PDA

View Full Version : Axle Carrier Play

MikeL250X
07-27-2001, 08:54 AM
Ok, the Quad is ALMOST DONE! I got new bearings in the carrier with new seals/o rings. With the axle locked down and everything tight (still no chain on it) there is a very very minimal amount of play, is that normal? or is it susposed to be 100% tight? I just want to make sure before I ride so I don't crack another $100 magneto cover :(

Leo
07-27-2001, 09:46 AM
when installing new bearings it's always a good idea to replace the spacer tube (goes around the axle between the bearings)..

if it's worn your new bearings won't last very long...

how much is a "minimal" amount of play?

Leo

MikeL250X
07-27-2001, 09:56 AM
hmm I didn't think that part wore out, I guess I'll hope it's ok this time, and if they go, I'll do it again :( lets hope not. If I had to venture a guess it's be like 1 /32" of play maybe? just like a tiny bit of movement side to side. you can't really even see it, you cna only feel it a little.

Stevo
07-27-2001, 10:47 AM
I don't think that will really hurt anything. I installed new axle bearings on my 400ex and there is a little bit of play and it doesn't seem to be getting worse. You should check your axle nut and make sure it's real tight.:cool:

MikeL250X
07-27-2001, 09:03 PM
Well I went for a ride today with everything bolted up, the carrier stayed in it's position (it was slipping before) and the new chain is nice and tight, and didn't jump. I think this sunday I am going for a half the day riding, I hope it's all good now cause I'm broke :rolleyes: