PDA

View Full Version : Can some explain how a master cylinder works? In detail?

gate_keeper_32
11-18-2004, 07:56 PM
I took my master cylinder off of my Z to paint it because it was starting to corrode. After installing it back on the quad, I cant seem to get it adjusted right.

Here are the components from the top to the bottom"

Master cylinder

top nut

2"-3" shaft

middle nut

bracket the pedal attatches to

bottom nut.

Now I *think* the bottom 2 nuts, one on either side of the bracket that hooks to the pedal, are for adjusting the pedal level...right? The top nut I think is for adjusting the "play" in the plunger before it accually "works" the brakes.

The problem is that when all of the nutes are loose, the shaft itself spins freely, it this supposed to happen? Should the top nut be tight up against the boot on the master cylinder?

It must be confusing for you guys to understand what I am trying to say here but give it a try and see if you can figure out what I mean. I was hoping that one of you guys has gone through the same thing that I am and that it can be easily explained. Thanks very much.

Eddie

4TraxRider
11-19-2004, 05:54 AM
When i get back from school tonight I'll look at my Z and see if I can help you out.

fasterz
11-20-2004, 08:43 AM
you want to install it all with out the little pin through the brake pedal then spin the shaft until its at the right length for where you want the brake pedal to sit. it sounds confusing but its like super duper easy. most likly you should rebuild your master cylinder now, they dont last very long. i just go over to ECA and give them mine and they give me a rebuilt one for 20 bucks. check the play in yours before reinstalling it becuase most likely its giving you truoble going on because it needs to be rebuilt. does the shaft like wobble or does it stick straight out and not move? if it wobbles at all, rebuild it

gate_keeper_32
11-20-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by fasterz
you want to install it all with out the little pin through the brake pedal then spin the shaft until its at the right length for where you want the brake pedal to sit. it sounds confusing but its like super duper easy. most likly you should rebuild your master cylinder now, they dont last very long. i just go over to ECA and give them mine and they give me a rebuilt one for 20 bucks. check the play in yours before reinstalling it becuase most likely its giving you truoble going on because it needs to be rebuilt. does the shaft like wobble or does it stick straight out and not move? if it wobbles at all, rebuild it

Thanks for the info bud. I finally figured out the combination to it. The only reason I took it off was to paint it, there wasnt anything wrong with it. The quad only has about 10 hours ride time on it and the shaft is pretty sturdy. I was wondering just what the function of the upper nut was that has the rubber boot on it and if it needs to be tight. I ended up figuring it out. Also, I then realized that I needed to keep the pin out like you said until the last step, and THEN install it. It is a simple task, but for the simple minded, it had me confused for about an hour.:huh

Anyhow, thanks for the tip on a rebuild, its good to know that it is that cheap.

Eddie