PDA

View Full Version : Tranny or clutch problems...please help?

400exbiggun
11-21-2004, 09:58 AM
Well i posted this on bt as well and didnt get a response yet, so i figured someone here has something to say.

Well this is in my jeep (dont ride my dirtbike much at all)
anyway, we went to the movies tonight. We met this one kid at his house, and had time to waste to wait for him there, so i drove around a feild...did 1 doughnut, went back and he wanted to do one also, so i did one one last time..it was wet out and there was no problem in the flat feild.

Except on the 2nd one, when i was heading back, it felt like i was towing a bus behind me. It usually will move at about 1-1.5 grand, it took 2-2.5 grand to get moving. So we left, on the way out of his driveway i knoticed it had NO power till you got up to about 50-60.

Then i realized that it was only in 3rd gear . The only way to get into 1-2 is to manually start in 1-2, then after 1 it would automatically shift into 2nd, then i had to push it into 3rd or drive. THat was the only way it would go into higher or lower gears.

After it sat about a half hour, got back in and what do you know, it shifts. But it dosent seem to have the power it used to. Reverse is perfect, it goes and shifts into all gears, but before (i didnt do it all the time) i could spin from a stop just gunning it...couldnt even do that in the rain today.

Its just weird.

Now my q is, is this a tranny or clutch thing.

Also from when i got the jeep, i could be going 45-55mph then step on the gas on the highway, it would revv up, then hit like a neutral, and redline...make a grinding noise then i let off and it would catch. Only did it some times.

And now when i get out of the jeep i smell this weird smell...kinda smells like burning rubber, well not really. Its probably a fried clutch.

Also i have a 3 month warranty that i got with the jeep from the dealer ...its a 1994 cherokee sport 4x4 4.0l...the warranty is powertrain, it covers tranny...but due to lack of internal lubrication or something like that :confused:
but it ends this month

brian-250
11-21-2004, 10:43 AM
Sounds like a fried tranny to me, get it fixed before you drive it to much more and really tear something up!;)

Scott-300ex
11-21-2004, 02:33 PM
apparently you have an automatic since you said it automatically shifts into 2nd, so you have a torque converter, not a clutch, which is probably what you meant because you said clutch thing.

my uncles tranny did the same thing, kind of, so its your tranny, just get that fixed.

400exbiggun
11-21-2004, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Scott-300ex
apparently you have an automatic since you said it automatically shifts into 2nd, so you have a torque converter, not a clutch, which is probably what you meant because you said clutch thing.

my uncles tranny did the same thing, kind of, so its your tranny, just get that fixed.

oops my bad sorry

yeah its a automatic.

Its going tomorrow to the tranny place. They will look at it for free. So ill let you guys know what it is.

400exbiggun
11-21-2004, 06:23 PM
well my 3 month warranty ends this month

it states:

"TRANSMISSION: Transmission case failure caused by any internal lubricated part, all internal lubricated parts, torque converter, flywheel. Seals and gaskets are covered only in conjunction with a covered part."

think its covered????

kicken250x
11-21-2004, 06:45 PM
scott is right, you have a torque converter not a clutch. if the trans still shifts smooth, you dont notice any funny sounds and when you are moving there is no jerking or anything abmornal, just a loss in power. it sounds to me like its the converter. for a capable mechanic (one thats seperated a tranny from the block befor) its not to big of a ******. but if youve never messed with anything of the sort, HAVE SOMEONE DO IT!!!! and watch and talk chit cause thats always fun:D

now that i think about it.....one way to know for sure what it is...does it rev higher than normal befor you move or does the engine seem to lack the ability to rev like normal??

400exbiggun
11-21-2004, 07:00 PM
ok here it is

yesterday it took more rpms to get moving then normal
it will usually move at about 1500 rps's (idle is 1 grand) yesterday it took 2-2500 to get moving.

It keeps missing gears.

Today i would go and step on the gas, when i first got it if i stepped on it it would like down shift, then upshift to get moving faster...this time i just would slowly increase speed.

It also started to shake, like slipping today when trying to change gears.

Also when going at 45 today and stepped down it missed a gear entirely. Just sat there in like a neutral at 5 grand almost redline, made a grinding noise, then shifted like 5 sec later.

its pretty messed up

its going tomorrow. Not driving it anymore, just tot he shop.

kicken250x
11-21-2004, 07:20 PM
deffinitely sounds like a tranny....good luck man... i was hoping ud say it just took a little more to get it moving and it shifted and ran fine. that would be a torque converter but its the tranny if its not shifting right

bama400ex
11-21-2004, 07:21 PM
make sure you got the right amount of fluid in there before you take it to back to the shop? i dont know about a 94 cherokee but i assume you have an overdrive? it might be the ''kickdown cable '' that hooks up with the throttle. if they get out of adjustment they can f up most overdrives real quick like. it could really be anything from clutch packs to the planetary gears. im no transmission mechanic, all i know is its alot easier to rebuild a manual. :)