PDA

View Full Version : Por 15

ny300exrider
11-18-2004, 08:49 PM
Back about allittle more than a year ago when i first got a 300ex, i remeber people using por 15 truck paint to paint their frames. I know many people said it was strong stuff and was up there with the strength of powdercoat but only came in black. Well next winter i want to do my frame black and just recently remembered about por 15. To anyone who has done their frame in it or knows about it, about how much of this stuff would it take to do the frame correctly? Is it sold in gallon cans or what? What is an estimate price of all the paint to do a 400ex frame and is it a hard process or pretty much just brush it on? if anyone has done this, how has it held up for you. itd also be great to see some pics of anything painted with this stuff...thanks

also should this paint be able to be found in autobody shops or is it something hard to find

Thanks sorry for all the questions

motoboy66
11-18-2004, 09:21 PM
i love this stuff. I haven't done a frame yet, but have done pegs, a-arms, and wheels with it. It is good stuff, just follow the the instructions. I think people were able to do the fram wih one of the starter kits they sell. If no get 2 to be safe. It does say you have top coat it, but I haven't and have had notrouble. Here is the link, http://www.prp-porshop.com/ .

I just use a foam brush, but be carefull when you do it, I have some onmy jeans now and it will nt come off.

motoboy66
11-18-2004, 09:25 PM
looks lie they now sell a pray gun to put it on. Sorry about the spelling, I am on a new laptop and still egtting used to the keyboard.

ny300exrider
11-19-2004, 04:18 AM
awsome man thanks a ton!! i may actually look into getting this done. im going to see if any local autobody shops carry it and how much they would charge to paint if if i supplied the por. if its expensive ill do it myself and make it a little project. the spray gun looks like itd help alot too.

once again, thanks for all the help

edit: WOW this stuff is cheap and after reading alot of info about it, seems like its really good stuff. this is definitly going to be an option.

Rootar
11-19-2004, 07:55 AM
would it hold up on stock aarms since you cant powder coat the stockers

motoboy66
11-19-2004, 02:11 PM
Thats what i put it on, and it is still there after 2 years of riding. The only place it has worn off so far is on the foot pegs i did, right where your boot sits n them, but hey even the mettal wears away here. The only thing you have to do is make sure you do all the prep work. As with any paint, the finish is in the prep work, the longer you spend here, the better the final finish.

ny300exrider
11-19-2004, 08:11 PM
Is this the kit you were talking about? Do you think id be able to do a full 400ex frame with 2 of these kits?It comes with the degreaser, the primer type stuff, and the por along with some brushes and gloves. http://www.prp-porshop.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SSK&Category_Code=POR15all i would only need to buy the topcoat after this right?

im almost positive im gonna try this stuff out, this winter im actually pretty darn excited

fasterz
11-20-2004, 08:56 AM
i did my frame with it, cost me like 20 bucks for everything i needed. yes all they have is black or atleast when i did mine. i sandblasted the whole frame then applied like 3 coats. do more than 3 coats i was in a rush cuz i had a race the same week i was doing it. just apply it with a paint brush. and then let it sit to dry in the perfect atmosphere that it describes for like 3 days. i raced all season on it, motocross, it held up great for the 20 bucks it cost. the damage is: no paint left wat so ever on the bottom of the frame, some like chucks of it came off like 1x1 sq inches just came off from the powerwasher i guess. theres not any paint left where the boots rub. yea its worth the 20 dollars but its also worth the 150$ to get it done right and powder coat it. its getting torn down after todays race to get powder coated and gone over with the welder for next season.

ny300exrider
11-20-2004, 09:25 AM
thanks for the info. i think i will go por this year because i still need to buy a front end and axle by the end of this winter, then next winter when my quad is good, i will pc it

hondarider2006
11-20-2004, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Rootar
would it hold up on stock aarms since you cant powder coat the stockers

why couldn't you powder coat stock a-arms?? Just sandblast them, and get them powder coated:huh

Rootar
11-21-2004, 07:19 PM
pappy said you can take the boot off rgiht but there is a derlin cup under the ball joint that you cant remove and after it is baked from the pc'ing the cup becomes brittle and could fail cause the ball joint to seize (i beileve this is rite)