PDA

View Full Version : Removing cam shaft cap and right side crankcase on 300ex

Ben
04-17-2002, 06:18 PM
My service manual won't be here until next week so I wonder if anyone can give me an idea what is involved removing the right side crank case? I am going to put a new gasket in. I have never removed the crank case on a bike, besides draining the oil do I have to do anything else? Also, can I just remove the camshaft cap and replace it or do I have to do something else first? Thanks for any help you can provide!

dirtclog
04-17-2002, 07:10 PM
right side crankcase removal:

remove in order

clutch cable
reverse/neutral switch connector cover..2 bolts
reverse and neutral switch connectors
reverse selector arm and cable
oil pipe bolt
remove 12 bolts for case cover
reverse selector cable holder
cover

should be able to get it far enough away to get new gasket in...

also..clean out oil strainer screen since you're in there..
it will be down at the bottom inside the case.

I'm not sure about the camshaft end cap. I would see what the new one looks like and if doesn't have a big edge on it I'd try and "pop" the other one out and put new one in. If it has a large edge you may have to remove the cylinder head cover to get it on.ouch

hope that helps.

(shoulda bought mine<--kidding)

Ben
04-17-2002, 07:50 PM
Thanks dirt, I really appreciate it! That is exactly what I was looking for. Hehe, everyone is telling me I should have bought their bike! ;)

knighttime
04-17-2002, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by maoz
Thanks dirt, I really appreciate it! That is exactly what I was looking for. Hehe, everyone is telling me I should have bought their bike! ;)

thats true but u will be in there same boat, u will want to sell it and get a fo-hundred :huh

Ben
04-17-2002, 08:16 PM
Already have two :)

4WHLr
04-17-2002, 09:22 PM
Maoz, On the cam cap you'll probably have to take the head
cover off to get it out because there is a metal piece inside of it to
keep it from collapsing. I'd run a small bead of silicone around it for good measure. You will need some "Honda Bond" to remount the cover because it has no gasket. Most of the bolts are different lengths also so be careful, and also the bolts that get the copper washers go where the small arrows are cast into the cover. A small torque wrench is handy also on those bolts I've seen quite a few stripped or broken. Readjust the valves and your all set!!!

Good Luck,

Bill

Ben
04-19-2002, 04:27 AM
Thanks for all your help. 4Whlr & anyone else, are you sure I won't be able to just pop the cover off? Could I damage anything if I try it? I picked up some Hondabond HT, can I use this on both the cam cover AND the right side case cover gasket? Thanks as always!

4WHLr
04-19-2002, 08:37 PM
I think if you try to change it without pulling the head cover off first it will leak worse than it does now. If that plug was solid rubber you probably could but when you get your new one you will see that it is reinforced with a metal cup, distorting it or cutting the inner lip to push it in will just let it pop out . Riding is way much more fun than wrenching, I'd rather only do it once!!:D

Bill

Ben
04-19-2002, 08:42 PM
Yep, once I saw the new cap I realized prying it off would be foolish. Removed the cylinder head and put the new cap in. Also adjusted valve clearances. It was strange, the crank case bolts smelled like brunt oil but I couldn't see any evidence of excessive heat.