PDA

View Full Version : Accessorizing the 400ex for the

04-18-2002, 07:56 AM
I bought a 400ex about a year and half ago. I am extremely happy with it. EVERYTHING IS STOCK on it. I live in Virginia where I mostly trail ride in the woods. Most of the time trail riding is spent searching for jumps. Once in a blue moon I like to go to a track and abuse my body.

Anyway, here is my problem...

I want to do some customizing. Unfortunately, I don't know what I should do to it. Everytime I think about doing something to it, I realize that it may not be a smart idea, because (blah, blah, blah).

For instance...

Exhaust- I want to put a new exhaust system or muffler on it, for more mid to top end, to beat my friends Raptor ;-) Well, then I start thinking that I ride in places where a spark arrestor is needed AND I don't want to be too obnoxious with the noise.

Nerf Bars- Want them for safety, but don't want them to get caught up on trees or branches in the woods. (I don't really know if this happens, just a thought.)

Handlebars- I want some new bars that allow me to stand up a bit easier and don't have as much of a sweep. I am afraid if I buy the Renthal ATV bars, they will really be the same feel as the stock bars on it right now. aka waste of money.

Do you see where I am going with this??? I don't ride motocross, even though I love the way the motocross ATV's look and ride.

Anyway...please, if anyone has suggestions on some trial riding upgrades, please let me know.

THANK YOU!

04-18-2002, 08:46 AM
Well a pipe will not let you run with a rapturd,,not even close,,but almost all aftermarket exhaust come with spark arrestors,,unless you buy an engine builders race pipe,,which I don't think you need,,get a FMF powercore Q,,also get a K&N power up kit,,this will really wake up your 400.

Nerfs will help a bunch,,,they won't get caught on stumps, etc..at least mine haven't out of 2 years with them..yes it's possible,,but it's also possible for a stick to knock your gas line loose while riding,,follow me here.

last but not least,,get some aftermarket handlebars and chitcan the stockers,,,aftermarkets will take alot of vibration away and help with arm fatigue,,good bars are worth the money,,don't buy $25 dollar one's either,,get FMF 909, tag metals, renthals, etc.

harebounder
04-18-2002, 08:59 AM
Don't get a atv bend bar I got one and you will lose two inches of width. You'll need that width if you decide to put a kill switch on stuff like that. Most popular i have seen is cr high bend.

04-18-2002, 09:12 AM
I've got a FMF 909 ATV bend and I've got a ton of crap mounted on them,,kill switch, acerbis hand guards, wide handlebars on a quad can be very uncomfortable to some people,,I had CR bend bars before and I felt like my arms were straight out to the sides and it was hard to make sharp turns with the hammer down...Oh and the biggest thing was it set in arm pump alot quicker.

harebounder
04-19-2002, 02:15 PM
Well Rico didn't mean to dis all handle bar makers i should have been more specific I had a set of O'neal pro lock atv bend and they lost two inches from stock width. I took those off and put a set of T2 cr high bends. If someone wants those o'neal i will sell them for twenty dollars they have have brand new renthal medium grips the bar are aluminum.

MadcapEX
04-19-2002, 07:18 PM
Hey Rico, funny you mention a stick knocking your gas line off. Would you believe I had a stick push my choke lever to full choke and shut the motor off while climbing a little cliff straight up with another quad glued to my grab bar, not good. The same day,a stick jammed my rear brakes on at about 40 miles an hour. Dam near kissed the bars on that one.:eek:

04-23-2002, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by MadcapEX
Hey Rico, funny you mention a stick knocking your gas line off. Would you believe I had a stick push my choke lever to full choke and shut the motor off while climbing a little cliff straight up with another quad glued to my grab bar, not good. The same day,a stick jammed my rear brakes on at about 40 miles an hour. Dam near kissed the bars on that one.:eek:

I had a friend on a sportsman 400 and a stick broke his gas petcock off the bottom of the gas tank,,don't ask me how,,he had to drive back into town 1 hour away to get the part then we had to fix the dang thing in the dark about 3 hours later,,way back in the woods..

Sparkles
05-01-2002, 12:52 PM
i think i baked into to something must have been a while ago, but it took the boot off the drive shatf on my 350, and it bent up the round clamp, im not sure if theres anything wrong, but more than likely:(

Sparkles
05-01-2002, 12:53 PM
backed*