PDA

View Full Version : MY 2005 450R Locked UP!!!

Quad101
11-16-2004, 07:21 PM
I just bought this quad last week. I only have 3 hours on it she locked up... I have it back at the dealer. I will keep you all posted on this. If any one of you all out there has had a problem like this please post it.

Thanks............

Jersey450R
11-16-2004, 07:53 PM
another lemon:p

Quad101
11-16-2004, 07:59 PM
I know what are ya going to do!

turboTony
11-16-2004, 08:41 PM
The engine SEIZED???
Wow, thats not good. First time I heard of it and I did aLOT of searching for problems before I bought mine a few months ago...
Let us know what happened. Don't be surprised if they try to blame it on you either. It is back at the dealer afterall... :rolleyes:

BOONE450R
11-16-2004, 08:43 PM
that sucks, Ive herd they have a problem with the crank bearings. let us know whats up:(

lilredridenwood
11-16-2004, 09:51 PM
I have heard things like this going on lately is it just on the 05:mad:

BOONE450R
11-16-2004, 10:06 PM
i hope not, but what can you do? :ermm:

Dobson
11-17-2004, 06:43 AM
mine's an 04 crank bearing went after 400-500 hours on it, don't worry honda has covered everyone so far, modded or not

400grl
11-17-2004, 09:16 AM
Sounds like you are getting a new crank!:eek2:

aroracer72
11-17-2004, 04:56 PM
The ones with bad cranks dont go after 3 hours. DID you know that if you rev our hondas/drive them semi-really hard they burn a pretty good amount of engine oill....and you msut top it off. And also you need to break these quads in correctly...those 3 hours should have been spent riding it no more then 3/4 throttle..and thats pushing it. I know it sounds rediculous...but these things are that high output of performance tht they need these break ins.....and did you change your oil/oil filter ever????....this isnt bike fault...this is owner fault...not saying your dumb..sjut saying you werent aware of the maintenance/constant checking these thigns need. I KNOW that some of you will say i never have burned off any oil......well you wont burn any off if your not super hard on it or rev it high. Just a few of us.....mine burns oil and it runs great....thats because im a racer and i rev the crap out of mine and ride it hard.
CHAD

One_Bad_400
11-17-2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by aroracer72
..and did you change your oil/oil filter ever????....
CHAD

well after 3 weeks you shouldnt have your engine locked up because of the oil, ive gone like a month without changing my oil(because im lazy) and my engine didnt lock up! i dont know about these 05 R's i thnk i might just go with the YFZ,

11-17-2004, 07:57 PM
The ones with bad cranks dont go after 3 hours. DID you know that if you rev our hondas/drive them semi-really hard they burn a pretty good amount of engine oill....and you msut top it off. And also you need to break these quads in correctly...those 3 hours should have been spent riding it no more then 3/4 throttle..and thats pushing it. I know it sounds rediculous...but these things are that high output of performance tht they need these break ins.....and did you change your oil/oil filter ever????....this isnt bike fault...this is owner fault...not saying your dumb..sjut saying you werent aware of the maintenance/constant checking these thigns need. I KNOW that some of you will say i never have burned off any oil......well you wont burn any off if your not super hard on it or rev it high. Just a few of us.....mine burns oil and it runs great....thats because im a racer and i rev the crap out of mine and ride it hard.
CHAD

I run mine hard and it doesn't burn a drop of oil. I never loose any. I think the problem with you burning oil is easy break in. You need to break it in hard! Read this
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Bummer about your quad. I am courious to see what the cause was.

Wayne64SS
11-17-2004, 08:21 PM
yea break that thing in hard what do you think honda does to it. they just say that so if you say you beaet it then you are ognna pay. i broke min ein real hard jsut how i ride it and it dont smoke or use any oil. prolly got 100 hrs on it too

One_Bad_400
11-17-2004, 08:35 PM
what is the break in proses for the 450r?
is it like the yfz, ride it 3 times around the yard let it cool down and it is good to go?

ratherbriding99
11-17-2004, 09:08 PM
i have read that same theory on other websites. Its hard to believe, but it makes sense to me. Did anybody read any of the stuff about porting on that website?

aroracer72
11-17-2004, 09:13 PM
you should never drive something that hard after a very short time like that. Your suppose to do like 1 15 minute idle session...then drive it semi hard for like 5-10 minutes...then start getting on it harder and harder. If you drive it real hard off the bat...it doesnt let the metals seal togetehr properly and your losing performance and life span. If you have done this and have had no problems..then you dont ride your quad very hard...this is okay for weekend warriors and trailers...but racers and duners i dont recommend this immediate ragging on.......you dont have to wait for ever....but you gotta slightly ease into it......these arnt your 400ex's and warriors.
CHAD

LoneRacer
11-18-2004, 06:41 PM
My Honda Dealer Called me and said a crank bearing went. They are taking care of it. :D What can you say $hit happens. I guess i will have to break in a new motor? I hope to have it back in a few weeks. I will keep you posted.:chinese:

lacofdfireman
11-19-2004, 08:04 PM
you should never drive something that hard after a very short time like that. Your suppose to do like 1 15 minute idle session...then drive it semi hard for like 5-10 minutes...then start getting on it harder and harder. If you drive it real hard off the bat...it doesnt let the metals seal togetehr properly and your losing performance and life span. If you have done this and have had no problems..then you dont ride your quad very hard...this is okay for weekend warriors and trailers...but racers and duners i dont recommend this immediate ragging on.......you dont have to wait for ever....but you gotta slightly ease into it......these arnt your 400ex's and warriors.
CHAD

I disagree on the easy break in. I was also told by my dealer that you no longer need to do the easy break in on motors because of the casting process of the newer motors. They say ride it like you stole it. I guarantee that when they assembled your quad they probably drag raced it down the street a few times and they were FULL THROTTLE.

CBW
11-19-2004, 08:17 PM
I broke my YFZ in like this,,,,,,,,let it idle for 10 minutes,,,,,,,rode it slow for 15 minutes.......then went to the dunes and rode hard,,,,,,,that was a year and a half ago........changed the oil after every major ride,,,,,,,,,,,,havent had any problems.

Derno24
11-19-2004, 10:03 PM
I don't know why they waste people's time with telling them to break it in. All Motorcycles, ATV's, and such have a rev out test after assembly. Which means just that they spank your machine before draining and sending it to you. Break in isn't what it used to be for.

stocktires
11-20-2004, 12:02 AM
Would this method also apply to 2-strokes? Seems so...

turboTony
11-20-2004, 12:25 AM
2 things you DON'T do within the first few hours of break-in...
1). NEVER let the engine run at a steady rpm. INCLUDING idle!!!
2). Avoid SUDDEN acceleration to HIGH revs.

Other than that, ride it hard. :devil:
Break-in is not so much a "break-in" anymore due to well cast parts but simply a process to seat the rings...

beatercj5
11-20-2004, 07:57 AM
I was told "dont let it sit and idle for long, ride it like you would every day"

Kennethyfz450
11-20-2004, 08:23 AM
CHAD

Thats a bunch of garbage! Doug a friend of mine bought his 450r and the only break end it had was against a 310 r going down a road a few times and everyone in the county riding it.. HIs is 100% perfect no problems to date! HOnda's are really good bikes.
break in procedures are like buttholes everyone has one.
------

maybe the dealer didn't add enough oil.. maybe a kid that was mad because his parents wouldnt let him buy a 450r put something in the oil tank... anyhting like that can happend at a dealer thats why i requested one from a crate..

(a friend of mine that works at a dealer caught a person putting dirt in the gas tank...... luckly they pushed it to the shop and drained the gas before anyone started it and made his parents pay 220 dollars for draining the gas tank, and oil and putting new stuff back in.. LOL i bet he was in trouble forever!) He told me he wasn't pulling me leg, but some parts of this story was hard to believe like the 220 dollars to drain stuff:eek2:
--------

hopefully honda takes care of you!

Derag2
11-20-2004, 11:53 AM
I was climbing hills and racing around and popping wheelies with only about 15 minutes on my quad. I let her warm up a little first for the first few rides. but i ride it hard other than that. It don't burn a drop of oil. This is a 400EX thou......

400grl
11-20-2004, 01:21 PM
I broke my new YFZ in at a race........and I have had zero issues with the engine.........:macho

ratherbriding99
11-20-2004, 05:09 PM
i think we need to start a new thread cuz this one is rather off topic.

brokeitin3
11-27-2004, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by 400grl
Sounds like you are getting a new crank!:eek2:

Think I might put in for a new one myself. My rod is broke

coryatver
11-27-2004, 10:30 PM
I think the manufactures might just tell you to break it in easy so the warrenty runs out before you run it hard enough to put it to the test.:o