PDA

View Full Version : Having starting problems Help!!!!

red400ryder
11-17-2004, 03:59 PM
ok my motor was running fine and i tore it down to the motor and then took off the valve cover and noticed that one of the bolts on the side of it was real loose and almost out..i tighten it up and put another gasket on and put it back together..but now my bike won't start..it just turns over and i have spark have gas pretty much everything is right nothing has really changed..but for some reason i have gas pouring into my airbox when i am tryin to crank the bike...what is the problem wit that and is that causing my motor not to run..oh yea the motor was spitting flames out the exhaust a few times...i have no clue why it don;t run now but i sure would like some advice please thanks mike

JRDrider22
11-17-2004, 04:08 PM
did you touch the timing chain?

red400ryder
11-17-2004, 04:56 PM
no the timing was not even touched..the bike was running fine and now its acting like it doesn't won't to start..i wish i knew cause i am ready to ride again!!

red400ryder
11-17-2004, 05:30 PM
could the valves being too tight be the problem..i read this in another post that if they are too tight that the motor won't start..somebody give me some feedback on this? thanks mike

MadMax27
11-17-2004, 05:50 PM
Gas into the airbox...... flames....... spark but wont run...... My guess, you should have left that bolt alone......But really, sounds like yer timing is advanced all to hell. Maybe a stuck exhaust valve. Not 100% though.

mojoe2878
11-17-2004, 06:21 PM
you need to remove the 4 plugs in the rocker cover and check the valve clearances, they can get out of spec when you remove the cover and then put it back on.
also if you tightened the valve cover back down on there with the cam lobes facing upwards, then there is the possibility that you have broken a rocker arm from the uneven tension being put on them while tightening the cover on with the cam lobes facing upwards. you will be able to tell if one is broken when you remove the plugs.

red400ryder
11-19-2004, 08:28 PM
well found out the problem..turned out my valves were the problem...the clearance was too tight so i loosed them up and the motor has come back to life...its time to go ride....later mike

Scott-300ex
11-19-2004, 08:35 PM
yeah, right when i read it i thought valves are to tight..........