PDA

View Full Version : computer question

SRH
11-17-2004, 09:16 PM
my mom got a virus on her computer and its so slow it will barely move, she has windows me , on my computer i press f 10 when it turns on and i can do system restore or whatever you call it, it gets rid of everything and brings it back to stock, can you do that with windows me, i tried but it didnt seem to work

smallearssuck
11-17-2004, 09:24 PM
boot it up in safe mode and chose from there :)

ZRider400
11-17-2004, 09:24 PM
id just find and delete the virus (using norton) then buy the upgrade for XP.

SRH
11-17-2004, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by ZRider400
id just find and delete the virus (using norton) then buy the upgrade for XP.

i did, it didnt help, this windows xp not norton and i wanna do basically what i do with xp if its possible just restore it to how it was when it came out of the box

SixthFloorFreak
11-17-2004, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by SRH
she has windows me

there's the problem right there, lol

zephead400ex
11-18-2004, 10:00 AM
First thing, don't upgrade from Windows ME to XP, drivers are not 'upgraded' correctly therefore giving you more problems. Windows ME is a big peice of trash!

2nd thing, Norton is a peice of trash too! Don't pay for an antivirus program, especially Norton. Either download AVG from www.grisoft.com or download Avast from www.avast.com. Both programs are completely free and work very well.

Ok, you have a virus. Yes, it may run slow, but can you get online at all? If so, visit vil.nai.com/vil/stinger. Download the stinger tool (small download) and scan with that tool.

red2004 TRX450R
11-18-2004, 01:35 PM
BOOT UP in safe mode
go to http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ and run the free antivirus. It does it over the net so Highspeed connectoin is recomended but not a must!!

then install "Ad-Aware SE Personal" and update it and run it!! irts free u can get it at download.com

all so make sure u do the windows updates.

might want to run clean disk all so.
and defrag

SRH
11-18-2004, 05:05 PM
she has a trojan horse norton usually takes care of all my viruses and stuff its good...anyhow i wanna know how or if i can do system restore like i can on windows xp...

remlapr
11-18-2004, 05:11 PM
Just get out the ME CD and boot it up and re-install and it will ask if you want to format the drive you are installing to, say yes. Just make sure you have the driver CD that came with the PC, if not - you can get them off the net, just harder to track down sometimes. Or if your lucky, some PC's come with a restore CD instead of just an actual OS CD and once you reload from it it's like back to when you pulled it out of the box without you having to install any other drivers or anything...

Destructo
11-18-2004, 05:48 PM
If its one of dem off the shelf pcs they normally come with a restore disk for that purpose.

I build all my own pcs, and yes i'm a geek :D