PDA

View Full Version : stock cam vs. hotcam stage 1

new03400
11-20-2004, 05:34 PM
from stock to just a hotcam stage 1 will the speed and power be about the same, just at a diff. rpm level, or will the hotcam stage 1 just walk all over it?

i like to be able to pull wheelies in 5th gear about wide open, will i still be able to do that with a stage 1, even though its nitouris for its "low end" power?

and i dont want to lose the top speed...

just wantin a little more,
steve

sparks400
11-20-2004, 11:19 PM
i got a stage one, u get more bottom-mid power, and top end just a lil, barely enough to notice, but thats where the 11:1 piston comes in, while ur half way there puttin in a cam just do the pistion to, cuz that will give u more top end

cals400ex
11-21-2004, 12:54 AM
you should notice a gain with that cam. it isn't really an all out bottom-end cam. it is more aggresive cam than stock. mainly it will rev higher than stock and so drag racing at high rpms you should notice it opening up a bit. on a stock bike i would actually consider it even if you don't want to mess with the piston.

markk
11-21-2004, 01:11 AM
My stage one does a great job down low, and threw my mids, But when im riding down the road, and what to yank that wheelie up at about 55-60, Its kinda a battle still, But my buddie is riding a 416 setup same as mine, besides he has a little more porting, and a stage2 and his just goes right up and keeps reving!!! Could be the motor, or not, I dont know!!!!!!!! But im think its the cam!

397ccEX
11-21-2004, 04:49 PM
Well i kinda want more power and was thinkin about a cam is their anything else needed to replace stock with an aftermarket cam ?
Do you need to rejet or adjust anything

Destructo
11-21-2004, 04:57 PM
Re-jetting would probably be a good idea, since a new cam is going to increase valve lift and duration, thus allowing more air in/out, thus requiring more fuel with that ait coming in.

wheeltrax
11-21-2004, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Destructo
Re-jetting would probably be a good idea, since a new cam is going to increase valve lift and duration, thus allowing more air in/out, thus requiring more fuel with that ait coming in.

But wouldnt it be drawing in more "carburated air" therfore rejetting it shouldnt make a difference? idk, i know what im gettin at, altho i could be wrong, but im not doin so well at explaining it. :confused:

Destructo
11-21-2004, 05:13 PM
the jet in the carburetor meters just how much fuel is being injected into that air that is being pulled into the motor, therefore if you have a larger volume of air going through the engine, either because of intake mods, exhaust mods or internal mods then you need more fuel to go with the higher volume of air, the only way to put more fuel into the air is by making adjustments to the carb which means different jets.

I haven't done any work on 400exs or changing jets on anything ATV or Dirtbike related, but I do play with carburetors on trucks and cars and all carbs are pretty much the same. I have spent almost every year since I turned 16 working on carbureted trucks and putting performance parts on them, so I know a good deal after 4 years.