PDA

View Full Version : 18 vs 20

hondalover
11-18-2004, 04:06 PM
OK i was looking into 18inch tires ive never had a set or been on a bike with them before i am going to ride a lot more tracks this year coming up and all my trails are on a friends farm and are not rocky will the 18 inch wheell and tires help a lot for this? I mean no ditches very few rocks which we usually throw off the trail, so i dont think ground clearance is a issue, just wanted opinions Thanks

drifterx
11-18-2004, 04:17 PM
Well, if your racing, i'd say go with the 18's, if the trails you ride aren't rocky, or rutted. But if you're just riding for fun or practice at the track, i'd go with the 20's, so that way you wouldn't have to worry about ground clearance, and still have a descent tire for the track. Just my $.02 ;)

maskale
11-18-2004, 08:36 PM
I have razr mx 18" and I like them, ground clearance is smaller, but you don't have to worry about that really on a track. Plus the smaller tires will give you more bottom end power, and I like that for the track, cause you most likely will not use all of your gears on a track anyway.

nemesis
11-19-2004, 01:27 PM
I'll sell you my 18" shreaders on douglas .190. I am a lot faster with the 18" but you should get the front tires shorter too. If not your quad will sit lower in the back.

Toadz400
11-20-2004, 11:25 AM
I'd go with the 18's, I have them on a pair of HiPers and they give you better low end. I even had to switch from my 14t sprocket to a 15 because of how low of gearing I had. I would also get smaller front tires, mine looks weird and it'll handle better with 20's up front.

sparks400
11-20-2004, 11:03 PM
acuttly now that i think of this, if ur quad is sittin lower in the back, on the gate wen u pop the clutch ur front end wont come up as much, cuz ur lowerin the rear 2in. not sure i havent had 18's i ride to many trails and do alota fast trail riding to have 18's.

p.s if im wrong please correct

Toadz400
11-20-2004, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by sparks400
acuttly now that i think of this, if ur quad is sittin lower in the back, on the gate wen u pop the clutch ur front end wont come up as much, cuz ur lowerin the rear 2in. not sure i havent had 18's i ride to many trails and do alota fast trail riding to have 18's.

p.s if im wrong please correct

Actually your front end will pop up easier with the rear end sitting down lower, it's if the front end is sitting down lower it will be harder to pop up (and it'd be even harder to pop up if the rear tires were larger).

That's probably the reason why MXer's use 20" front tires, along with the fact that it increases handling.

hardkoratvmxr
11-21-2004, 05:41 PM
i run 18s for motorcross when it is dry and loamy and everything but sandy and really wet 18s have less tire roll that is why pros are using them and i use 20s for more ground cleance and better traction in sandy and wet racing conditions my 2 cents