PDA

View Full Version : weak *** 400ex

mxrider4
11-16-2004, 08:02 PM
I was wondering what everyone thought about the power upgrade you get from a curtis sparks pipe, jet kit and k&n filter. It is for a 2004 400ex, all stock. We had it out at dumont last weekend and this thing is weak, would not pull all the dunes even in 2nd. Would just the pipe,jet kit, and k&n be a very big difference? I dont want to spend a lot because the wife rides it, but have got to do something. Also how does anyone like the hot cams stage one? are they any good? thanks for any help.also i ran 4psi in the paddles , is that about right

chris herrin
x130 district 37

11-16-2004, 08:10 PM
well what do you ride in?

ex101
11-16-2004, 08:22 PM
I ride dumont all the time and my ex climbs them all, no problem.I've got a full Lrd system w/ K&N filter,pro flo.I run typically 4 to 5 pds. of air.Try a 14 tooth sprocket,they are only like 20 bucks and install quick. ;)

LazeR
11-16-2004, 09:10 PM
Sounds like you just need to learn how to ride the dunes better. I ride the dunes here have 8 paddle sand sharks :rolleyes: with about 4psi, and there has never been any hill i haven't been able to climb.....VERY VERY RARELY do i have to use 1st gear going up a hill.

myk_ex
11-16-2004, 09:43 PM
Curtis Sparks makes great pipes. A friend of mine has one ( the x6 on a stock bike ) and it picked up a lot of low end torque. But, I do agree with Lazer, maybe you just need to get used to riding it. Mine never had problems at the dunes. I use 10 pdl haulers @ 4 psi.

Skannes
11-16-2004, 09:53 PM
i recomend , a cam, big bore, procirciut t-4 headpipe and silencer, jet kit, high compresion piston,

mxrider4
11-16-2004, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by LazeR
Sounds like you just need to learn how to ride the dunes better. I ride the dunes here have 8 paddle sand sharks :rolleyes: with about 4psi, and there has never been any hill i haven't been able to climb.....VERY VERY RARELY do i have to use 1st gear going up a hill. maybe in oregon there are no dunes as steep as dumont, i know how to ride just fine, the bike is totally underpowered for the dunes at dumont, if it had just a little bit more it would be bareable,I just mess around on it sometimes, I ride a kx500 at the dunes.

440ex2001
11-16-2004, 11:45 PM
Your best bet would be to get a 11:1 piston a stage 2 hotcam(more power in upperRPM) and a decent slip on jet kit and filter. If you do all the work your self it wouldnt be that expensive. It would give you alot more power.

EXDUNER127
11-17-2004, 09:45 AM
Dont listen to all that mumbo jumbo, I've ridden dumont on a stock bike and you do pull second up the hills and it did lack some pull. Then i bought a full system exhaust, k&n, and took airbox lid off and i was pulling third with alot more bottom end, and it was plenty fun without needing a piston and cam! But the more the better, it does help alot at the dunes to run a 14 tooth front sprocket though... good luck!

Toadz400
11-17-2004, 10:43 AM
I don't see what people keep putting you down about need to learn how to ride a stock quad in the dunes when all of them have their quads modded out.

Go with the X-6, aftermarket cam (I don't know what stage people would recommend for dunes) and a smaller front sprocket.

Mikey
11-17-2004, 01:59 PM
Try more air pressure. I ran 4-5psi and it wasn't enough. I bumped it up to 8psi and it was a totally different bike. I have GBC V-paddles and weigh 200 lbs.