PDA

View Full Version : LT80 XC/harescramble set up, what is yours?

youngstownracer
11-19-2004, 12:46 PM
Just wanting to know what the best xc setup is for a LT80, what is everyone running as far as a-arms/axle width, tire size and brand, and anything else to set it up for woods racing....thanks

Arctic Cat Dad
11-19-2004, 03:17 PM
We run XC. The main thing I like to do is get a quad to handle smooth.We only have stock shocks right now. But we are having works shocks built for XC racing. You want a soft shock for this kind of racing.As far as a arm's and wider axels. I myself don't like a wide mini for the woods. Because the trails are very narrow.We added a little width with 1" wheel spacers in the front and offset rims, Try to keep the front tires narrow with a lower profile,less tire roll and bouncing. With the narrow front tires seem to handle better in the thicker mud. Less tires push. We run 19x6x10 Holeshot MXr's tires on the front and 18x9x8 Carlisle Snowhogs on the rear.One bad thing about the lt80 is the wheel width and tire hight. You could get by with 2" or 3" plus a-arms because they are so narrow. You will need to get a lower profile tire and a much wider tire for the rear.Getting the gear ratio and the cvt transmission to work together. We use a Malossi clutch kit with the Hetrick clutch mods, This really made this mini rip.Plus we run the Hetrick pipe. A good pipe with clutch mods are a must. They really work together. Hope this helps a little.

#838 01 Polini x3w-Michaels
#838 01 Husqvarna cr50jr-Michaels
#838 Arctic Cat 70-Michaels-70 Airsal kit,Hetrick power up kit C,Malossi reeds-cdi-clutch kit,Acerbis handguards,ProDesign killswitch,Rebel Gears,19' Holeshots on Douglas Alum.wheels on front.18' Snowhogs on Douglas Alum. wheels,premix fuel, and more and more to come!
04 Suzuki DRZ 125L-sons
02 Yamaha Big bear 400 4x4-mine

2004 PKM Promotions XC Champion (4-6) 50cc quad
Michael Mussi Jr #838
atva member

"Don't ride faster than your Angel can fly"

Mxjunkie
11-19-2004, 07:55 PM
i ran maxxis front pros up front 20in, titan turf tamers in the rear-18-9.5-8, then a james lucky front end kit extending each side +3, then i think they were 1.5 or 2 inch durablue spacers in the rear each side, then made a custom airbox and modded the motor etc, id deff invest into making a skidplate for it :macho

fastmini
11-22-2004, 06:56 PM
we have been racing mini quads for 8 years and 7 of them were on a lt80. its a good solid quad but if your serious about racing mini quads consider sell it and buy a hetrick preped kasea. those things rip! also you dont have to worry about breaking an engine case and can get good suspension for your needs. talk to rich hetrick, he can help you with anything.

LT80
11-24-2004, 08:28 AM
Durablue axel and ATV Racing +3 a-arms will widen it out.
Use stock front tires. Find a 18" thin tire for the back. Wide tires are no good.
As far as breakage, They all break!
Get a motor/clutch kit from a reputable builder.A pipe alone is a waste of $$.
Preaching to the rider to ride smoothly is the key.
Hope that may have helped. :)

Pappy
11-24-2004, 08:31 AM
i agree a well prepped kasea is the top ticket, but i still argue that the 2 strokes unless really really prepped can be beaten by a honda 90. ive seen it...heck weve done it.

the airbox is the killer on the 2 smokes. if you spend the cash and get hetricks airbox set up it will really help out a ton.

as far as the LT80...its not a bad quad but there are better and cheaper quads that can be made so much better for less. chose wisely

LT80
11-24-2004, 10:29 AM
I agree that the suspension under current options would be better on a kasea/etc.
As far as made better for less, I don't agree at all, but that's another long thread. :) :ermm:
I also agree with the Honda statement. A Honda would be my choice of weapons at a GNCC! :)

fastmini
11-24-2004, 02:59 PM
i agree also about the honda being a really good quad. but my kid won his class at the iron man on a kasea 2 stroke. it just takes a deep wallet too make them run good and like what the lt80 member said a smooth rider. u can win on anything as long as the rider can use it.