PDA

View Full Version : KFX Durability Question

hemi operator
11-17-2004, 01:19 PM
I'll be looking to buy a bike soon brand new and was wondering how well the KFX/LTZ twins hold up after a while. The radiator fan and fluid overflow reservior are pretty out in the open and seem like they could get whacked a lot. How does the cooling system hold up as far as leaks and such? I'm trying to decide between the twins (or triplets if you count the DVX) and a 400EX. I like the simplicity of the EX but the twins seem like a more "athletic" machine. The trails, fire roads, and power lines in my area get pretty rough with lots of debris and lots of tight spots where the bike really takes some abuse by rocks and tree branches. I'd be doing a lot more of that type of riding than riding out in the open in sand pits and smooth roads. I figure sacrificing a little speed and maneuverability for a simpler machine with less to break or malfunction is a worthwhile trade-off in my area, so I was leaning twards the EX400. However, I putted around on a brand new KFX 400 at my dealer today, and fell in love with it.

Right now you can finance through Kawasaki at 3.9% for 2 years and then 6.9% if you have any balance left after the 2 years. Pretty good deal if you have a big chunk to put down and then pay the rest off in 2 years.

KFX21
11-18-2004, 08:48 AM
I have had my KFX since they came out. The only trouble i've had is the old style chain adjuster bolts, other than that no trouble at all. I race MX and Woods and never have any problems with overheating. You won't be disappointed in a KFX and you won't
disappointed in the EX either, but the liquid cooling and new piggy back rezzie shocks are a better reason to get a Z/KFX.

hemi operator
11-18-2004, 11:43 AM
Does any aftermarket company make shields or guards to protect the overflow tank and fan? I'm just curious because it seems like it would be pretty easy for a tree branch or debris to hit them or be kicked up by the front tires right into them.

Admin
11-18-2004, 11:50 AM
I have been racing the LTZ since it was first released in March of 2002, and I wouldn't worry about the Overflow bottle because I have never seen an issue with them from something hitting it.

If you overfill them, the wait will put a strain on the aluminum and crack the radiator, which does require some one to reweld the tabs, but not a major problem.

popo
11-18-2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by hemi operator
Does any aftermarket company make shields or guards to protect the overflow tank and fan? I'm just curious because it seems like it would be pretty easy for a tree branch or debris to hit them or be kicked up by the front tires right into them.

That's where Popo can up with a bright idea. I added a larger res and relocated it to the back subframe.

QUADROOKIE
11-20-2004, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by popo
That's where Popo can up with a bright idea. I added a larger res and relocated it to the back subframe.

Damn!!!! I still cant get over every time I see that quad Popo it has got to be the nicest quad I have ever seen!!! I would kill to have one like that!!:devil:

UbeenSmoked
11-21-2004, 04:36 PM
Damn thatis a nice quad popo, but back to the subject the only prob i have had with me kfx is the pivot bolt. ive snapped 2 of them in a month but u can fix that with a stainless steal bolt and the frame ive broke mine on both sides in the front were the shock mounts are but they also can be fix by gusseting it, other than that its a nice quad to casual ride on or race

MAtt

hardkoratvmxr
11-21-2004, 05:54 PM
get the z/kfx with the new shocks they should be killer but i would wait and see if they put otu a z/kfx 450 for next year but if you decide now still get the kfx/z