PDA

View Full Version : pinging

riverex
11-16-2004, 05:19 PM
I started my 400 today and it started fine. I let it warm up for a little while and started ticking at idle. the ticking would go away when you give it gas but will tick when it slows back down to ldle. could it be bad gas.

LazeR
11-16-2004, 05:22 PM
How old is the gas ? Can you still hear it ticking at all when you rev it up ? It might just be valve noise!

riverex
11-16-2004, 05:26 PM
the gas is only a couple of weeks old and the valves were adjusted a couple of months ago. the noise goes away when rev it up

atvracr350
11-16-2004, 05:55 PM
Gas has nothing to do with your problem. That defenitly sounds like the valves and the only reason you can't hear it when you rev it up is the noise from your exhaust masks it. Even if your valves are adjusted properly they are still going to make noise. think about it. The valves open and close over and over hitting metal each time the close. So the ticking is normal and it doesn't mean there is anything wrong with your bike it is just the valves. So no worries.

riverex
11-16-2004, 07:01 PM
why would it suddenly start doing this after 2 years its never sounded like that before. It doesn't do it cold only when it gets warmed up.

ex101
11-16-2004, 08:36 PM
Possibly,the valve noise your hearing is after the engine warms up,the oil thins out.Try a different oil,like synthetic for better lubrication.My 400 makes valve noise also,and I've adjusted because of paranoia!lol!

Destructo
11-16-2004, 10:10 PM
My 400 is nice and quiet, no valve noise that I can tell easily. My dads DR250 and my XR200R with the RFVC engine make some noise, but I don't worry about it. The piston and on up to the entire top end are all new in the 200R, I had to rebuild the top end after 1 year after I had already rebuilt it because some previous owner left out an o-ring on the oil pump, I rebuilt it very shortly after I got it because it needed it and didn't know about the missing o-ring, that was another 300 bucks in new rockers, cam, sub rockers and a rocker shaft.