PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade or buy new quad?

maskale
11-16-2004, 07:58 PM
I have a 2002 400ex with K&N, 440 kit, cam, exhaust and some other performance upgrades, I am happy with the power but the stock suspensions sucks. It was ok for trails but now that I go to the track it is not enough. I can't make up my mind weather to buy a new YFZ450 or the 450R or just upgrade what I have.

I have 3000 to spend. If I upgrade my 440ex then I think my suspension would be better than stock on the Y and R. If I buy new then I would have to use the 3000 as a down payment and I would still have monthly payments and I would still need to upgrade somethings on a new quad.

This is what I would upgrade too on my 400ex. Suggestions welcome on what not to get or what to get. I am new to MX so I dont know everything.

Burgard +3+1 with the Nickle plate fininish, I live on the coast so rust is a problem and PC seems to wear off. I am open to other brands though.

Elka Quad rate fully adjustable for the front.

Elka Triple rate for the rear.

Steering stabalizer.

Razr MX tires, with beadlocks (maybe HIPERS, everyone here that has them seems to like them)

I already have a +3 rear axle

And some other things just to trick it out.

I have not rode the YFZ or the 450R but how would my 440 rate as far as power goes. Cause getting more power would not be a bad thing at all, there are still some performance upgrades I can do to the 440ex though.

(this thread is not about YFZ or the 450R but weather or not to upgrade what I have or start with a new one, but if you would like to make a comment about them I would like to hear it, I have used the search feature and have read nearly everything about the Y and R on this site)

thanks for all the help and advice.

yoshz400rider
11-16-2004, 08:14 PM
I hate the suspension on the yamaha powers awesome though i just hate honda cuz everyone buys there quad and they hardly support anyone I assume u do mx gettin a new 450r or YFZ wouldnt be a bad idea but if u just care about suspension dont go that route becaus elkas would be better than either of the quads stockers

quad_62
11-16-2004, 08:34 PM
one of the things you need to look at is what you plan on doing in the long run. I am in the same situation as you, but dont have the $$$ to spend on a new 450. yeah, you'd be starting out back at the beginning, but a couple years down the road, will you be able to have the shocks, a-arms, etc. on the 450? I have seen a good rider on a modded 250R turn into a great rider on a stock YFZ. so your question is one that has many different answers. My only advice is to make sure you dont leave any of these factors out when you get ready to make your decision.

ex101
11-16-2004, 09:04 PM
If your quad is paid for ,then fight the urge for another few years of payments.Spend a thousand for the Elkas if you have it to burn,and you'll have a killer ex.I traded in one bike for another and you always get the crap side of the stick.I decided to keep my 400 and build it rather than jump on the 450 bandwagon.:p

Flynbryan19
11-17-2004, 05:59 AM
Spend the money on suspension and keep what you got. As you said yourself, if you buy a 450 your just back at step 1 again.....

You'll have the power, but you won't be any better off suspension wise..... At the local level setup makes ALL the difference. You already have a motor that will run with the 450's. You may have to work a little harder, but if you get suspension for the ex you'll be ahead in the long run.

Rootar
11-17-2004, 07:23 AM
when i was looking into a bigger quad it was either wait a couple months and get a 450r it would have took the whole summer to pay for it and still owe my dad about $1100 or i could get a used 400ex and fix it up kinda asa project well i chose the 400 because it would be payed off a have a bunch of stuff on it while the r wold have been stock forever next summer when id be finishing paying off an r my 400 will be completely rebuilt with suspension and everything so i say if youve got a 440 keep it and add the super nice suspension youll beable to run all over the 450s at the track with that kind of suspension oh yea ive only got about 4500 in my 400 while the r would have been 6400 im sure after next summer ill beable to hang with the 450s every where but in a drag race i say keep your 400 its payed for