PDA

View Full Version : Ugly piston from smoking

Rico
11-19-2004, 04:21 PM
If your quad is smoking then expect to see your piston in this shape when you pull it out...:eek2:

I just had the head off maybe 6 months ago and ithe piston didn't look bad at all. About 4 months of riding with it smoking and I don't mean smoking bad but smoking and this is what the piston looked like today when I pulled the motor apart...:scary:

Rico
11-19-2004, 04:23 PM
The head wasn't as bad but needs some cleaning.

The piston and Head will be going to GT Thunder were Laz will work his magic and have both the head and piston looking like new when it comes back...:cool: I"m trying to talk his son Brandon into dropping a new HRC cam in the box when Laz isn't lookin....:uhoh:

Rico
11-19-2004, 04:26 PM
The sleeve was in excellent shape and I could still see hone marks from the overbore 3 years ago...:cool:

Pappy
11-19-2004, 04:29 PM
rico, did you know thermal coatings are carbon shedding:devil:

Rico
11-19-2004, 04:34 PM
Send me a PM on a cost of having the piston and valves done. I might have Laz ship them to ya when he's done...:D My other box of crap will be heading your way on monday.

Pappy
11-19-2004, 04:35 PM
cost:confused: you mean you will pay me for this:eek:

Rico
11-19-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
cost:confused: you mean you will pay me for this:eek:

I always pay ya,, it's just that the dam check always gets lost in the mail....:o

tinner
11-19-2004, 06:24 PM
Looks good to me. that carbon helps keep the engine warm in the winter months. You should be safe to put it back together.:devil:

Ok, maybe not.

Rico
12-11-2004, 03:29 PM
Motor is back together but I ran out of time and still need a few small parts to get it fired up...:devil:

Here's what the piston looked like when I got it back from GT Thunder....:eek: Looks like new compared to the first pic of it..

Rico
12-11-2004, 03:30 PM
The head and valves look like new also...:eek2:

Laz can work some mean magic on motors...:D

EPDP99
12-11-2004, 04:48 PM
did he just resurface them??

beerock
12-11-2004, 05:32 PM
nice rico, now all you need is a bottle of nos;)

Aceman
12-11-2004, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by EPDP99
did he just resurface them??

They look bead blasted to me.

sampleez
12-11-2004, 10:06 PM
looks like ur bike was runnin a little a the lean side b4. it isn't a bad idea to get a bore gauge and check the sleve while its off. mine looked fine......but it was off by a few thousanths in some spots

Syrus
12-11-2004, 10:52 PM
Wow thats pretty impressive. Good job by laz, thats foresure a new looking piston, except the small burn marks that u can hardly see.

JOEX
12-12-2004, 11:23 PM
Purdy lookin' parts there:) :cool:

What did Laz do to them other than clean em up?

Rico
12-13-2004, 06:02 AM
Replaced the sleeve and rebored it, checked the valve seat and replaced the valve seals.

She's back together but I"m still waitin on a part before I can fire it up and see if it's gonna run...:scary:

sickmojave
12-13-2004, 06:24 AM
Maybe I missed something but did you just say you put a new sleave in and are going to run the old(but Cleaned) piston???:confused:

Rico
12-13-2004, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by sickmojave
Maybe I missed something but did you just say you put a new sleave in and are going to run the old(but Cleaned) piston???:confused:

Yes but all new rings on the piston. The new sleeve was also bored out to match the 87mm piston.

Laz pretty much had the entire topend of the motor to look at, measure, clean and do whatever else he needed to do. I told him if something needs replaced or whatever to do it.

Were you thinkin I was gonna run the 87mm piston in the stock bore sleeve....:eek:

sickmojave
12-13-2004, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by Rico

Were you thinkin I was gonna run the 87mm piston in the stock bore sleeve....:eek:

No I'm thinking you are running a new sleeve with an old piston. But I guess if Laz says it's ok then It's ok. just not something I would do.

Rico
12-13-2004, 06:44 AM
No I'm thinking you are running a new sleeve with an old piston. But I guess if Laz says it's ok then It's ok. just not something I would do.

why's that?? If it still meets the specs of the cylinder then it should work just fine.

sickmojave
12-13-2004, 07:15 AM
it's just hard to believe that you run a piston 3 years and wore out the sleeve and there is no wear on the piston skirt. I'm not saying I don't believe you . I'm just saying that it's a little weird. But If Laz says it's right then it's got to be right.:cool:

Flynbryan19
12-13-2004, 07:17 AM
I personally would just use the extra $50-$70 and put a new piston in just for piece of mind. It just seems kinda odd to have all those new parts in with a used piston.

But as sickmojave said, I'm sure Laz knows his stuff. ;)

Rico
12-13-2004, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Flynbryan19
I personally would just use the extra $50-$70 and put a new piston in just for piece of mind. It just seems kinda odd to have all those new parts in with a used piston.

But as sickmojave said, I'm sure Laz knows his stuff. ;)

I believe the piston runs about $130, and after talking with Laz he said it is an "old school" piston that was heavily built. Unlike newer pistons that are built to save wieght like the YFZ and TRX 450 pistons that are a little heavier than a beer can..:eek:

I trust Laz's judgement and don't think he would halfazz anything to get me or any customer by to save money. If it's jacked up he'll say it's jacked up. The piston had no wear to it at all that I could see and plan on running it for as long as possible. The XR Cam that I took out looked brand new with 3 years of wear. Might be that I believe in preventive maint, run good Oil and change it often that helps reduce wear on my motor..:cool:

Pappy
12-13-2004, 08:02 AM
Might be that I believe in preventive maint, run good Oil and change it often that helps reduce wear on my motor..:cool:

or could it be that you ride like a skirt:devil:

if laz says its ok then run it

sickmojave
12-13-2004, 08:06 AM
Might be that I believe in preventive maint and run good Oil and change it often..:cool:

But where is all the damage caused by the mobil 1 oil? you know that stuff's not good for a quad. :devil: LMAO

So why did he change the sleeve? you never did say what happen to it.

Rico
12-13-2004, 08:13 AM
But where is all the damage caused by the mobil 1 oil? you know that stuff's not good for a quad. :devil: LMAO

So why did he change the sleeve? you never did say what happen to it.

The sleeve had some wear at the top of it and was scratched. I didn't have the sleeve rebored and up the size of the piston because of the deal Laz gave me on a new sleeve..:cool:

I should have the mofo up and running this week if all goes as planned and might even take it fer a run up the street...:devil:

brokeitin3
12-13-2004, 09:45 AM
from the looks of that piston she will blow faster then your GRANNY girlfriend at the noodie bar in LOGAN!!!:eek: :eek: