PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Spacers

honda_400ex19
04-17-2002, 10:27 PM
I WAS JUST WONDERING WHAT THE ADVANTAGES OR DIS ADVANTAGES TO USING WHEEL SPACERS ARE???

THE REASON WHY I ASKED IS A BUDDY OF MINE HAS A PAIR JUST LAYING AROUND AND I WAS WONDERING IF IT WAS WORTH DRIVING 2HRS TO TAKE THEM OFF HIS HANDS.

VegasEx'r
04-17-2002, 10:34 PM
The advantage is better cornering & more stability in the corners (You know how Pontiac says "wider is better"?). The disadvantage is that if you jump high or a lot, it is easy to bend your lugs.

04-18-2002, 06:46 AM
In my experience with them they do add a lot more stability, but the dura-blues are just too much for a bike that is used for riding trails. The fronts are not bad 1.5", but the rears 2.5" were to wide for my taste. When trying to fit between trees and jumping it made the stock suspension seem really spongy. I recently found the 1" moose wheel spacers. They are just like an extended wheel stud but no plate. But still even with these, it will be easy to bend a wheel stud. But the 1" is enough to make a huge difference in cornering. Also it seems there is not near as much stress on the rear axle.

Red Rooster
04-18-2002, 09:50 AM
The rear axel berrings will also ware out a little faster.

04-18-2002, 01:11 PM
they are worth it. I have not bent mine yet and my rear tire was damaged and i bent a rim and a axle when another bike hit me and they are still straight

400ex99
04-19-2002, 01:41 AM
i ride in open fields mostly, making power slides around the corners, if i was to buy one set at a time, should i put them on the front or back first to help me turn faster?

DEAL
04-19-2002, 07:57 PM
Needspeed , most of the fear people have when using wheel spacers is bending the axle , not bending the spacer itself.

Lorduss
04-19-2002, 11:25 PM
Put your spacers in the front, The front of your avrage quad, especially the 400 is allways skinnyer than the back, i think 3 inches more on each side would make it even with the back, so i say put it on the back, because your not going to take much advantage of it putting it on the allready wide back, think of it this way, you fly into a corner, the first half of the corner, your maxx speed/center of gravity before flipping is dependant on your front end, the last half is dependant on your rear, do you usually get more tipsy in the first half or last half of the corner? because it might depend on your riding style, but i say put em in front. make your spacing even,

come to think ill go mesure. 41 and 1 half inches in front wide on my stock 400, 45 and a half for the rear, 2 inches per arm in front to make it even, but i woudlnt advise putting that big of a spacer in there, maby some offset rims if you got the money for aftermarket and your determined for a wider front end, but rember the distance the main part of your tire is from the pivot point for turning, the greater this distance is t he more the handlebars gonna get jerked for every rock you hit, longer arms make the bike easyer to control when going wider, its the other way around if you just extend the tire out from the stock position. get what i mean ?