PDA

View Full Version : Tell me all/any problems that the yfz450 has/had

Out_Sider
11-17-2004, 04:41 PM
i am doin this because im tryin to decide which quad would be better for me the yfz or 450r, and none of this info i will use to diss either quad, i just want to know what problems i can overcome more, so please tell me all the things that have gone wrong with your machine, thank you.

Bush0102
11-17-2004, 05:27 PM
i think they had some problems on the 04 models with the stator...thats all i've heard

SRH
11-17-2004, 08:48 PM
i havent had any problems with mine, knock on wood!

KEN1
11-17-2004, 08:52 PM
Decomp plug popping out

waterpump seal leaks

battery charging problem

These are a couple of problems people have had with the "04's".Supposedly they were fixed on the "05's".

I own an 05 and so far so good.:D

CTmxyfz
11-18-2004, 05:39 AM
05s have no more plug, it is welded up. Early 04s had battery problems and stator problems. I had some battery problems but thats about it. Just actually got the motor rebuilt because the nikasil coating on my cylinder was gone. DOH. that was back in august. Threw a 13:1 LRD piston with their coating on the piston and she ran like a raped ape. Def. get a yfz, we had a sorta say, "shootout" at my local track. These guys pulled up with a 2 day old yfz and R. I took the liberty of putting them through their paces and actually riding them harder than the owners.:devil: :devil: I noticed that the 450R has less bottom end than the Yfz. They say you drop a tooth down in the front and crap, but you shouldn't have to do that when you buy the bike.... IT should have plenty of bottom off the dealer floor, in which it doesn't IMO. My bike, and the other 2 bikes had stock gearing but my bike has 18 inch razrs and the other 2 had the stock tires. I rode the bikes hard and noticed that i couldn't clear the biggest table at the track with either of the stock bikes. I hit the jump in 3rd on both stock bikes. Couldn't make it. Then a kid shows up with a stock yfz besides nerfs, kill switch and baffle out of the pipe. I was able to clear the same jump in 3rd with his bike. The baffle out on the yfz really does help. Before i got my pipe, i had the stock pipe with the baffle out and spark arrestor drilled out. I took my bike back out and im able to clear that table in 4th gear. Although my bike has walsh a arms, rpm axle, 18/20 tires, HMF BB carbon system, cam mod, and this was before the 13:1 piston. I'd say get the yfz no doubt.

CTmxyfz
11-18-2004, 05:47 AM
the reason i had to rebuild the top end was because i bought the bike in july of 03. a year and a half on the motor of riding every weekend and sometimes both saturday and sunday really takes it toll on the motor. Thats why you get a practice bike too.:D

Kennethyfz450
11-18-2004, 06:32 PM
waterpump leak is all i have experienced but it dont do it when its warm outside.. just when its cold..

Quad18star
11-18-2004, 06:47 PM
The Battery/stator problem .... the cracked swingarm when raced and jumped .... leaky water pump gasket .... the decomp plug blowing out on the '04s ..... connecting rod bearing letting go after hard riding and racing .

Narly R
11-18-2004, 07:34 PM
If you manage to break the seat latch you have to get a hole new seat pan.... but I fixed ous with out having to do that... But I didnt really like that set up, but it did save weight the way they did it.

Quad18star
11-18-2004, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Narly R
If you manage to break the seat latch you have to get a hole new seat pan.... but I fixed ous with out having to do that... But I didnt really like that set up, but it did save weight the way they did it.

I guess im not the only one that thought this was the dumbest seat latch design ever invented .

The other day I was looking at it , and there are 2 "posts" i guess to keep the seat in place ... I wonder if there is a way to make those longer and use pins to hold it in place ?

Out_Sider
11-20-2004, 01:38 PM
so would ya'll choose this quad over the 450r? this will be strickly a MX quad, so the stock swingarm wont even see a jump, it will be replaced

JR3
11-20-2004, 05:52 PM
at englishtown at the quad race i came round the turn and my friend was off to the side and saw him banging his seat back on some how his seat fell off durin the race and he needs a new water pump shaft and gasket and has had stator problems

spanky101
11-20-2004, 07:02 PM
people say that the yfz is better on the mx track and by the looks ya it is but the trx is killer fast in the woods !

Out_Sider
11-21-2004, 11:33 AM
well, thats the thing im not gonna be doing anything with it besides practicing and racing mx. it will not touch trails, that will be what my 300ex will be for. because right now the 300ex is my mx machine, but once i get old enuff to move up, im getting a 450.

Toadz400
11-21-2004, 05:55 PM
If you are going to be racing MX, get the YFZ. It's definately made for it out of the box.

SRH
11-21-2004, 08:45 PM
all i do is race and ride mx ,, its perfect!

yfzracer220
11-22-2004, 03:46 PM
There is no comparison here, Yfz all the way. I've been hammering mine for an entire season of mx and practice with very little problems. I cracked a swingarm, didn't have enough money for an aftermarket one so I got one off Ebay for 125$ with carrier. Also blew a countershaft seal no big deal like 7$ fix. Also bent a stock tie rod before I put my Walsh setup on. I've had no stator problems or decompression plug problems, knock on wood. I'm still on my stock chain and sprockets, front wheel bearings, front brake pads, clutch. You absoluetly cannot go wrong with the Yfz.

Rrider4life8
11-23-2004, 09:02 PM
hey out sider ...... Youve come to our races and see what dominates. YFZ all the way across the board. Havent seen you in a while man, where ya been? Well i hope to see you at the races, Ill be on a orange YFZ with a black CF hood now.

andrew #16

Narly R
11-23-2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
I guess im not the only one that thought this was the dumbest seat latch design ever invented .

The other day I was looking at it , and there are 2 "posts" i guess to keep the seat in place ... I wonder if there is a way to make those longer and use pins to hold it in place ?

Yea, thats what I am going to do. Drill 2 hole sin those "posts" and put pins in them. Should work fine. I dont like the way they did it.

4TraxRider
11-24-2004, 12:39 PM
MX=YFZ
XC=TRX

Narly R
11-24-2004, 09:21 PM
I dont see how they could be that much differnt. I mean I ride the same on trails as mx kinda, and the yfz flys threw them....:ermm:

Warnerade
11-25-2004, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Narly R
I dont see how they could be that much differnt. I mean I ride the same on trails as mx kinda, and the yfz flys threw them....:ermm: ditto, i realy dont see that big of a difference with them either...

both have the same amount of problems, every quad does when its first released. you will be happy with either choice.

SRH
11-25-2004, 09:46 AM
i love the look ofthe honda and how it looks on the track i just dont want one lol

LostCause439
11-26-2004, 08:13 PM
I have an 04 i bought in Feb. , Ride it hard at the track every weekend, havent had any problems since ( i changed the decomp plug a couple months ago but the old one never popped out)