PDA

View Full Version : 450 stalls out while under load

nonerunin450
11-17-2004, 03:14 PM
i have a 450r and a 400ex when i first got the 450 it did not seem to have any low end torque at all would not clime a hill at all would just stall out put a new plug in and took to honda shop and they say it is fine but i would rather ride my 400 if anyone has any idea of what is wrong let me know

kamikaze_rzrbak
11-17-2004, 04:10 PM
droop one tooth down on your front sprocket

Silverfox@C&DRacing
11-17-2004, 04:12 PM
yep drop a tooth on the sprocket, the other thing that will help that bike is an exhaust

aroracer72
11-17-2004, 04:35 PM
have you done any mods to it???....airbox lid off????...take exhaust core out???....if so i hope you rejetted it. Also it should have NO problem climbing hills....a stock 450 is faster then everything else then a yfz...and should be able to do anything your skill level can throw at it. I have/had a stock 450 and it had no problem and didnt bog down and die.

tell me/check the following things:

1) did you take lid off/un-baffle your stock pipe???
2) did you rejet if you did these mods or any other mods???
3) do you clean the air filter often/at all???
4) does it smoke alot when first started or when riding???
5) what elevation/area are you riding in/what temparatures????
6) do you short shift and try to lug too high of a gear???

answer these questions for me so i can help you out with your problem....dealers are usually no real help so thats why people like me and otehrs are here.....we've experienced these problems first hand. But i KNOW FOR A FACT that you dont have to add a tooth to make it stop dying..it may help...but this problem is deeper than that. Im assuming its jetting/air flow problem. Just answer the questions man and ill get yah back and running again.
:)
CHAD

nonerunin450
11-18-2004, 07:28 AM
i have not done anything to it at all put a steering stem in it and bars have a duncan fat boy 4 order be here today

it will not clime a hill in first gear i thought it was just me but others with 450s have road it and dont think it is right either

what jetting whould i put in it when i get the pipe

i ride around charllote nc
thanks alot chad

aroracer72
11-18-2004, 08:57 AM
im not shur....im running stock gearing on my 450 and it has a slip on. It pulls good and i can lug it a gear high and it will rev out. Once you get the pipe...make shure you jet it to their specs..and if they give yah none...come back on here and tell me and tell you a jet to run. As far as gearing...if you ride tight trails.....add a tooth to the rear...or take one away from the front(rear is least drastic and the front changes the most). But first Install your pipe....jet it.....and i suggest remove air box lid......and drive it and see what its like. Since its colder out your gonna wanna run a one size or maybe two larger main je then the recommended jet that will probably come with the pipe. In the summer.....jsut run the suggested jet. A way to tell if your jetting is spot on....is when you start it......cold........you should have to use choke to start it and it should idle high until you turn it off........if it doesnt want to startwith the choke on....but starts with choke off...its too rich....if it doesnt want to start with the choke on or off...its too lean. If i didnt say anything that answers your questions...jsut ask soo and ill answer as soon as i can.
happy to help yah :)
CHAD

nonerunin450
11-19-2004, 06:39 AM
HEY CHAD

PUT THAT DUNCAN PIPE ON LAST NIGHT RE JETTED IT AND IT RUNS LIKE YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE I THINK THAT FIXED MY PROBLEM BUT HAVE NOT GOTTON TO RIDE IT WHERE IT MATTERS JUST AROUND MY SHOP

HOPE THAT IT IS FIXED STILL GOING TO GET A 13 TOOTH FRONT SPROCKET

THANKS ALOT

aroracer72
11-19-2004, 08:58 AM
Just out of curiosity..what main jet did they recommend for yah to put in???....also...a lean/ricj quad can run great.....but still be dampening your power. When you started it.....dead cold......did it require choke....and once it started idled high and smoothly then when you turned the choke off the idle dropped and it idle nicely...no ruffles or little pops while sitting still??......if so its right..if not its off...prolly not a lot...but some.
CHAD