PDA

View Full Version : air filter core question...

Jersey450R
11-17-2004, 08:33 AM
has anyone drilled say 1/2 inch or 1 inch holes in the metal air filter core? has anyone taken it out completely?? would doing this affect jetting at all?

kazpr
11-17-2004, 08:48 AM
I just switched to the Sparks kit. It has a ring and does not use the inner part.

red2004 TRX450R
11-17-2004, 10:17 AM
That made me think :D

Why waste the $50.00 on the sparks kit when all u have to do is to cut off the screen and just use the first half inch or so of it. And than fill the little hole in the end of the filter with some silicone!!!

I hate when I waste money!!!

And don’t tell me that the sparks foam filter is any better than the stock Honda filter because it isn’t.
The only thing wrong with its is that they put a restrictive cage in the filter so that over the winter when the mice chew up you filter and build a nest in your box it don’t suck them in to the motor on start up!!! My friend really wishes that yamajunk would have done that!!!!!

And don’t tell me that the ring that sparks gives you will make more power, its just there to so that u have some thing to clamp the filter to!!!

I have the sparks filter kit and you can mod you stock and it would be just as good!!

kazpr
11-17-2004, 10:24 AM
Red you seem a little uptight about sparks filters :)

Johnny B
11-17-2004, 12:09 PM
And don’t tell me that the sparks foam filter is any better than the stock Honda filter because it isn’t. I dissagree, i have the sparks filter and when i put it in the machine totally stock it would not run right, i took it out and then took the core out of the stock put it in and it ran fine. so is what i am trying to say is that it defentally lets more air in and it filters jsut as well as the stock

red2004 TRX450R
11-17-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Johnny B
I dissagree, i have the sparks filter and when i put it in the machine totally stock it would not run right, i took it out and then took the core out of the stock put it in and it ran fine. so is what i am trying to say is that it defentally lets more air in and it filters jsut as well as the stock

WHAT !!!! :confused:

did u have you lid on or off???

red2004 TRX450R
11-17-2004, 12:48 PM
sparks states go up 5 on the MJ for the sparks filter vr stock.

it all in the metal air filter core.

Jersey450R
11-17-2004, 01:11 PM
so has anyone put holes???

450 Racer R
11-17-2004, 01:33 PM
k&n means horsepower :muscle:

250exen
11-17-2004, 02:02 PM
i say try it, and be the test dummy...
what could be the worst that happen..... you know what, dont answer that...
i think you you would be fine, but theres only one way to try it.....

BSTURDIVANT
11-17-2004, 04:08 PM
Do a search- we did a thread on removing the stock intake screen and using the front just to clamp to. Works good!

CdaleXtreme
11-17-2004, 09:49 PM
No foam filter is going to flow substantially better than another. I cut my screen out, and used the steel ring left over to clamp my fliter down, I tried to grind off the rough edges as much as possible though. I cant imagine how the stock screen WOULDNT restrict air flow, do you see how small those holes are....Get out the hacksaw and grinding wheel and cut'er out.

Back to the filters, I have a Stock, two Uni's and a NO-toil that I rotate through. I dont have to rejet, nor doest it run any different when I put any of these filters on. the only filter that may be different is K&N, but your a fool if u use one for MX.

Cut the cage off.

Grind down the rough edges.

dont forget to Silicon that small hole.

Save $50.

If youre afraid to Rejet you shouldnt own a 450R.