PDA

View Full Version : Race Gas...

Narly R
11-20-2004, 09:21 PM
How much cooler does race gas acually make a bike run? Anybody know?

sparks400
11-20-2004, 11:43 PM
lets put it like this, before dad got a 450 kit and he wasnt running race gas ud get burnt by the head pipe, and was with engine ice, well after we did port and polishin we ran race gas we could hold the head pipe,i dont kno about now, because of the more heat build up because of the thinner cylinder walls

Narly R
11-20-2004, 11:52 PM
That sounds like a pretty big differance. I am running hot right now, but not too bad, so I was going to try staright 110 octane, I am running half 92 and half 110.

markk
11-21-2004, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by Narly R
That sounds like a pretty big differance. I am running hot right now, but not too bad, so I was going to try staright 110 octane, I am running half 92 and half 110.

A guy down my way, is running his 265r with a Citco110/belray mix and it made a pretty big diffrence for him, But he was running high compression with his PV cylinder thats why he is running straight 110! I know that my 416 burnd cooler, and felt like it pulled a little better also!

JR3
11-21-2004, 06:56 AM
i only run race gas for racing and it seems to cool the bike down a lot

jmpulse
11-21-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by sparks400
lets put it like this, before dad got a 450 kit and he wasnt running race gas ud get burnt by the head pipe, and was with engine ice, well after we did port and polishin we ran race gas we could hold the head pipe,i dont kno about now, because of the more heat build up because of the thinner cylinder walls

hold the head pipe! Something is wrong there!

wheeltrax
11-21-2004, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by jmpulse
hold the head pipe! Something is wrong there!

I can hold the headpipe on mine too and its not hot.. but then again, it wasnt running either :p

Destructo
11-21-2004, 05:20 PM
I was bout to say, mine is stock and after lightly cruising around the yard I was wearing shorts and bumped my leg on the side guard and it burnt me some, I don't see how the hell you could grab the damn head pipe, thats a little TOO cool, I don't see how thats possible unless it had been running a total of 5 seconds lol.

mojoe2878
11-21-2004, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Destructo
I was bout to say, mine is stock and after lightly cruising around the yard I was wearing shorts and bumped my leg on the side guard and it burnt me some, I don't see how the hell you could grab the damn head pipe, thats a little TOO cool, I don't see how thats possible unless it had been running a total of 5 seconds lol.
after running my 440 with a race gas mix for 5 seconds you will still get burned by the head pipe.
when i run a mix in mine the temp gauge will read in between 180 and 200 after running it hard for a while. with straight race gas the temp stays around the 180 mark.

jmpulse
11-21-2004, 07:31 PM
On the note of if race fuel makes things ride cooler, probally because the motor is unable to fully use the fuel. The higher the octane, the harder the fuel is to ignite, and the smaller the bang. But then compared to Cali fuel, and anything has more bang. I have used 110 to make up for a lean condition that I had one weekend, and it worked.

mojoe2878
11-21-2004, 07:37 PM
ive never heard of anyone using race gas to help a lean condition.
everyone i know including my self has had to go up a size on the main jet when running race gas because the race gas makes the motor run leaner than the 93 octane pump gas.

jmpulse
11-21-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by mojoe2878
ive never heard of anyone using race gas to help a lean condition.
everyone i know including my self has had to go up a size on the main jet when running race gas because the race gas makes the motor run leaner than the 93 octane pump gas.

It was just getting a little hot at the end of a full throttle run down the beach, causing a slight pinging issue, just a touch lean on the main. I didn't have spare main jets, and it was a holiday weekend. I managed to track down some Trick 110, so I gave it a try. It worked! So now you have heard of it. ;)

I have never had any jetting issue switching between race fuel, and pump gas. I have ran three different brands of race fuel, and the great Cali pump gas with no different in power. There is no way to justify the added $3 a gallon, unless your running over 11.5:1. If the thinking of race gas, must give more power, makes you happy, then go for it.

I have talked in depth about with acouple of my race engine building buddies about the immage of race gas. So if there was any true advantage, dyno proven, I would be using it almost exclusivly.

airheadedduner
11-22-2004, 10:45 AM
KC, your CRF motor will not like strait 110. Try running 50/50 with 93 pump. Or cough up $15/gal for VP ultimate 4. Elf also has a new 100 octane thumper race gas out that sells for about $45 for 5 gal can. It will run a lot cooler that way. I think its like 30-50 degrees.