PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust temp. gauge

hondarider2006
11-18-2004, 02:06 PM
I was wondering if it was possible to install an exhaust temp. gauge on my 426. Friend of mine has one on his sled, and I was thinking about installing one on the quad. Anyone one done this before, or know how to do it?? What all would I need to install one??

dunedragger
11-18-2004, 09:23 PM
Sounds like fun, I have never tried it before. I did buy whats called a Heatseeker. It is a built in temp. guage that takes the place of your oil dipstick. As far as the exhaust temp, drill a hole, weld in a nut, screw in the temp guage, connect it to a power supply and watch it heat up.

speedy400
11-18-2004, 09:33 PM
I will be also doing the same soon, all you need to do is mount the gauge, drill a small hole in your header like 6 in from the head for your heat probe, then weld a nut for the probe to screw into, worst case- you just grind off the nut and weld up the hole.-darren

hondarider2006
11-18-2004, 10:25 PM
Will it matter which header I dill and put the temp sensor in?? Also will this restrict flow much, or should I be good??

balls2da-wall
11-19-2004, 07:10 AM
You should be good...my buddies that drag race turbo DSM's have EGT gauges in there headers...but of course they are more worried about monitoring their 25,000$ engines than a few horse power...if it does restrict flow it will be so small you wont notice.

-or I could be totally wrong since a cars headers are much larger than a 400ex:D ...you should be safe

hondarider2006
11-19-2004, 11:35 AM
So does anyone have any pictures of this being done, or will mine be the first??

fmf400ex03
11-19-2004, 04:02 PM
any 1 know what stock exhaust temp is at regular running tempeture

speedy400
11-19-2004, 07:20 PM
I'll see if I can get a pic of my dad's snowmobile setup he just got finished with this evening, I'm not sure what the normal idle temp is but on top end, for extended period of time you want to be about 1,200-maybe 1,250 the piston will melt at 1,350 I believe....obviously you dont want to be running that many degrees at midrange or idle, it should be a nice curve, and increase in temp as you rev faster. BTW the temps I took were from 2-stroke(snowmobile) motors, I am darn near positive you want the same for a 4-stroke though. You want the probe to be 1/2 way into the exhaust tube, it dosnt matter which side, it shouldnt make much of any diffrence in power you shouldnt notice any loss, and if you do you will most likly gain that back by knowing what jetting you should be running. Sorry for such a long message.;) -darren

hondarider2006
11-20-2004, 12:07 AM
Sounds good. I think next pay check I am going to invest in one, and see how it works out. I would like to know what the ol beast runs at during the winter, and if there is much of a difference from summer.