PDA

View Full Version : Guessted frames

McG300ex
11-16-2004, 08:12 PM
i was thinking of buying an 03 z400 and was wondering if i should get the frame guesseted right away, or will it be fine for trail riding and some jumping.

Honda400exrox
11-16-2004, 08:29 PM
that is what i would like to know

Shawn H
11-16-2004, 08:50 PM
I recommend ya gusset right away if ya have time.This frame will crack I ll try and post a link with all the spots to look for>

Shawn H
11-16-2004, 08:52 PM
Here ya go you may have to register to view the picz400 frame gussets (http://www.********forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1315)

gimp419
11-18-2004, 08:54 AM
If you plan on jumping at all especially with the stock suspension I'd gussett the frame just to make sure that it can take the abuse. I tore mine down and did it the day I got it from the dealer, and I have beat the crap out of it racing and practicing and not one crack or stress fracture yet! Oh I've had the bike for 2 full seasons too. :cool:

hemi operator
11-18-2004, 11:46 AM
I thought I read somewhere that for '05 the frame is stronger to prevent the cracks people had been having under harsh treatment. Is this true?

fast01blaster
11-18-2004, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by hemi operator
I thought I read somewhere that for '05 the frame is stronger to prevent the cracks people had been having under harsh treatment. Is this true?

I checked one out at the dealer and they extended the gusset above the upper front shock mounts all the way down to the mount. I did not notice any other changes though...

QUADROOKIE
11-20-2004, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by hemi operator

Even if it is, its still a good idea to guset if you plan to ride hard.

BarePerformance
11-21-2004, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by gimp419
If you plan on jumping at all especially with the stock suspension I'd gussett the frame just to make sure that it can take the abuse. I tore mine down and did it the day I got it from the dealer, and I have beat the crap out of it racing and practicing and not one crack or stress fracture yet! Oh I've had the bike for 2 full seasons too. :cool:

They did beef up the 05 frames slightly but we are still having alot of customers calling with problems...Better to grab the $60 kit than risk it...

Any frame on any quad if ridden hard is going to have some problems...

Matt

sdxp787
12-07-2004, 04:22 PM
Get it gussetted right away. Bare performance make a nice gusset kit. I have it on mine. Not only do the frames crack above the shock mounts, the lower tubes along the bottom where the a-arms bolt on will start to spread. I have a frame right now that has spread about 1/4". No Kidding.....get the gusset kit. Go to www.bareperformance.com and talk to Matt.

400exrider707
12-07-2004, 11:46 PM
Yeah my buddy never raced his, and then one day while going up a hill!, the front down tubes from the top shock mounts down to about where the a-arms mount ripped completely off of the frame and it sat right down onto the tie rods!!! He got a new frame for free even though it was out of warranty, but he had to pay to have everything switched over to the new frame (about $500, cheaper than a gusset!) NACS sells a bracket that bolts onto the front shock mounts that takes all the stress off of it its only like $60.

f272272
12-08-2004, 11:09 AM
I have on 03 Z440 with a LSR gussett kit. They stripped, gussetted, and did the powdercoat for $600.00. The entire job looks great. They install alot more gussetts than some of this home made crap you see. www.lsracing.com :D

yfzrider93
12-08-2004, 11:15 AM
Yeah, for sure dude, get it gusseted or you will be sorry later. And if you do make sure who ever does it knows what they are doing. I know Bare does good work, Lonestar's kits look good too. My Suzuki frame is getting gusseted right now by JH Racing, i'm sure it will be awesome. Johnny really knows his stuff.

MY450R
12-08-2004, 11:38 AM
the upper side of the shock mounts is where it breaks
you can make your own gussets and it will look fine depending on your skill

f272272
12-08-2004, 01:27 PM
Hey yfz rider are you going to the tulsa arenacross this weekend? I can agree with his post if your in the Oklahoma area than check out www.j-hracing.com he does a good job and your supporting someone that is involved in racing.

BarePerformance
12-08-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by f272272
I have on 03 Z440 with a LSR gussett kit. They stripped, gussetted, and did the powdercoat for $600.00. The entire job looks great. They install alot more gussetts than some of this home made crap you see. www.lsracing.com :D

$600 ouch thats killer...

f272272
12-08-2004, 02:17 PM
Nice site Bare. Sounds like a good deal.

yfzrider93
12-09-2004, 10:33 AM
Hey f272272, i'll be there Saturday and Sunday. Like I said my Suzuki is getting worked on but i'm gonna race my old yfz. It's got a blingstar bumper and it will have red number plates number 93. Our trailer is black and has Fasst Co and Flexx Handlebar stickers on it. Stop by and say whats up if you go.

f272272
12-09-2004, 10:42 AM
Youve got the suzuki with the TC450 and the bent frame right. I just put a Trinity 440 kit in mine so we'll see how it does. I've got the white Suzuki I think we've raced against each other at Xtreme world and at Mcalester arenacross.

SPECTECH
12-09-2004, 12:40 PM
Broke mine after 3 harescrambles right side next to oil tank.

Tastykake Kid
12-10-2004, 12:19 PM
Bought my '03 from Alba when it first came out. I was the 1st one to buy a Z from them. I pretty much started racing MX with it from day 1 which is the day I bent my axle. I immediately put on long travel suspension that was set-up & valved correctly and although I did finally crack my frame (near front upper shock mounts), it did last countless MX and a few stadium & TT races. Maybe the suspension made it last so long? Maybe I wasn't casing it so hard over all those jumps? Or maybe I was just riding like an old lady. ;-D
I have heard good things about Bare Performance but the logistic's made it much more convenient to have Epic Racing in Santee, CA (619) 562-EPIC do the gusseting and Candy Blue powdercoating on my frame AND sub-frame for a price that was lower than anywhere else and it looks SMOKIN' nice!
Jeremy Schell is running thier suspension and the quality is 2nd to none!

It sounds like I'm one of the few that had their frame last this long under these conditions so, my recommendations would be TO gusset your frame if it's going to be ridden hard.