PDA

View Full Version : crf 230, crf 250 need help

chris400
11-20-2004, 02:21 PM
hey just to let you know this is ny300exrider on my friends name. right now i have a modded 400ex that i was planning on racing with my friend (chris400). today we just started thinking about maybe switching over to dirtbikes. around here it seems like itd be pretty fun since it is alot of open feilds and not many quad friendly areas. i am about 5'10 140 chris is about 5'8 140. we know a kid that is about 5'7 125 and rides a modded crf250f. this would be our first time riding sometihng bigger than a crf 150 and we wondering what to look at. is a crf250r way to much to handle? when i first wanted a quad everyone told me not to get a 400ex first because its too hard to handle, well i ended up selling my 300ex in less than a year because it wasnt cutting it. we are pretty experienced with quads and ride mx alot. do you think we should start out with crf230's? they seem pretty small and not really that fast. what kind of bike should we be looking at. this isnt a definite but itd help us out alot because of the prices on bikes and id have a trx90 quad to mess around with too.

also is their any other bikes that would be good to look at. we arent just sustained to honda.

thanks alot

I-7
11-20-2004, 03:11 PM
Well if its going to be your first time riding a bike, a crf250r isn't the GREATEST choice... but by the looks of your weight and height, you would fit the bike alright... It all depends if your comfortable or not. The crf has a ton of power... more power and torque then you will feel on a 400ex so its basically up to you... You might want to look into the crf250x instead of the r if you go with that because they are more of an all terrain type of bike.. electric start and what not

ny300exrider
11-20-2004, 04:32 PM
Yea, I mean I know my limits and I know id have to ease it in the beginning. The x may be a choice as well, electric start sounds pretty nice, is the motor the same as the r or is it toned down? ill have to look around and see the prices of used ones around here. what are your specs(lol) like how tall are you and do you fit comfortably on it?

thanks for the help

also do you find bikes cheaper to keep running well and things, compared to modding out stock quads into mx ready machines. i certainly would think so because for me it is just getitng alittle out of hand, im looking to spend over 2 grand just on front end and axle on my quad.

honduh440
11-20-2004, 04:54 PM
dont get the crf230f first of all its a trail bike. a buddy of mine is 15 and bought one he raced some supercrosses and hes more pist then anything in the world that he has that bike

ny300exrider
11-20-2004, 05:14 PM
k i pretty much ruled out the 230 its definitly not for me. i dont want something i will be regretting its purchase in a few months. id rather learn on something that i can keep for awhile. i really like both the crf250rs and the 250x's i like the x's features but i also like the r's race type style

what is an estimate price range for used crf250r's and x's so i can start figuring things out. i think im actually going to be able to sell my 400 to my dad so ill be able to still ride quads:D

also what were the first years the crf's were made and were there any problems with the first year models?

DEAL
11-20-2004, 05:19 PM
I don't think alot of people understand the difference between a crf230 and crf250..
the 230 is much closer related to the xr200 then the crf250

ny300exrider
11-20-2004, 05:52 PM
yea i know the difference, i ridden with both on an mx track. the 230 is more like an xr, trail bike

the 250 is a race bike which i would rather have. i want something i can grow into and use for awhile. without wanting to sell. i think the 250 would be enough and then some :D im not reckless and i know when to be cautious so i would definitly take it easy until i get the hang of it

acold7dusta
11-20-2004, 07:35 PM
if ur doin MX then u can rule out the 230...its 100% trail bike and isnt meant to get air out of it. get the 250 if ur gonna do ne air n stuff

ny300exrider
11-20-2004, 08:12 PM
im pretty much 100% sure im going with the 250r. i just dont want to buy something and then want more in a year like i did with quads. i researched pretty much all night tonight, looked at pics, read interviews, and decided i think i could handle it in the beginning stages if i just take it easy and get all of the basics down pat before trying anytihng else. i do want to ride mx on it though so the R it is.i also like the idea of no battery and dont mind kicking it either. now to search for good prices, im thinking about maybe financing a new one, maybe a leftover or something. anyone ever had problems with financing a bike?

my plan is to sell my 400 to my dad this winter, work all winter and save as much money as possible, use most of the money i made with the quad for a down payment and then put half of all the money i worked for in the bank and half towards payments. im only 15 so it will be nice if i can pull it all off.

Destructo
11-20-2004, 08:25 PM
You have to be 18 and have some decent credit to finance anything. I'm 20 and barely have any credit and they wouldn't even approve me, so thats pretty much out unless one of your parents is willing to do it for you.

Oh yeah, and get the 250R and DON'T ride anything faster, then you won't know any better.

I used to think a 91 DR250 was fast until I bought my 400ex, now I run the crap out of the DR because it won't move like the 400ex will :p

ny300exrider
11-20-2004, 08:48 PM
well if i convince my parents to let me finance it they will do it but id pay. and about riding anything faster, it may come down to not wanting to die because after the crf comes 250 two strokes and 450s and i wouldnt touch those with a ten foot pole yet. i really do think im going to be happy with this bike though.

btw- im not some dumb kid asking how fast his 250ex goes but i never really found the crf250r's top speed while researching tonight so can anyone give me an estimate of its top straight line speed. i probly wont hit wide open for about 3 weeks after i get it but im just wondering hehe.

Destructo
11-20-2004, 08:51 PM
My friend had a KDX200 and sold a 250cc 2-stroke race bike for a guy and was riding it and never ridden anything that fast before, he flipped it because he just opened it wide open and soon as the power came on he got a little surprise.

ny300exrider
11-20-2004, 10:01 PM
that is why i will not be riding a 250 two stroke anytime soon :p i am looking forward to the challenge with the 4 stroke though

I-7
11-20-2004, 11:46 PM
Believe me, you will won't be looking for more with the bike... even 2nd gear is a rush. Around the track on really long straightaways, the highest gear that I will reach is probably 4th. Id say the top speed is anywhere between 70-80. My parents were approved for financing at our local credit union. Honda also has their own financing program that you should seriously look into. Good luck :)

I-7
11-20-2004, 11:47 PM
:cool:

ny300exrider
11-21-2004, 08:44 AM
i lovvve that bike. the thing i like most about it is, i could leave it completly stock and still have a good powerful, good handling bike. on my quad you need to put like 3 grand into it just for it to be competitive.

400exbiggun
11-21-2004, 10:12 AM
no offense, but if your comparing the 230 to the 250, then you really dont know much about one or the other bike.:rolleyes:

I own a 04 crf230f.

Why did i get that?

cause i ride more trails then track. I "said " i was going to go to the track often, but in reality, since i owned it i have yet to hit the track.:( And now that i have my lisence it just sits in the shed.
For me it was a much better decision to only pay $2800 for my brand new 04 crf230 OTD then to pay $6000 or whatever for a 250.

The 230 CAN BE raced. I went to my buddies track with it, the largest jump i hit was only a 30ft double and a 55ft table.

gyt-r450
11-21-2004, 10:33 AM
did u bottom out?

400exbiggun
11-21-2004, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by gyt-r450
did u bottom out?

i only weigh 125lbs...it didnt bottom out...it came close though, only the fronts.

ny300exrider
11-21-2004, 11:39 AM
dude i know the difference between the 250 and 230 and i wouldve changed the title but its on my firends name. i just wanted to see opinions on both and decided that i should get the bigger bike and not want a new one in a year or two. now ill be able to keep the 250 until i get too old to ride or stop.