PDA

View Full Version : Replacing the exhaust packing

VegasEx'r
04-17-2002, 11:18 PM
The packing in my Big Gun silencer (w/ Race core, if that matters) has worn out. I can buy replacement packing directly from Big Gun, but is there somewhere else I can get the stuff? Is it really even that important, or does it just keep the noise down? Any help will be appreciated.

JustRace
04-17-2002, 11:26 PM
On the big gun I just sold to Tlongs, I just repacked it with moose packing. I bought it from the local dealership for like 7 or 8 bucks. I never put it back on before I sold it so i don't know how it performed after or sounded.

gojk
04-17-2002, 11:40 PM
I think the paking makes it a little quieter but it also can get burned out so that you loose a lot of power because the exhaust can't flow as well. The only time I have seen the packing get burnt out is on my friends FMF PQ IV. That pipe was really loud without it and it made quite a bit of differnence once repacked.

MIKE400EX
04-18-2002, 07:19 AM
Mostly just a noise thing. You will gain (re-gain) a little top end the tighter you pack the can. I just re-packed my BigGun, all the material was in the last third. It's a good bit quieter now.