PDA

View Full Version : pivot bolt question

insaneracin2003
11-17-2004, 01:51 PM
ok,i got everything apart and i lubed the pivot bolt like a mofo.i took the nut off the left side(sitting on the bike) when i tried to turn the bolt itself from the right side,it was very hard.didnt want to budge at all.
so i put the nut back on and lubed this mofo some more and started tapping the nut with no budging at all.do i need to just keep working it until i finally get the best of it(or it gets the best of me) also,by hitting the nut with a hammer,do i have a chance to damage the engine casing or frame or swingarm?
thanks guys

JRDrider22
11-17-2004, 03:16 PM
a lot of people have been using PB Blaster to get the pivot bolt out. i know i will have some trouble getting mine out as well. i would try anything to try and wedge out the bolt.

Joey Lloyd

theTman
11-17-2004, 03:23 PM
if u hit it with a hammer...if you dont miss it will most likely just mess up the threads...i tried PB blaster and mine still wouldnt budge.. so idk what to tell ya. some people have had to cut them out:eek:

JRDrider22
11-17-2004, 03:32 PM
Also if you ruin the threads, its at least better then wrecking your caseing. Remember that a bolt is cheaper then a case.

400ex28
11-17-2004, 04:39 PM
When i took mine out it was really hard. i unscreed the nut but dont unscrew it all the way then lub it real good then just start workin at it and hammer it....i ended up gettin mine out with a sledge hammer and i did mess up the threads but too bad i just ordered a new on....they are a pain to get out

motoboy66
11-18-2004, 09:16 PM
Also try tuning the bolt while you are hitting it. Mine came out with no trouble, but I did notice that there was some rust starting. I bead blasted it and put a coat of primer on it. The last time I took itout, I had no trouble and the primer kept the rust off. My buddy on the other hand had one hell of a time getting his out. sledge hammer, and finaly able to get a slide hammer on it. My cr500 had the same trouble, big hammer always helps.

hondarider2006
11-18-2004, 10:55 PM
Mine took a lot of PB blaster and a 30lb impact hammer....it still came out pretty hard. Just be careful and don't bend your frame;)

fasterz
11-20-2004, 08:45 AM
i took a 2x4 and had some one hold it against it and then hit the other end of the 2x4 with a sledge hammer. the wood wont mess up the bolt and it still gives the nut enough blow to come out;)

Juggalo
11-20-2004, 04:26 PM
nothing would break mine free..i tried every trick in the book and i ended up having to cut it out

KH426
11-20-2004, 04:35 PM
i'm pappy's lil bro we just took my 426ex down and had to cut the swing arm. we tried everything else :( good luck

swampfoxsc
11-20-2004, 07:25 PM
Mine had to be cut out on my '99 400EX with a torch. If yours moves then keep working it and try to get some lube on the bolt in the middle by the engine case where the bolt is inside the sleeves. That's probably where rust has jammed it in. An impact wrench may break it loose but you'll probably end up sacrificing the pivot bolt and beating it out ruining it in the process.:mad:

Ginxd00
11-20-2004, 08:01 PM
I just spend the better part of an hour getting it out. On a 2003 none the less. The PB Blster trick helps also I went to Lowes and bought a 5/16th piece of round stock. I used a brass hammer and with alot of force kept getting it to move out little by little, every time it moved I hosed the PB around the spacer on the right side. I beleive this is where it was getting hung up. It took about an hour, but it came out undamaged, but a little surface rust and gunk. I mixed up some Anti- Seize and Mobil1 marine grease and slimed it up and reinstalled it. Keep at it it will eventually come out, worse case senario is you'll have to take a die grinder and cut it out.

Pappy
11-20-2004, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by KH426
i'm pappy's lil bro we just took my 426ex down and had to cut the swing arm. we tried everything else :( good luck

:eek: it posts:eek:

yeah yours was a real b!tch.

the right side collar welded itself to the bearing sleeve and that was that. 60 minutes with the air hammer and finally said screw it and cut the mofo off....swing arm and all:( thats the second one thats been that bad:mad:

pnut420
11-20-2004, 08:46 PM
I had the same deal as Pappy, collars just welded to the bearings, the bolt would turn but it didnt change anything, I hit it with a hammer, etc.... I just cut it off with a sawzall in the end, I was starting to tweak the frame some with the sledgehammer so I stopped