PDA

View Full Version : engine help

Crazy400EX
11-20-2004, 12:21 PM
took my engine apart and my cam chain came off on the bottom and i cant get it back on what should i do. also i have oil leaking out of the bottom of my engine and i think its the gasket cause it hasnt been changed ever. im going to be splitting the motor apart. is there anything special i should do. anything that will help me out.

AdvantageCycle
11-20-2004, 05:27 PM
If you've never split an engine, I suggest you at least buy a service manual, or better yet have a qualified shop do the work. You will need special tools as well. Trust me, if you take it all apart, and get stuck on how to finish, the shop you take it to will generally charge more than if you'd brought the engine in whole. When ever I do and engine teardown, theres alot I am looking for and looking at, this process has to be replicated in pieces when you bring the engine in a box.

Crazy400EX
11-22-2004, 07:15 AM
all i have is the top end off cause i am putting a 416 or 426 in so should i put it back together and take it there or just take engine as it is. also what should i do about that cam chain?

MIKE400EX
11-22-2004, 08:37 AM
Take the clutch side cover off and you'll be able to get at the cam chain to get it back on the sprocket. DON'T try to turn the crank before fixing the chain.