PDA

View Full Version : Applying Honda Bond

440ex2001
11-16-2004, 11:52 PM
I am thinking of running honda bond for my base gasket for more compression. I dont really know how to go about applying it. I know I shouldnt put to much on there but im afraid I might put to little as well. I'm also worried about coveing up oil passages. Is there a certain distance i should keep from oil passages and the edges so alow room for the honda bond to expand when under pressure? Any rules of thumb or tips would be great.

Aallron
11-17-2004, 01:00 AM
Any modifications that you do to the installed height of the cylinder/head combo has an effect on the cam timing. Shortening the distance without adjusting the cam timing will retard the cam timing ... less bottom end power and more top... how much of a shift, I am not sure.

mojoe2878
11-17-2004, 08:00 AM
just apply a real thin layer with your finger, it doesnt take much at all. around the oil hole put it away from the edge of the oil hole some so it will have room to expand to when you tighten it down.
you should not have to retard or advance the timing any.

INFANTRY RACING
11-17-2004, 07:13 PM
don't do what mickey onelap would do. run a base gasket. If you want more comp buy a new piston.

440ex2001
11-17-2004, 07:26 PM
Already have anew piston 11:1 ross 89mm. Mickey Dunlap build engines so I would do what he would do. Thats how u learn.

INFANTRY RACING
11-17-2004, 08:29 PM
well when you mess up your motor whatever but no other engine builders would do that kinda cheap crap.

speedy400
11-17-2004, 08:36 PM
cheap is sometimes, but not always a bad thing. Mickey I have heard is a pretty good builder and has a nice veriety of kits and such. Do you have something against him? just curious-darren

mojoe2878
11-19-2004, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by INFANTRY RACING
well when you mess up your motor whatever but no other engine builders would do that kinda cheap crap.
they dont do it because its cheap, they do it to give you more of the compression from the piston. with the honda bond he will be closer to the 11:1 compression ratio with out the thicker base gasket, if he puts the thicker base gasket on then he wont get the true 11:1 compression ratio out of the piston.