PDA

View Full Version : 400ex head stud problem HELP!!

400ex2072
11-21-2004, 01:15 PM
Heres my problem hope someone can help/answer. I have the head studs on my 416 heli coiled. One of the studs is failing now that Im putting my motor back together. If I attempt to tighten it tighter than 20 lbs of torque it starts pulling out of the aluminum. This is way under the torque specs on the studs. The problem is that it is heli coiled too big to replace it with a larger stud kit. I have access to a master welder who could weld the hole up and re do it but he fears that the heat will warp the cylinder if that is attempted. He mentioned something about putting an insert or something in it like he has done on drag bikes, but Im not sure what this is, and if it will hold. I am wondering if any of you know of a way to fix my problem, or if getting a new cylinder is my only option of fixing this. If I have to get a new cylinder I will since its the off season basically now, but if I can salvage this one I would obviously like to do that since the other 3 studs are holding fine. Any help is appreciated thanks.

SIXTEEN QUAD
11-21-2004, 02:02 PM
i think the insert he was referring to is a time sert it works just like a heli coil but it is a solid piece instead of coils it will more than likely work better than a heli coil we use them on automotive head bolts all the time

mojoe2878
11-21-2004, 02:58 PM
have the insert put in and it should fix the problem. inserts work very well when installed properly.