you should be good pretty quiet on road too, Baja claws are another good tire to look at almost silent at highway speed and great offroad, but hey my on highway noise meter maybe a little messed up, cause nothing can compare to boggers :rolleyes:

bama400ex
11-21-2004, 04:08 PM
any mud tire will whine when they wear down some. and they will wear down quicker than a normal tire. if you just want something that looks and goes pretty good just get a cheap set. something like maxxis buckshot. they are not a top of the line offroad tire but they will do just fine in the mud. and none of them is going to last long so you might as well go cheap. if you want a good all terrain tire that last a long time get a set of bridgestone duelers a/t. they last forever. mud tires handle fine on pavement except they dont grip as good as a normal tire when its wet. but it aint no big deal. ive have bought 4 sets of mud tires for my jeep. and thats been in the last 5 years. but i drive the hell out of it.

99TRDTaco
11-21-2004, 05:38 PM
I have a set of 33x12.50x15 BFG MTs and I love them they are not very noisy at all even at highway speeds. They do make more noise than an AT but that is to be expected mine have about 8K miles on them and still look new they do not shake and were easy to balance. If you go with an MT def go with the BFG and you will be pleased.

kicken250x
11-21-2004, 06:25 PM
any tire will wear DECENT (not great...) if you dont drive like an idiot and get on it all the time and you keep your alignment in check. hell ive seen boggers last 2 years on a truck that was driven 3 days out of the week 30 min to work then 30 back home and went wheeled like a ******* on the weekends. nothing beates the WAH WAH WAH WAH WAH of riding some 44 inch boggers either....:macho

zoe17
11-21-2004, 06:51 PM
Check out the bridgestone dueler A/t. I have a set of 33 x 12.50's that I used to run. They where a good all terrain and wore better than the K.O.s. I run a mud tire daily and as long as you keep proper inflation and alignment tire wear is not a big issue.

I also have around 3000 watts of power so I cannot here the whine anyway.

Dice Wiley
11-21-2004, 09:00 PM
get the m/tr's (goodyear) very good traction, decent tread life and quiet on the road------ a must in a jeep----- trust me

Honda4trax250x
11-21-2004, 09:03 PM
thanks for all the replys

now i have another jeep related question:

Is the 2.5L I4 a dog? How non-powerful will it be?

Cuz im looking at 2 right now, one is an i4 and the other is a 6, and they are both really clean.

In case the one with the 6 falls through and i got the I4, would i be extremely unhappy?

btw they are both 95s and both 5spd

99TRDTaco
11-21-2004, 09:22 PM
Me personally I would hold out for a 6cyl.

Samson
11-22-2004, 10:28 AM
How can you hear the tires on the highway over all the wind noise? :o

I had the a/t's on a '94 and my b-in-law has the m/t's on his '86 cj. All I can say is he got a heck of lot better traction off road.

Warrioreater400ex
11-22-2004, 02:14 PM
ha, a question right up my alley! i have known several people personally with both tires, and i have run Uniroyal Laredo M/T's, which is basically the same tread design as the BFG, personally the A/T's are good, but if you keep them rotated, there is really no reason not to get the M/T's, i have seen them last 40,000+ miles easily, and the A/T's arent much longer. But in the mud there is no comparison, the A/T's will get you a lot of places, but with a lot of slipping sliding wheelspin and praying, as where the M/T will get you more places with less trouble, my vote, BFG M/T. As far as the engine, yes the YJ 4 is low on power and not built very tough, the 4.0 L six is not my favorite but it is a very reliable and torquey engine, it provides enough power, definitely the 4.0L six over the 4 cyl.

TheX1992
11-22-2004, 02:37 PM
I've got the 95 Wrangler with the I4. It's not too bad. I would definately try for the I6 though. But I cannot complain on what mine does. I have kept up to big thumpin V8's with no problem. You just have to know the limits of the vehicle. You won't be complaining about the gas milage either. Givin driving a Jeep down the highway is about the same as driving a huge box. You certainly won't be doing any brakestands with it, but it holds up great. It is actually a pretty strong little 4 popper. You will be happy with either one that you choose.

blackraptor16
11-22-2004, 03:10 PM
I LOVED my Mud Terrains. I drove every day on I-94 to and from school. It wasn't that bad. I didn't ever notice the noise (that's what the radio is for) and they didn't ride all that rough (unless you're a wuss) :D

We now have them on our Silverado - and love them on that too!

bama400ex
11-22-2004, 04:38 PM
another thing to keep in mind if you do get the mud tires. you will go alot better in the mud, but when you get stuck you really get stuck. if you dont keep your jeep going foward or backwards, it will go down fast. when you have street tires or a/t you can rock a car back and forth fow awhile and still not be that bad off. but when the mud tires stop moving you, you will be bottomed out real quick like if you keep trying to get out.

Warrioreater400ex
11-22-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by bama400ex
another thing to keep in mind if you do get the mud tires. you will go alot better in the mud, but when you get stuck you really get stuck. if you dont keep your jeep going foward or backwards, it will go down fast. when you have street tires or a/t you can rock a car back and forth fow awhile and still not be that bad off. but when the mud tires stop moving you, you will be bottomed out real quick like if you keep trying to get out.

No offense but i must disagree with you, with all my experience in mudding, this has not been true, you can rock back and forth much better with mud tires, not to mention get further in the first place, granted they do dig faster, but they dig forward and down, as where usually, A/Ts dont have the lugs to dig forward, but they have the vehicles weight pushing them down, so they seem to just dig down, also when being pulled out, pulling something out with A/T's is about like pulling dead weight because the vehicle is not pulling itself because the treads are packed, as where usually when you get vehicle with M/T's moving, they can help help themselves a little at least, where its not just like pulling dead weight.i mean if it were true, i would be running 38" TRXus STS's instead of my Swamper s/x's.

bama400ex
11-22-2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Warrioreater400ex
No offense but i must disagree with you, with all my experience in mudding, this has not been true, you can rock back and forth much better with mud tires, not to mention get further in the first place, granted they do dig faster, but they dig forward and down, as where usually, A/Ts dont have the lugs to dig forward, but they have the vehicles weight pushing them down, so they seem to just dig down, also when being pulled out, pulling something out with A/T's is about like pulling dead weight because the vehicle is not pulling itself because the treads are packed, as where usually when you get vehicle with M/T's moving, they can help help themselves a little at least, where its not just like pulling dead weight.i mean if it were true, i would be running 38" TRXus STS's instead of my Swamper s/x's. well first off, i never said you cant rock back and forth better with a mud tire. i know mud tires rock back and forth alot better. and i think i said you can go better with a mud tire. what i did say was that with all terrains you can rock back and forth and still not be that bad stuck. you can stay ''on top'' of the ground alot longer with all terrains verus mud terrains. now if you do dig with the a/t for awhile of course you will bottom out. but what i said if you have a mud terrain and your not going forward or backwards the only place you are going is down, and your going to go down alot quicker if you aint moving with a m/t verus a a/t. bottom line is, yes of course a mud terrain will go alot better than a a/t. but with a mud terrain when you get stuck, you usally get stuck bad if you dont stop spinning your tires as soon as you cant move anymore. as far as people pulling you out, if they have a winch the best thing to do is just sit there in netrual until they get you out of the ruts and back on top of the ground. ive seen alot of people dig ruts bout 20 yards being drug by a winch and trying to help the winch out by giving it hell. when alot of time if they would just let the winch pull them 8 ft out of there holes, then gas on it, they would have gotten out alot quicker. try it for yourself, next time it rains get somebody with a/t and somebody with m/t. hook them to a tree and let them give it hell for about 10 secs. and see which one is deeper and stuck worse, then report back. i cant believe i typed all this bs, its pretty much common sense.

Honda4trax250x
11-22-2004, 06:26 PM
im guessing if i put a 2 "lift on the I4 jeep and put 33" tires on it I would have to change the gearing?

bama400ex
11-22-2004, 06:30 PM
yea i think you would need to.

Samson
11-22-2004, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Honda4trax250x
im guessing if i put a 2 "lift on the I4 jeep and put 33" tires on it I would have to change the gearing?

Get ready for fender rub with only a 2" lift and 33's. BAD match.

TheX1992
11-22-2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Honda4trax250x

I have 32"s with a 3" body lift and with my tire pushed all the way up it BARELY hits my fender flare. You would want to get the 3" for 33"s. And for the gearing, I never had to yet. It's not that big of a deal. It does bog down a bit in 4wheel drive so it wouldn't hurt any, but it's certainly not undriveable if you don't.

Samson
11-22-2004, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by TheX1992
I have 32"s with a 3" body lift and with my tire pushed all the way up it BARELY hits my fender flare. You would want to get the 3" for 33"s. And for the gearing, I never had to yet. It's not that big of a deal. It does bog down a bit in 4wheel drive so it wouldn't hurt any, but it's certainly not undriveable if you don't.

With a suspension lift, you need 4-5" because of the increased articulation.

Honda4trax250x
11-22-2004, 08:04 PM
weird, the guys TJ had a 2"lift and the tires fit fine

maybe he did a BL too

Honda4trax250x
11-22-2004, 08:07 PM
okay nvm, my friend thinks that they were 31s, he messed up

Samson
11-22-2004, 08:08 PM
If you don't get offroad it may not matter, but if you saw some of the chit my b-law put that cj in, you'd freak. He's got a 3" lift and custom shackles for about a 4" lift and it still rubs when it's in a bind.

longie
11-22-2004, 09:10 PM
engine=get the 6 I had one last year and it was great ('99) Throw a TBS (throttle body spacer) and a K & N intake or Air raid, good, noticeable power gain.

for the newer jeeps, Rancho makes a 2.5" lift that they say clears 33s. If I had it back, I'd put a 4" Teraflex, Superlift Rock Runner or 4" skyjacker rock ready lift.

Tires: goodyear M/Ts, BFG M/t, Pro Comp M/t or Baja Claws. I have the 33s BFG A/ts on my '74 Blazer and they have worked extreemely well on the rocky trails I've taken it on (AZ, south of Tucson)

Warrioreater400ex
11-22-2004, 10:13 PM
Im definitely not a jeep expert considering im a toyota guy, lol kinda the respectful enemy, but i would do moderately both, 2" shackles or AAL (if you can do that on a spring under?), and a 2" body lift, wont look too bad and be moderately both, and should be able to clear 33's without much of a problem. Shackles wont affect the ride, but will flatten your springs quicker, and you will still flex good, Add A Leafs will make your ride stiffer but will also keep any sagging or overloading.

LazeR
11-23-2004, 12:06 AM
Hancock Dynamic M/t's. Good off road tire, decent wear on the highway, and not to much road noise, i mostly hear it around 40mph.... dont bother me though, since i have always heard in anything i have driven or my parents have driven :)

FourFiftyFour
11-23-2004, 12:13 AM
well like everyone has said MTs are going to wear down way too quickly which is a shame bc yes they are sweet! I love that hummin down the road :D

I just got a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers (ATs) and they have been wonderful so far, they look great (sidewalls are sweet lookin!) and they give me GREAT traction on the road! i feel much more confident about traction now. I have heard they last well also. I havent been able to test the tires off-road yet, but maybe i will get to soon. Here is my truck with my new tires

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/MotoXQuadChick/DSC00159.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/MotoXQuadChick/DSC00133.jpg

Samson
11-23-2004, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by Warrioreater400ex
Add A Leafs will make your ride stiffer but will also keep any sagging or overloading.

Can't say for sure on the jeep....but,

I thought that too until I added some to my Taco. They made two different kinds for it. Long and Short. Was told short was for hauling loads (stiff) and long was for a better ride (soft). Put the long on mine. It lifted the back about 2.5" and with some Ranchos, it actually improved the ride! I was pleasantly surprised! :cool:

Traded it for the family car. :(

Samson
11-23-2004, 07:48 AM
How about 3" suspension blocks all the way around! :o :p :D

Honda4trax250x
11-23-2004, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by CDaleChick
well like everyone has said MTs are going to wear down way too quickly which is a shame bc yes they are sweet! I love that hummin down the road :D

I just got a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers (ATs) and they have been wonderful so far, they look great (sidewalls are sweet lookin!) and they give me GREAT traction on the road! i feel much more confident about traction now. I have heard they last well also. I havent been able to test the tires off-road yet, but maybe i will get to soon. Here is my truck with my new tires

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/MotoXQuadChick/DSC00159.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/MotoXQuadChick/DSC00133.jpg

yea i really love those tires but they really arent on my budget